PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull: harmful to health

toaster
11-01-2005, 11:45 PM
www.redbullroadrage.com

This event is closed to the public. 25 of the best descending talent on bikes are going to tackle La Tuna Canyon in Malibu, California. This is a 2 mile , 2,000 ft. plunge down a very dangerous stretch of road with 120 degree turns, drop-offs, and 60+ mph speeds.

I don't get it. Why ask the best cycling descenders to risk life and limb for money and media fame and then not let us watch? Maybe so they can produce a DVD, edit out the death and carnage and sell it to kids too young to consume this toxic adult beverage.

SGP
11-02-2005, 06:42 AM
The cost of insurance for an event like this must be amazing. What if a contestant missiles in to a spectator?

ergott
11-02-2005, 06:50 AM
What, no "Falcon"?

Argos
11-02-2005, 07:11 AM
He was invited but had a late season operation on his bum, similar to O. Friere, but not as bad. Otherwise I think he was in.

dirtdigger88
11-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Insurance- where would they put the people to be able to see the event but not be in harms way

did you read the blurb on the bikes- they state the UCI lifter the ban on disk brakes- ?

Is this for everyrace- is that a fact?

Jason

Too Tall
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
That's "El Falcon" isn't it? My gosh, very cool to watch several tours back. Let's not forget Greg L.

Need we ask why???? Because it's there.

ergott
11-02-2005, 09:20 AM
That's "El Falcon" isn't it? My gosh, very cool to watch several tours back. Let's not forget Greg L.

Need we ask why???? Because it's there.

Actually, it's "Il Falco" since he's Italian.

ergott
11-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Insurance- where would they put the people to be able to see the event but not be in harms way

did you read the blurb on the bikes- they state the UCI lifter the ban on disk brakes- ?

Is this for everyrace- is that a fact?

Jason

Does the UCI even distinguish between road and cyclocross for bike regulations?

BumbleBeeDave
11-02-2005, 10:17 AM
. . . any domestic or European team director letting their riders do this if there was any way to prevent them from participating.

The obvious ploy is to film it and sell the DVD or play it on pay-per-view. But I would imagine they would leave the crashes in--the more the better. They know why so many people go to NASCAR races . . .

As a rider I would run as fast as I can the other way, knowing that with an event like this, the route would most likely be laid out ot ENCOURAGE crashes for entertainment value.

BBDave

ti_boi
11-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds less like cycling and more like an extreme sport like those downhill Luge races. My guess is that the tattoo and piercing crowd will be the participants (disclaimer: too old and un-hip to have either baody art or metal objects protruding)

pdonk
11-02-2005, 05:42 PM
This event probably does not have a UCI sanction, so equipment rules don't apply.

Too bad it is the same weekend as cross nationals up here and a UCI cross event, it would have been nice to see Steve Bauer race close to home.

ti_boi
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
www.redbullroadrage.com

This event is closed to the public. 25 of the best descending talent on bikes are going to tackle La Tuna Canyon in Malibu, California. This is a 2 mile , 2,000 ft. plunge down a very dangerous stretch of road with 120 degree turns, drop-offs, and 60+ mph speeds.

I don't get it. Why ask the best cycling descenders to risk life and limb for money and media fame and then not let us watch? Maybe so they can produce a DVD, edit out the death and carnage and sell it to kids too young to consume this toxic adult beverage.

As a side note, if you check out the equipment, they are in some pretty bomb proof body armour.

I own a lot of that stuff myself from the motorcycling days. Some of it I wear snowboarding and lemme tell you, they take some of the pain out of a fall. Ice can be pretty hard, but my body armour just laughs it off.

These guys will be fine. They need to learn how to fall, and most weigh probably 15o soaking wet.

columbusslx
11-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Is this going to be televised?? (agree with post about Salvodelli, he is the best.)

toaster
11-03-2005, 08:15 AM
The promoter of this event is quoted by CyclingNews.com as saying pro road riders like Jullich, Yates, Hincapie, and even Lance Armstrong would want to compete for this title after somebody claims the title of fastest descender.

I don't think so.

ti_boi
11-03-2005, 08:22 AM
The promoter of this event is quoted by CyclingNews.com as saying pro road riders like Jullich, Yates, Hincapie, and even Lance Armstrong would want to compete for this title after somebody claims the title of fastest descender.

I don't think so.

You know promoters blow smoke. What is interesting about this is that is it not about endurance or really cycling really. It seems more about nerves and just holding on! Plus perhaps some luck that no one collides with you. Sure there is skill, but I would think that anyone could enter.

Michael Maddox
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Wouldn't a motorcycle racer kick butt here? Those Superbike nuts go a LOT faster through similar turns, no?

SGP
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
check out this bike ;)

flydhest
11-07-2005, 12:13 PM
you gotta love how the site says that a light bike is important for the competition. Uh..., why would you care about the weight of the bike in this context. It's not as though the extra pound is going to keep you from being able to make a turn and I think gravity works with mass in this case.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Did you see that some of the guys added 10-1/2 and 11-1/2 tooth cogs to get more even spacing???

Dr. Doofus
11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
you'd think that the most important thing in an event like this would be handling

and handling

and handling

so how much fun was it to bomb down that canyon on a budget giant?