PDA

View Full Version : Decisions...roubaix sl4 or custom

buddybikes
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
My mind in going like a ping pong ball. Looking for a new frame to build up with Shimano 9000, have nice carbon wheels. I am normal sized, 5'11 person but with a yucky back and knee. So I want a more relaxed front end, 72.5 or so with low BB. Have opportunity to pickup the new SL4 roubaix for 2800.00 and get now, or wait and get a dream bike from Firefly or IF and get formally fitted. I ride a TI mountain bike, Fat Chance which I love. However the SL4 would certainly be much lighter and a TI road bike. Comments welcome, should I just do custom and wait 7 months or go with the SL4 factory made machine.

steve

the bottle ride
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Custom for so many reasons.

eddief
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
but the bb drop is .5 less and the top tube is .5 more. You are talking about many apples and oranges. A Roubaix is a dramatically different looking beast than most custom carbon. Some like the look, some detest it. For many, me, the jury is out about how they ride one compared to the other. You could get a fit done right now, have the fitter tell you what geo you need, decide if off the rack will do the job or not. If yes, and you like off the rack go for it. If you don't fit right on off the rack, the decision is made for you. I like a low bb and, as discussed, that trait is nearly impossible to find off the rack.

christian
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I think if you're racing at a high level today, it's plastic all the way.

For pleasure riding, I'd rather have a steel or Ti bike, but that's really an aesthetic judgement. All that said, a Firefly or a Roubaix? It doesn't take many Zertz of analysis to come to a conclusion there.

(Heads up: The unit of bicycle pre-purchasing analysis is the Zert.)

MattTuck
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Not to be overly semantic, but it really depends on your view of 'custom'. My view is more weighted on the 'hand built' side of custom builders, and feeling that connection to a skilled craftsman building a one of a kind bike. Could I have found a satisfactory fit on a stock bike? Yes. Do I expect the fit to be better on the custom? Absolutely.

Unless you have really specific physiological reasons to need a custom geometry, I think the reason to go 'custom' is the connection to the builder and the feeling that you're riding something that is one of a kind.

The specialized is great bike, but will not give you that intrinsic connection. Unless you're looking for a connection to a factory worker in Taiwan. But then again, you could just have some custom wheels built up (since wheels make all the difference anyway) by one of the wheelbuilders, and you could feel a connection that way ;)

eddief
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM
PhD thesis perhaps in the works?

For pleasure riding, I'd rather have a steel or Ti bike, but that's really an aesthetic judgement. All that said, a Firefly or a Roubaix? It doesn't take many Zertz of analysis to come to a conclusion there.

(Heads up: The unit of bicycle pre-purchasing analysis is the Zert.)

christian
01-18-2013, 11:27 AM
PhD thesis perhaps in the works?Haha, I leave that to Philippe and Ari. They're using up the world's Zertz.

AngryScientist
01-18-2013, 11:31 AM

if you're racing at a high level today, you ride whatever your sponsor puts under you.

FlashUNC
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Custom, a thousand times over.

AngryScientist
01-18-2013, 11:40 AM
if you've got a bad back and knee, IMO, it's a no-brainer to work with a good fitter and get something made for you that will put you into the best position possible given your physical issues.

fuzzalow
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Have opportunity to pickup the new SL4 roubaix for 2800.00 and get now, or wait and get a dream bike from Firefly or IF and get formally fitted.

And there is the rub. Is there, or is there not, something amiss with your setup & position?

If there is something not right about your current setup & position, it is folly to continue that incorrect setup by the purchase of a stock SL4 that you will then contort yourself into with your current setup because you can get a good deal on it for $2,800.

It is equally risky to place your hope with a fitter, irrespective of that fitter's reputation or skill, to fix a position & fit problem and have those numbers be carried forward as the spec for a custom bike. Because you won't know that that fitters solution actually works until you have ridden those numbers for a while. Trust yourself, a fitter's solution isn't good until you say it is. Sending off numbers fairly immediately from a fit to a custom builder is not a good idea.

Oh yeah, IMO custom builder is the way to go - support people and companies that make real things.

