PDA

View Full Version : Huge part of the Lance story that has been missed

dekindy
01-18-2013, 07:28 AM
The effect that Cancer has on you even if you are cured.

I have no intimate or first hand knowledge of this but have read a lot about it. Many spouses only ever see glimpses of the personality of their loved one post cancer.

Imagine how you would be if Cancer cells invaded your body, any part of the body. An this effect would be even more likely if these cells entered your sex organs and brain. You also lose massive amounts of body weight, lie in a hospital bed for weeks and months knowing that you the odds are against you. Then pump radioactive material through your body that kills cells indiscrimately. Most Cancer treatments work because the cells are dividing and reproducing rapidly and using lots of energy so they are impacted the most by the chemo.

Some people are beaten down and mellowed. Others have their personality traits magnified. I am not making excuses for Lance but take that into consideration when you are calling him a scumbad. He is a scumbag that survived an experience that has long term consequences.

texbike
01-18-2013, 07:35 AM

I have no intimate or first hand knowledge of this but have read a lot about it. Many spouses only ever see glimpses of the personality of their loved one post cancer.

Imagine how you would be if Cancer cells invaded your body, any part of the body. An this effect would be even more likely if these cells entered your sex organs and brain. You also lose massive amounts of body weight, lie in a hospital bed for weeks and months knowing that you the odds are against you. Then pump radioactive material through your body that kills cells indiscrimately. Most Cancer treatments work because the cells are dividing and reproducing rapidly and using lots of energy so they are impacted the most by the chemo.

Some people are beaten down and mellowed. Others have their personality traits magnified. I am not making excuses for Lance but take that into consideration when you are calling him a scumbad. He is a scumbag that survived an experience that has long term consequences.

A sociopath is a sociopath regardless of what created the monster.

Texbike

J.Greene
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Pre Cancer Lance was an asshole results driven athlete who used and discarded people determined by how much they could help him. I don't think cancer changed the sociopath in the way you are implying.

Joachim
01-18-2013, 07:43 AM

I'm trying to follow your rationale, but are you trying to establish a causal relationship between the biological effects of anti-cancer treatment (regardless of chemo and/or radiation) and personality change or the experience of anti-cancer treatment with a change in personality traits? Like we would say in science, your statement is a whole lot of handwaving....

dekindy
01-18-2013, 07:51 AM
I'm trying to follow your rationale, but are you trying to establish a causal relationship between the biological effects of anti-cancer treatment (regardless of chemo and/or radiation) and personality change or the experience of anti-cancer treatment with a change in personality traits? Like we would say in science, your statement is a whole lot of handwaving....

So all the first hand reports of cancer survivor's loved ones are bogus?

TomP
01-18-2013, 07:56 AM
I have had cancer. It was testicular cancer and I had three recurrences where it reurned to other parts of my body. I never had radiation, but I did have 3 major surgeries and over 40 rounds of chemo-therapy. No question ALL of it changes you and the changes occur over many many years.

I was a pretty bad person before my cancer, during and after it for awhile. I so deeply regret things I have done. I have tried to apologize to people I hurt and let them know that I don't expect or want forgiveness. Just for them to know that I acknowledge it was my fault and I'm sorry.

Joachim
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Definitely a statement regarding the biological effects of chemo and personality traits is handwaving at best. Getting through the experience of treatment and a change in personality might be more possible. Thats why I asked your rationale. In the case of Lance, he has some serious narcissistic and sociopathic personality traits and whether those has been "magnified" or not, he had them before cancer and he will always have them. Nothing really important to consider except that he is full of cr@p.

ultraman6970
01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Well... I Have seen cancer survivors before and after and some got really weird after the treatment. Remember a 2 girls at the school that had some weird ass behavior due to the treatment but can't assure you that you get a sociopath just because of that. Because in the 2 or 3 people I know they got weird enough to notice that some crap happened in their heads but they did not become evil masterminds you know.

This guy (LA) looks pretty normal, well he has some weird ass looking sometimes that you dont know what is is going one in this head tho...

MarleyMon
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Pre Cancer Lance was an asshole results driven athlete who used and discarded people determined by how much they could help him. I don't think cancer changed the sociopath in the way you are implying.
He said he was not a bully before his diagnosis, so there.
By the way, did he even utter the "C" word last night?

Joachim
01-18-2013, 08:16 AM

Missing a smiley face? Yes, if Lance said it, it must be true. A whole bunch of malarkey.

MarleyMon
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
...A whole bunch of malarkey.

No need for smiley, you got it.

FlashUNC
01-18-2013, 08:35 AM
When his own authorized hagiography has examples of Lance being a raging jerk pre-cancer...you know the guy has been a huge tool for a very long time.

Black Dog
01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Sure people change, having cancer will do that, emotionally. There is not established causal mechanism for the treatment itself changing personality. Some people become nicer, some meaner, some do not change at all. Everyone responds differently to stress and trauma of the disease and the treatments. It is a psychological phenomenon.

dekindy
01-18-2013, 08:58 AM
When his own authorized hagiography has examples of Lance being a raging jerk pre-cancer...you know the guy has been a huge tool for a very long time..

Agree 100%.

On the other hand, how many of us know sterling examples of asshat youths that grew up to be mature adults that anyone would be proud to have as a friend.

All I am saying is that in his early 20's and being subjected to external and internal radiation treatments and and their unknown and effects as well as the unknown effects of Cancer itself on the body, maybe he did not have this chance.

R2D2
01-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Agree 100%.

On the other hand, how many of us know sterling examples of asshat youths that grew up to be mature adults that anyone would be proud to have as a friend.

