PDA

View Full Version : OT - selling unique stuff on Ebay

d_douglas
01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I have a q for Ebayers, as I have stopped using that cursed website.

I am cleaning out my in-laws house as they are radically downsizing and moving to an apartment. I have turned up some cool stuff that I think would be worth something, and am not sure how to research it. My in-laws are not broke, but well, they could use the money at this point.

My father-in-law is a gold and silver medallist in the 1956 and 1960 Olympics, respectively. I am in process of discussing with him whether he is OK with selling the stuff. If he isn't, it gets shelved, tossed, sent to the Canadian Olympic museum, etc. The medals, winning oars, oarlocks and seats (rowing, naturally) are of course being kept (plus an awesome full-sized Olympic flag that he accidentally put in his suitcase from the stadium in Rome!) so these remaining items are expendable.

I have unearthed a bunch of cool maps, city guides, daily programmes, etc. from Roma 1960 that i think some Olympics nut would love. I don't want to sell each item separately (because it is too much hassle), but does anyone have recommendations on how to do this? I suppose that we just set a minimum and see what happens, right?

Secondly, his father was a Freemason. I am not sure if this is really cool, but I turned up a few of these kooky leather waist aprons that they likely wore during meetings (I am thinking the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo) plus some other little FM esoterica. Again, I have to get his clearance, as this was supposed to be a secret society, so maybe his Dad's name is still on these things somewhere.

So, is this the way to sell this stuff? Or has Ebay gone the way of a clearinghouse?

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS I snapped a couple of photos of the programme page on cycling competitions (match sprints, road races, etc) - will post here for laughs. the only name I recognized was Faggin, but I am not interested in cycling history, per se.

tiretrax
01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I suggest talking with sports memorabilia dealers in a big city, whether in Canada or the US. Also, there is probably a sports-centric auction house, but I'd contact the usual suspects - Sotheby's, Christies, Bonham's, Butterfields (owned by eBay).

SoCalSteve
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
I suggest talking with sports memorabilia dealers in a big city, whether in Canada or the US. Also, there is probably a sports-centric auction house, but I'd contact the usual suspects - Sotheby's, Christies, Bonham's, Butterfields (owned by eBay).

Butterfields hasn't owned eBay for many,many years. Butterfields is owned by the English auction house Bonhams.