PDA

View Full Version : dnovo & dbrk, help us

Climb01742
02-28-2004, 09:07 AM
so, guys, help us explain to our significant others why that frame that just arrived is actually a good thing. a better idea, in fact, than a piece of jewelry for her, or cabinets for the kitchen, or snow tires for the car, or a new kidney for the dog (just kidding, sandy, the dog's kidney ALWAYS comes first.) so, guys, you must have the rap down by now. please, share and save our butts.

dnovo
02-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Lie. Dave N.

dbrk
02-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Lying comes after you get busted. Instead you try to time the delivery so that she's not around. Then you bring the bike to your "Bike Place" which of course refers to whereever she makes you "keep your junk out of the way." At this point you hurriedly get the box and all evidence of recent arrival somewhere beyond any LOS and proceed to build the bike or hang it up asap. Then when you take it out or she notices you say, "Oh, you mean this thing? This thing's been here forever..." She nods, knowing that you are likely lying and doubting that her memory has lapsed but she has no firm proof other than the stupit [sic] look on your face and her own knowledge that she really can't tell one rig from the other.

The only other alternative I can think of is to have married Aimee or Your Own Great Good Fortunate Heart who looks at a new bike with the joy of a woman who knows that you would much rather have an affair with a bicycle than anything animate (other than her). Alas, Krsna has Gopis and we have bicycles.

But I think dnovo's got it right: Lie. If it works for GWB and WJC [insert here anyone who does it with a straight face and then lies about lying], it can work for you too.

dbrk
who still gets the occasional, "where did that one come from" but who really does have a wife who "knows who she married...should I have expected you would change?"

hypnos
02-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Have your new frame painted the same color as one of your older bikes. When your new frame arrives, make the swap when she is not looking. "I'm just going to take my bike in for some service, dear" Viola!

bags27
02-28-2004, 10:37 AM
My mantra:
Whatever I buy is cheaper than owning a sail boat or belonging to a country club; and it's a lot better for my health.

Johny
02-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by dbrk
....Then when you take it out or she notices you say, "Oh, you mean this thing? This thing's been here forever..." She nods, knowing that you are likely lying and doubting that her memory has lapsed ....

....gets the occasional, "where did that one come from" but who really does have a wife who "knows who she married...should I have expected you would change?"

Hey dbrk,

Thanks for sharing.

John
whose dear wife once thought he was staying home with her when he was actually roadbiking outside: she counted his bikes and thought all of them were home...
P.S. I had only five road bikes at that time.
P.S.S. Nice weather in Rochester today; however, like hypnos, I have to work today. :(

e-RICHIE
02-28-2004, 10:52 AM
i supply bogus invoices to help get you
guys off the hook.

someday, and that day may never come,
i may ax you guys to return a favor.

e-RICHIE

ps

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Cranky
02-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I always tell my wife that at least she's not a "Golf Widow"! I'd be gone for many more hours and come home drunk after the 19th hole......that seems to work.;) And having several bikes is like having a bag full of clubs.

Kevin
02-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Deny. It makes you both feel better. Here are a few examples of questions asked by my wife and my stock answer.

Is that a new frame? NO

Is that a new wheel? NO

Is that a new jersey? NO

Does this make my a$$ look fat? NO.

Kevin

Climb01742
02-28-2004, 03:02 PM
kevin, have you represented people testifying before senate subcommittees? those answers sound strangely familiar. :p

Kevin
02-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Upon the advice of DaveN, I don't recall.

Kevin

dnovo
02-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I absolutely state that I cannot recall whether I did, or did not, or would have, or would not have, given such advice to Kevin or to anyone within the profession or otherwise required to counsel or adivse a client or other individual or entity, and if I had made such a comment or could be constured as making such a comment or giving such counsel, it was or could have been or may have possibly or perhaps been taken out of context and should not be construed in such a fashion as to indicate assent or disagreement with the proposition being advanced. ("Such is a clear as the Summer Sun!" HENRY V, Act I)

I trust I make myself obscure? Dave N.

Sam in VA
02-28-2004, 09:40 PM
If your bike is used and it is lugged steel, just tell her (truthfully) that it is an investment. You can always sell it on eBay. The longer you keep it, the more it'll be worth. You should buy more!

Needs Help
02-28-2004, 09:46 PM
lol. great thread. :)

Kevin
02-29-2004, 06:09 AM
Upon further reflection (DaveN's post), I no longer recall even my own name. Even if I was able to recall my own name, which I don't, it would be hearsay since I would be repeating what my parents told me when I was quite young. Which also explains why I can't recall it now.

Lance? ( I don't think so)
Indurain? (I don't think so)
LeMond? (I don't think so)
Batman? Could be.