All I am saying is that in his early 20's and being subjected to external and internal radiation treatments and and their unknown and effects as well as the unknown effects of Cancer itself on the body, maybe he did not have this chance.

Maybe the dope he took caused the initial cancer and changed his personality.
Many have stated this is how he initially got cancer.

Tom
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Sa-weet! Now I can do anything I want and blame it on the chemo?

Yeah, baby! No more rules!

Sorry, not buying it. I gotta keep accepting responsibility.

FlashUNC
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM

Agree 100%.

I think we can all change as we age, but the man has a solid decade-plus track record of trying to ruin anyone who gets in his way.

He told Oprah he doesn't even know how many people he's sued over the years. Seriously? Because that's a fact we all obviously lose track of, how many people we're in litigation against.

Chemo or no chemo, the guy is a knob of the highest order.

djg21
01-18-2013, 10:05 AM

The word cancer was used by him only once. I was counting. He danced around it a few times by refering to his situation or condition (e.g., when explaining that he could justify his testosterone use because he was down some). I expect more on cancer tonight when he is asked about LiveStrong.

the bottle ride
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
The OP makes no sense- that logic is so faulted.

goonster
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
The word cancer was used by him only once.
He said "illness" at least a couple of times, or he'd let Oprah say the C word and he'd nod.

I thought that cancer was the subject of discussion quite a bit

It also seemed that he was trying very hard not to say "Livestrong", although he did refer to "my foundation."

ericssonboi
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
He refrained from blaming anyone for his actions, it was accessible as they say; so why not?

slidey
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
It's not as complicated as we'd like to let ourselves believe it is. A dipsh*t is a dipsh*t, cancer treatment doesn't make you one...and, in this connection please show documented scientific evidence of your claims as until this point its all bogus.

Jaq
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Bill Cosby had some words - though about cocaine - that seem apropos.

http://youtu.be/vWzceMfsRbU?t=26s

As an edit, I'd add that it's been suggested that "psychopaths" make up about 4% of CEOs - a rate of occurrence much greater than in the population at large. Without knowing more, I'd say that professional sports has something approaching - perhaps even exceeding - that number. It takes an extraordinary ego to make it into that rarefied stratum. The highly successful people I've known have mostly been assholes in one way or another. Sometimes they're just hard - refuse to be fools, quick to assert themselves, and hugely self-possessed. Other times, they're genuinely egregious dickwads, for whom life is a zero-sum game. Even Jens probably has more temper-tantrums than most of us will ever hear about.

Anyway, an interesting article about it in Forbes a while back: Why Some Psychopaths Make Great CEOs (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/06/14/why-some-psychopaths-make-great-ceos/)

tiretrax
01-18-2013, 01:45 PM
oops, duplicate

tiretrax
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Lance was a well known jerk as a boy and teenager. I think he acknowledged that last night. His antics in the Dallas area and on the racing circuit were well known, even legendary. He was a World champion a-hole for rmany years before he won the road World Championship in Oslo.

His mother was booked many months ago to speak to the parents' group at my childrens' school on Tuesday morning. I bet attendance will be higher now.

His supersized ego is really no different than any successful CEO, movie star, etc. History is overflowing with examples of how these people crash from their pedestal. His admitted ruthlessness is what makes his mea culpa seem insincere (and inadequate).

jeffreyt
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm no expert on Lance or anyone else for that matter. I have had cancer and two rounds of radiation treatments. The only personality trait that I think changed in me is that I don't worry about the "small stuff" anymore. A lot of things that used to upset me, just don't matter anymore. Did I change in any other ways? I don't know. My wife would have to answer that.

As for Lance... I've interacted with him on several occasions. My company was a major sponsor of his. Being a cyclist, cancer survivor, and research scientist, the company always brought me out of the lab whenever Lance was around for meet & greets. I've ridden with Lance, filmed a few commercials with him, interacted with him one-on-one, and rode the Tour of Hope. All I have ever told my cycling friends was that he's a major ass and not someone that I would care to be friends with. I used to chalk it up to him being famous and everyone wanting a piece of him (time, autographs, etc.). Honestly, I enjoyed hanging out with his entourage more then I did with Lance.

biker72
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Lance was a well known jerk as a boy and teenager. I think he acknowledged that last night. His antics in the Dallas area and on the racing circuit were well known, even legendary. He was a World champion a-hole for rmany years before he won the road World Championship in Oslo.

This is unfortunately true....:(

tiretrax
01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
This is unfortunately true....:(

And tha report is from Ground Zero! Were you a witness to his antics? It's ok to take the 5th.

biker72
01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
And tha report is from Ground Zero! Were you a witness to his antics? It's ok to take the 5th.

I never actually witnessed the temper tantrums but have talked with many people that have. He's actually mellowed from his teenager days.

I did unknowingly ride with him in a undeveloped business park not far from where he lived. The "Fast Kid From Plano" was very fast even then.

ericssonboi
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM

His mother was booked many months ago to speak to the parents' group at my childrens' school on Tuesday morning. I bet attendance will be higher now.

His supersized ego is really no different than any successful CEO, movie star, etc. History is overflowing with examples of how these people crash from their pedestal. His admitted ruthlessness is what makes his mea culpa seem insincere (and inadequate).

Its true.. think Steve Jobs is a gentlemen?

tiretrax
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Bernie Ebbers, Ken Lay, Joe Nacchio, Martha Stewart, and Dennis Kozlowski. I could go on. The list of non-felons is a long one: Jack Welch, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, Phil Knight, and so on.

srpetey
01-18-2013, 04:33 PM

I second this

J.Greene
01-18-2013, 05:09 PM

And you take his word? I've been around racing long enough to remember him as arrogant, brash and a bully.