Bkat
01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Custom, a thousand times over.

x100!

boxerboxer
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
if you're racing at a high level today, you ride whatever your sponsor puts under you.

:banana: Which is plastic. :banana:

danielpack22@ma
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
If it were me, I'd go to a Specialized shop with a Fit Cycle (or some such) and start with general what-looks-right sizing and then do a LONG ride and tweak the fit to a what-feels-right size. You'll want to find a balance.

After that I would see how the sizing can be applied to an SL4. If you're lucky the shop will have an SL4 they can set up and let you test ride.

Happily for me, my LBS is both a Specialized and an IF dealer. So if the SL4 didn't work out, they could apply what we've learned to a new IF.

For full disclosure, I own 4 IFs and one Firefly. No Specialized.

Good Luck!

dp

Fishbike
01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Benfits of the Specialized:
Feeling that you are getting a good deal
A proven, race-worthy frame
A well-reviewed and well-regarded frame
Somewhat pioneering upright geometry (for a big manufacturer)
Not so ugly lately
Instant gratification
Relatively lightweight frame

Benefits of custom (assuming Firefly or IF or something comparable)

One of a kind frame
Should last forever
Custom geometry
Perfect fit
Custom design
More of an emotional attachment to frame
Building a rapport with a builder
Made in USA
If there is an issue, they will fix it
Delightful agony of waiting

buddybikes
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
I went to the shop today, personally I take the color schemes of the new specialized. I do fit a 56 very well. I currently ride and SL2, a friend is interested in the frame so I have this opportunity, whether now or later in the season. Have Monday off so I think a trip to Boston is in the works, I am already designing in my head some added color work to do on the frame.

No I am not a racer, but a 55 year old who has many miles under me, starting in 1970. I have brazed 2 frames myself, the second one painted by Chris Chance right after he started and before he build his first Fat. This is my mental comfort of working with locally hard working people. Also thought about IF, but they appear more image conscious now.

mcteague
01-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Not knocking Specialized but, like Trek, they are EVERYWHERE. If the wait is not a concern why would you not go custom?

Tim

ericssonboi
01-18-2013, 01:31 PM
At $2800, is this a full bike build or just a frame?

A custom frame is going to add up to that price alone.. plus for obvious reasons; custom frames are always hard on resale if you do intend to change your mind

buddybikes
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
This is the S-work roubaix frame only. I will be building whatever up either with my current mix of 7800/7900 stuff or getting a new 9000 group. Have wheels that I love, Bontrager xxx lite carbon's, super light and bombproof. If going 9000, just need cassette body changed.

Fishbike
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
So are you leaning towards the Spesh or are you planning a trip to Boston to meet with Firefly? Confused here. . . .am curious what you decide. . . .

buddybikes
01-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Think I am going into Boston to meet the Firefly team on Monday. It is the day before they move into some new refurbished space.

bluesea
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Imo the current Roubaix are out because internal derailleur cable routing is retArded.

c-record
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
+1

All good said here.

Benfits of the Specialized:
Feeling that you are getting a good deal
A proven, race-worthy frame
A well-reviewed and well-regarded frame
Somewhat pioneering upright geometry (for a big manufacturer)
Not so ugly lately
Instant gratification
Relatively lightweight frame

Benefits of custom (assuming Firefly or IF or something comparable)

One of a kind frame
Should last forever
Custom geometry
Perfect fit
Custom design
More of an emotional attachment to frame
Building a rapport with a builder
Made in USA
If there is an issue, they will fix it
Delightful agony of waiting

54ny77
01-18-2013, 03:22 PM
for whatever it's worth....

i have an sl3, it's a great bike. i also have a few customs. purely an emotional attachment for the customs. the sl3 is a tool, plain & simple. and a very good one at that. rides different, not my everyday longer lower & slower cup o' geometry tea, but when i'm fit and want to hammer, it's awesome and can go far beyond my ability to push it.

honestly, i wouldn't overthink it. coin toss it if you need to. whatever works best for fit & budget is what i'd do. all of your options are good ones.

maunahaole
01-18-2013, 03:25 PM
SL4 is probably not a bad bike. But it is flavor of the week.

The Firefly will still be cool 10 years from now.