PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Uvex sunglasses?

shovelhd
01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Uvex sunglasses, good or bad?

I am going to get myself a new pair of sunglasses for racing. My current glasses are Tifosi Envy Nite Lite Phototec grey photochromic. They fit my small head well, and the photochromic lenses are great. The problem is, Tifosi doesn't make them anymore. However, Uvex makes the Active Variomatic Small which is similar. Is anyone a Uvex dealer on this site?

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

krazygl00
01-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Cleansnipe/Chainlove (or one of the other bike deal sites) had some Uvex glasses on sale for something crazy like $20...I snapped up two pair and they have been the best fitting AND best looking riding glasses I've had. My only criticism is that the "clear" lens is very slightly tinted, so for nighttime riding they're not the best. I still wear them at night and there have been no issues but when I take them off things are just that little bit brighter.

I'll see if I can dig up the link.

William
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Not recently, but back in the early-mid 90's I had some that were great. Then they disappeared from the U.S. market. At leat I couldn't find any for quite a while. I'd give them a go again.

William

shovelhd
01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks. I would be paying a whole lot more than $20 for what I want. I was mostly interested in the quality of the optics. The Tifosi optics are good but not great. I have a pair of Oakleys that I found on the side of the road that have better, crisper optics. If there was a Uvex dealer nearby I would check them out for myself but there is not.

dancinkozmo
01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
...i got some cheap from sierra trading post....imho they are great, no complaints at all....i put them on and dont give them another thought after that.

Tandem Rider
01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I sometimes get Uvex safety glasses from work, I have used them in a pinch for riding and they worked quite well in the wind and rain. Bad optics usually give me a headache but these were fine. These are the ones that look like sport glasses, not traditional safety glasses. Clear was clear, don't know about the tinted ones.

wc1934
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
not sure what you are looking for, but there are a few here:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/default.aspx?homePageID=1549

shovelhd
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I found a deal on Sierra Trading Post for the glasses I was looking for, $48. I'll check back after I've ridden them a few times.

shovelhd
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I have ridden them a few times, once on a cloudy day, and once on a sunny day.

They get darker than the Tifosi set I have. Contrast is good. Color accuracy is good. Full transition takes about five minutes. The small fit is perfect. The nose bridge was fine right out of the box. Coverage for my small face is excellent. I had no ventilation issues or problems with fogging. Optics are about on par with the Tifosi, very good but not the best.

The real test will be racing in the city on a hot summer day.