PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN: Blue Ibis Spanky - Northern California

sean.allan.t
01-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi,

As my first post I'd like to alert the greater cycling community to my bike that was recently stolen. Unfortunately I can't locate the serial number. However, it was a unique bike that could catch the eye of a discerning bike aficionado:

1998 Ibis Spanky Steel ("Moron" tubing) road bike
Hand made in Sebastopol, CA
Blue frame, carbon Kestrel fork w/ 1" steerer
Some off-stock blue touchup paint on the seat and top tubes.
55 cm c-c seat tube
Mavic Cosmic, blue anodized deep v rims
Full Dura Ace 7700 9-speed group
Serfas saddle
Ritchey stem grey anodized.

A couple of photos are at: https://picasaweb.google.com/112728576420421231229/IbisSpanky#

If you happen to know its whereabouts, please let me know. Thanks!

Sean

Louis
01-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Hey Sean,

Good luck finding the bike. Thieves suck.

On a happier note, neat Alfa jersey! And a neat kid. :)

I have an old red Giordana one (jersey, not child :p ) I bought off Ebay a while back. The zipper's messed up, so I may have to have it replaced, or maybe I'll just use it in the summer. 1) Do you have / used to have an Alfa? I sold my Graduate a long time ago, but still dream of getting a GTV 2000. 2) Have you found a source for "modern" Alfa jerseys? As best I can tell they aren't in production, but if they are I'd love to get more.

Thanks, and again, good luck getting the bike back.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Louis

Peter B
01-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Sorry to hear about this Sean. Was the bike stolen up there? I can alert a friend in Eureka and keep an eye out myself in Sonoma and Nevada Counties. Hope you can recover this one.

slidey
01-19-2013, 01:27 AM
Sorry about the lost bike, Sean!

I'm not from the Bay Area, but I came across an article a while back which was talking about the economics of bike theft, in which they highlighted a couple of spots in SF where stolen bikes are usually brought out to be sold, etc. Maybe a few locals can help you with this.

Good luck!

jtakeda
01-19-2013, 04:18 AM
SF/East Bay on the lookout for ya. Thats my size too so I'm more alert to things that are my size. Ill try and hit Laney and Ashby flea markets this weekend

sean.allan.t
01-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind replies. My apologies being a little slow to get back to you.

Louis: Thanks for your reply. 1) No, I never had an Alfa Romeo 2) Don't know of a source, but I don't wear my jersey much, so I would love for you to have it if you want me to send it to you. Let me know.

Peter B: Yeah, the bike was stolen up here in Trinidad, near Eureka. Please, tell your friend there about it, that would be great! Thanks!

slidey: Anyone else in SF willing to keep an eye out would be great! Do you remember those key locations? jtakeda seems to know a few.

jtakeda: Nice! Thanks for checking those flea markets. I appreciate it!

Louis
01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind offer, but I would not want literally take the jersey off you back! (And besides, I can tell from your frame size that the jersey would be too small.) I already have one Alfa jersey; if I'm patient I'm sure I'll find another similar to yours in my size.

Good luck with the bike, and don't be a stranger on the forum - worst case scenario, you might be looking for a replacement for the Ibis and I'm sure you'll find a worthy successor here in the Classifieds.

Louis

slidey
01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Hey sean,

I think jtakeda mentioned the spots I vaguely recall from that article. But as Louis said, if things shouldn't work out favourably with the Ibis...there's always the classifieds here :)

sean.allan.t
01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks Louis and slidey.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the classifieds. The bikes that I'm keen to try and find to replace the Ibis would be in the genre of a Cielo Sportif Classic or IF Club Racer ...I like the Hampsten Strada Bianca too, but it is pricey!

I always followed and really liked Andy Hampsten ...got to meet him at the 1988 Coors Classic at the Presidio in San Fransicso. I even rode the circuit that day ahead of the pro race with my 7-Eleven jersey and white Lake shoes (I wanted to be like him at age 17!). I think Jeff Pierce won the day ...but could be just remembering his win on the Champs Elysees.

Thanks again for all the kind replies!

learningtoride
01-20-2013, 03:28 PM
-

sean.allan.t
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the moral support Nicki (learningtoride)! Yes, I'm looking forward to a new ride too, though I miss the Ibis alot. Maybe it'll turn up someday. -Peace.

sean.allan.t
12-27-2013, 12:47 AM
For those who posted kind replies to my plea for help looking for my stolen Ibis Spanky, I thought I'd let you know that I found it! Stopped in at a local pawn shop (Eureka, CA) about one year after it was stolen and there is was. Pretty banged up, rusty, and the nice Mavic Cosmic wheelset gone, but my bike nonetheless. Glad to have it back and will be resurrecting it with a fresh powdercoat and new decals from Chuck Ibis site. Thanks to all who kept your eyes out.

-Sean

jtakeda
12-27-2013, 12:50 AM
No way! Somebody probably stole it and pawned it to buy drugs or something.

nbl78s
12-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Awesome!!! Spanky's are hard to replace, glad to hear a happy ending on this one.

benitosan1972
12-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Happy Endings! :hello: