PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Dugast/FMB road tires?

earlfoss
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
I am looking around to decide what to run on my race wheels this season. I do a decent mix of crits and rr's so I would tend to err on the side of a do-it-all tire.

Tufo has been my race tire, the S33 Pro. It rides like a garden hose would but lasts forever.

I will not use Vittorias. They do not conform to my Bontrager Aeolus rims very well at all.

I've been considering:

FMB 25mm Paris Roubaix
FMB Comp CX

They seem to cost as much as any other higher end tubie.

I'm not sure what the weight hit is that you take on the Paris Roubaix models.

I'm also not sure if they're worth using for actual race tires, seems most use them as a boutique thingy, non competition use etc.

If anyone has experience with these, I'd appreciate any feedback.

merlincustom1
01-22-2013, 04:00 AM
No experience, but Boonen's run Paris Roubaix on Paris Roubaix.

uber
01-22-2013, 04:01 AM
I have FMB Competition Cx on one of my bikes. They feel smoother than other tires I have tried. I can't comment on longevity yet, but I love the way they ride. I am not a racer. I had heard that they roll nicer than Veloflex Carbon tubulars but may not last as long.

saab2000
01-22-2013, 04:49 AM
I had some FMB Competition CX 25s a few years ago. There are no smoother tubulars out there. Some are close and some may equal these (like Veloflex) but none are smoother. Additionally, they went on straight and round and I can't say that for all tubulars, even high end ones.

The negative (if you can call it that) is the natural rubber sidewalls, which begin to dry rot rather quickly. I would say they need occasional reapplications of rubber latex to the side walls.

Finally, a few of mine flatted for no apparent reason. No puncture, nothing. Just dead. No idea if it was a bad valve or what but that always sours me on a tire and I've had it happen with Vittoria and FMB and never with Veloflex or Continental.

They're certainly worth a try if you know what you are getting - a handmade tubular which is as good as any out there but made for the tubular aficionados of the world, not the average guy who never wants to think about his bike.

palincss
01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
They're certainly worth a try if you know what you are getting - a handmade tubular which is as good as any out there but made for the tubular aficionados of the world, not the average guy who never wants to think about his bike.

On the other hand, is any tubular made for the "average guy who never wants to think about his bike?"

saab2000
01-22-2013, 07:08 AM
On the other hand, is any tubular made for the "average guy who never wants to think about his bike?"

Good point....

oldpotatoe
01-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Conto Sprinter and the new Vittoria 25mm 290 TPI tire..both..less expensive than FMB/Dugast. Hot vulcanized meaning the tread is chemically heated/attached onto the casing, not cold, just glued on.

saab2000
01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Conto Sprinter and the new Vittoria 25mm 290 TPI tire..both..less expensive than FMB/Dugast. Hot vulcanized meaning the tread is chemically heated/attached onto the casing, not cold, just glued on.

I've had issues with the 'new' Vittoria valves and have had 'mystery flats' on the Vittorias as well, both the old 290s and the 320 tpi versions. No apparent holes or punctures, but dead nonetheless. I've not had that with Continental or Veloflex.

I want to like Vittoria. They ride pretty nicely. I just find it hard to trust them.

I am tempted to try another set of Continental Competition Vectran, this time in the 25mm size and run them at about 90 psi. They're super tough, durable tubulars and the ride isn't bad at all, contrary to some opinions. Not quite Veloflex-like, but pretty good.

merckx
01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I like Conti Comps in 25c. As noted, durable as heck and ride just fine. I also have some FMB CX in 25c and they ride fine too but just not as durable. I would really consider the typical road conditions where you ride. I live in New Belgium and the Conti Comps seem to be the best tool for the job.

vpierce1
01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I used a set of CXs this summer on my race wheels. Awesome ride, they glue up straight, and people certainly like to ohh and ahh about the expensive rubber. The downside, as mentioned before, the flat fairly easily. Surprisingly mine was my front. I put some caffe latex in it to finish out the season on them.

Would I buy them again? I doubt it but only because I can't get a good deal on them through the LBS. If paying full price for any other tubular, why not shell out a little extra for the FMBs if they're for racing? I'd say if you have the cash go for it.

krismac23
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
My go to are the conti comps or recently the gp4000. But I'm intrigued with the new force and attack combo. I'm just a big fan if the black chili compound. Always feel like I can lean them harder.

yakstone
01-23-2013, 06:35 AM
I roll on either the FMB Com CX, PR or Veloflex Carbons. Great riding tires.

mister
01-23-2013, 08:15 AM
fmb PR doesn't really seem like a racing tire to me
so maybe a CX but like saab stated the sidewall is fragile, as is the whole tire
but the basetape is awesome and they roll really nice
one that i got was a little bumpy but the other two were fine...didn't bother me that much as it is a handmade tire

for racing i'd probably just run a conti competition, find the right air pressure and it'll ride fine.

i'm not crazy about the vittorias but i've got two new ones on a bike and they really do ride nice as well...for half the price of fmb's too

Lionel
01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
FMB PR is a racing tire for PR.

FMB Comp CX is an all around tubular for racing.

They are the best tubular money can buy (with Dugast and Veloflex) and will be head and shoulder above a tufo.

krismac23
01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
FMB PR is a racing tire for PR.

FMB Comp CX is an all around tubular for racing.

They are the best tubular money can buy (with Dugast and Veloflex) and will be head and shoulder above a tufo.

I agree