PDA

View Full Version : Force VS. Ultegra

iRide
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Looking at a Specialized Tarmac expert SL4, build options of either Shimano Ultegra, or SRAM Force. I like the durability of Shimano, but the price and weight of SRAM cant be beat! Suggestions?

fa63
01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
I ride SRAM (Apex, Rival and Red) and have only used Ultegra on a couple rental bikes. That said, to me the hands-down choice is SRAM. I love the positive feedback during shifts (some call it harsh) and the ergonomics of SRAM. Ultegra on the other hand felt vague and disconnected. Maybe it was a setup issue with the rentals...

IJWS
01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Sram for sure. Force murders ultegra. Force is superior to Ultegra in weight, price, feel...radness? OK, I just made up that last one.

TAW
01-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Ultegra. Easier and works great. Feel is subjective, and Ultegra stuff works very well when set up properly.

oldpotatoe
01-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Looking at a Specialized Tarmac expert SL4, build options of either Shimano Ultegra, or SRAM Force. I like the durability of Shimano, but the price and weight of SRAM cant be beat! Suggestions?

Ultegra, 6700, IMHO, from a bike shop perspective, is much more durable. Also, Front der action is far superior with shimano as is things like BB durablity. sram is cheap and light, no doubt.

Pete Mckeon
01-20-2013, 09:00 AM
WHat type of riding and amount of riding can assist you in making a choice.

If you are making a choice of compact - -either works
- WHat is largest rear cog set? If 28 ok than that is largest for shimano. If larger SRAM offers one
- Mega mile rider - - Ultegra is most durable, If one or two thousand a year, then both will work a few years
- Shifting action -and hand placement on hoods - Pick the one you like best for they both are good.

I have used both and among friends it really is like a FORD vs CHEVY of old. "In general they are both ok. IT seems today that the younger folks prefer SRAM and yes they are less expensive. WIsh I could offer a single answer but for me personally - my travel bike is Ultegra 10 speed. My lust bike is CAMPY,

and my compact crank one is SRAM for I can have the same gear ratio as a SHIMANO triple with 28 rear by using SRAM compact with a 32 rear (SHIMANO does not offer one nor does campy:confused::confused:PETE

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-20-2013, 09:05 AM
CAMPY CENTAUR!!!;)

Seriously, try both and see what "feels" better. Trumps price, weight and, um radness. Every time.

IJWS
01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
CAMPY CENTAUR!!!;)

Seriously, try both and see what "feels" better. Trumps price, weight and, um radness. Every time.

+1! I'm resisting the urge to quote this 5 more times...although, i think radness may have to do with feel!!! It's hard to know since I just made it up.

ericssonboi
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Quiet smooth shifting of Ultegra; or the hard mechanical feel of SRAM...
Its weird switching between the two but i'm a diehard SRAM user

I Want Sachs?
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
CAMPY CENTAUR!!!;)

Agree with Campy as well. Never liked brake levers that traveled in more than one direction.

ofcounsel
01-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I switched from Campy Record 10 on my old bike to SRAM Force on my new bike. It's definitely weird at first. The Force stuff is pretty good, and I really like the aesthetics, more so than the Campy 10 I had. I've been pretty happy with it so far, but I'll be honest, Campy is nicer shifting.

fogrider
01-20-2013, 10:35 PM
it really comes down to preference. sram is lighter and cheaper, ultgera is pretty much the old dura ace, and campy is smooth and quiet. they all feel and function differently, but you really can't go wrong...another first world problem.

TomNY
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I have Sram Force w power dome cassette on one of my bikes; Cervelo R3. I have Shimano on other rides. Shimano is buttery smooth and functions very nice. Sram is super quick, with distinct clicks. It took a few rides for the double tap to be brainless, but the shifting is super fast, I love it. My buddy with his electronic Di1 stuff has wow, but I don't trust it. I have seen two people during GF NY , GF NJ looking for repairs to wire harnesses. Not for me at this point. BTW R3 15.4 lbs, Sram stuff is very light weight. My 13 year boy loves it so it must be cool.........

bluesea
01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
CAMPY CENTAUR!!!;)

Unfortunately for slow people like me (slow rider, slow learner), "trying" means buying. I need to have the stuff on the road in a familiar set up long enough before being able to make an informed decision. Have been with Campy for a long time, used Rival/Force/Red for 3 years, and finally have my first Shimano group almost ready to go (6600/6700).

beeatnik
01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Get Ultegra. And I'm starting to like Force, but unless you're racing or need an extra .25kph on a sprint, who cares about the weight difference. You'll get nicer downshifts (going into a lower gear that is) with Ultegra which makes climbing more fun.

SteveV0983
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
I've been using a form of Ultegra for over 20 years (600, 6500, 6600, and now 6600/6700 mix). Last year, I had a demo bike for a week that had Force and I was surprised how much I did like it. The brakes were great and I got used to the double tap quickly. I completely agree that Ultegra is much smoother and Force is crisper (although some may say clunkier). I really considered Force for the new bike, but in the end it was the front shifting that was the deal breaker for me. On Ultegra, you get FD trim on the both chain rings. On Force, the trim is only on the big ring. I personally found this unacceptable and, as usual, could not be happier with my Ultegra setup.

mvrider
01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
- WHat is largest rear cog set? If 28 ok than that is largest for shimano. If larger SRAM offers one

and my compact crank one is SRAM for I can have the same gear ratio as a SHIMANO triple with 28 rear by using SRAM compact with a 32 rear (SHIMANO does not offer one nor does campy:confused::confused:PETE

I've successfully installed XT Dyna-Sys (10-sp) cassettes (up to 36T) with Shimano road shifters & derailleurs (even with Di2). Depending on the frame and cassette, you may need old 7-, 8-, or 9-speed MTB rear derailleurs, but they're pretty easy to find.

And for Campy shifters, there's always the SRAMpagnolo option for wider range in the back.

mktng
01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Why did you overlook Rival? Very similar to force but slightly cheaper. So you can buy a group that's fast.. Light and durable. And have money for beer. Score!!

oldpotatoe
01-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Why did you overlook Rival? Very similar to force but slightly cheaper. So you can buy a group that's fast.. Light and durable. And have money for beer. Score!!

fast

mktng
01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Yuppppppppppp fast.

Hartlin
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
I have a few years on both Force and Ultegra. Ultegra is now, and will always be on all of my bikes. A big part of that is the levers, I like that they're bigger, and they feel better in my hands.

Durability is also another issue, whereas I found Shimano's BBs, chains and cassettes far better then SRAM.

I find Shimano much easier to work on as well.

krismac23
01-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Go rival or ultegra. Force isn't with the money for the grams u save and it doesn't perform better IMO like a jump to red would.

idragen
01-23-2013, 12:11 AM
I have a few years on both Force and Ultegra. Ultegra is now, and will always be on all of my bikes. A big part of that is the levers, I like that they're bigger, and they feel better in my hands.

Durability is also another issue, whereas I found Shimano's BBs, chains and cassettes far better then SRAM.

I find Shimano much easier to work on as well.

+1 for the feel of Ultegra shifters, and the DA ones for that matter =)

soulspinner
01-23-2013, 05:47 AM
QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1278656]fast[/QUOTE]

:p

mcteague
01-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Yuppppppppppp fast.

You mean it moves the chain across the cogs in a rapid manner? If not, you is crazy!:D

Tim