PDA

View Full Version : Bike tour on the Via Claudia Augusta

monkeypants
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi folks,
I know there are experienced tourists here on the forum. So was wondering if anyone here has done a multi-day tour of the Via Claudia Augusta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Claudia_Augusta)?

A friend and I are planning on a four-day credit card tour of the last 350 km segment of the route (north to south, Austria to Treviso, Italy).

I've read a couple of tour journals on crazyguyonabike and I plan on getting a map of the route once we get to Austria. Apart from general impressions of the route, I'm also wondering if I have the appropriate gearing to climb the one Alpine pass (Reschen approx. 1500 metres).

My Surly Crosscheck is equipped with a 50-36 crank and 11-32 nine-speed cassette. This gives me a low of 30 gear inches. I know 20" is typically advised for loaded touring but I/we won't be carrying a lot and we're only going to be on the road for 4-5 nights. That said, I have no real experience tackling big extended climbs. I was thinking of erring on the safe side and getting a mountain/road triple or something but seeing as it's mostly downhill aside from the pass...

Would love to hear impressions/thoughts on the route or the gearing question. Thanks!