PDA

View Full Version : Odd lacing pattern

oliver1850
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Is there a theory to this, or did someone just wing it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-High-Flange-Rear-Hub-36-Hole-/111000921637?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=0CsvbAGizwE8j7hWl90XGyFrCog%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

EricEstlund
01-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Google "crows foot".

Pros and cons, but the wheels do go round.

oliver1850
01-21-2013, 05:05 PM
thanks Eric. It seems it would put a lot of stress on the radial spokes, relative to the crossed ones.

ultraman6970
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Never tried to lace like that, but that has been around for so long as I been in this planet.

Maybe just a hipster selling his crap hehe

EricEstlund
01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I've laced a few wheels that way, and to my knowledge, none had any issues (this was maybe 10-12 years ago when the novelty lacings were having a bit of a boom).

xjahx
01-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Maybe have 50 sets of wheels out there laced with the said crows feet pattern; outside of the usual crash related happenings, I have never heard a negative about durability.

I built them primarily when I was only building Deep V / high flange DA, Campy, or Phil wheels for city-based track bikes. Made the wheels a bit more unique than the other offerings.

As for twisted spokes, I have a few sets for myself and a few friends, but I will not sell them.

oliver1850
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
From what I read other places, there seems to be the view that it's best used only on the drive side. I can't visualize what the other options on the non drive are. The wheel in the link looks like the non drive crossing spokes are at a different angle than the drive. Is this the only option, or could the crow's foot have been done on the non drive with the crossing spokes at the same angle as the drive side?

msl819
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe have 50 sets of wheels out there laced with the said crows feet pattern; outside of the usual crash related happenings, I have never heard a negative about durability.

I built them primarily when I was only building Deep V / high flange DA, Campy, or Phil wheels for city-based track bikes. Made the wheels a bit more unique than the other offerings.

As for twisted spokes, I have a few sets for myself and a few friends, but I will not sell them.

xjahx,

I had a set that were twisted that ended up with you in a trade. I never looked into the effects of twisting on the wheel. Other than aesthetics what advantages/disadvantages are there to novelty lacings such as twisting?

oldpotatoe
01-22-2013, 07:50 AM
xjahx,

I had a set that were twisted that ended up with you in a trade. I never looked into the effects of twisting on the wheel. Other than aesthetics what advantages/disadvantages are there to novelty lacings such as twisting?

You said it, 'novelty' lacing as in circus bike wheel lacing. Twisty spokes.

I've done crow's foot a couple of times you can see one when Olle Ritter does the time trial in Le Course en Tete..wheels look to be 24h, crows foot lacing, tied and soldered at 3 spoke joint.

Gummee
01-22-2013, 08:34 AM
My Ritchey WCS Zeta wheels are laced like that.

They'e wheels.

M

oldpotatoe
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Google "crows foot".

Pros and cons, but the wheels do go round.

I did...