PDA

View Full Version : Sale tax?

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Want to purchase a macbook air when in NY to take back to sweden. Can one get away without paying the tax somehow? I remember seeing that sometimes its no tax if goods are shipped to another state or similar?

Or maybe i just have to pay up? :-/

Thanks
B

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Pop up to New Hampshire for the weekend, no sales tax. You could have it ordered and sent online, but I think Apple collects tax from most states, and Amazon collects it when shipping to NY. Maybe you know someone in CT or NJ who you could have it shipped to.

Nooch
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
If there is a company store in the state you're ordering for delivery to, then you will be taxed. So if there is an apple store in CT (which there are plenty), then you'd get taxed shipping it there.

There's no way to avoid sales tax when purchasing something in person. It's only if you order something mail-order, when there isn't a location in the state you're delivering to. So I order something from Competitive Cyclist, there's no tax because there's no Competitive Cyclist in New Jersey.

ultraman6970
01-17-2013, 01:06 PM
Always you can fill up the custom forms to get the taxes back at the airport.

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Pop up to New Hampshire for the weekend, no sales tax. You could have it ordered and sent online, but I think Apple collects tax from most states, and Amazon collects it when shipping to NY. Maybe you know someone in CT or NJ who you could have it shipped to.

Could i call an apple store in New hampshire and have them send it to NY and that way not pay the tax? If so wouldent everyone do that?

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Oh yeah, does that work for foreigners leaving? I've done it leaving other countries coming home to the US. That makes sense.

Could i call an apple store in New hampshire and have them send it to NY and that way not pay the tax? If so wouldent everyone do that?

Other way around, in theory you pay taxes in the receiving state, right? So if Apple sent it to New Hampshire (or Florida or Nevada, right?) they would not charge you tax, because there is no tax in that state. In theory, cross state shipments like Amazon to MA do owe tax, right? It is just that no one is collecting it. I figure that will eventually change.

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
If there is a company store in the state you're ordering for delivery to, then you will be taxed. So if there is an apple store in CT (which there are plenty), then you'd get taxed shipping it there.

There's no way to avoid sales tax when purchasing something in person. It's only if you order something mail-order, when there isn't a location in the state you're delivering to. So I order something from Competitive Cyclist, there's no tax because there's no Competitive Cyclist in New Jersey.

Aha so i can only purchase it in person in New Hampshire then..

Thanks..

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM

How does this work. Is there like a special tax desk where i can show reciept and then get the tax amount put back on my card?

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
How does this work. Is there like a special tax desk where i can show reciept and then get the tax amount put back on my card?

Based on a tiny bit of research, the US does not do this. Besides travelling to NH or DE, it seems your only choice is if you order it to your hotel from a store outside of NY (or to a friends house) you won't get charged tax, but fast shipping to ensure it arrives during your travel window (especially as it could be delayed as your credit card address will not match shipping) will eat up much of the savings. Having a friend in NYC mail order it is likely your best choice.

echelon_john
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
order from B&H photo and have them ship it to someone (forum member?) in NJ; take the train out and grab it.

their prices are excellent, and they discount applecare, which apple doesn't.

goonster
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that U.S. state sales taxes are not refundable to foreign travelers. There is no U.S. equivalent to the VAT refund counters at European airports.

One possibility might be to purchase the computer not from Apple directly, but from some other retailer, who does not have a physical presence in New York. Of course, it is possible that authorized resellers are prevented in their contracts from shipping out of state, and by buying from a third party in another state you are incurring risk that may not be worth the savings.

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Based on a tiny bit of research, the US does not do this. Besides travelling to NH or DE, it seems your only choice is if you order it to your hotel from a store outside of NY (or to a friends house) you won't get charged tax, but fast shipping to ensure it arrives during your travel window (especially as it could be delayed as your credit card address will not match shipping) will eat up much of the savings. Having a friend in NYC mail order it is likely your best choice.

Hmm my brother live in NY. So if i mailorder from out of state to a private residence there wont be any tax?

Then why wouldent all NYers do that? Or perhaps they are? Seem weird.
If i could order stuff from a city nearby to my door and save a 120 bux id do that everytime..

Nooch
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
order from B&H photo and have them ship it to someone (forum member?) in NJ; take the train out and grab it.

their prices are excellent, and they discount applecare, which apple doesn't.

I'd be glad to assist with this, if you want. feel free to PM me, I'm about 12 miles from the GWB.

(and again, this works because there is no B&H in New Jersey. BUT if you ordered it from Apple, since there are Apple stores in NJ, it would not work.)

I have a jewler in the city... I go to him, figure out what I want, 'order it' and have it shipped to me in NJ, voila, no sales tax.

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Hmm my brother live in NY. So if i mailorder from out of state to a private residence there wont be any tax?

If i could order stuff from a city nearby to my door and save a 120 bux id do that everytime..

Yeah, any smaller on-line merchant outside on NYC should be fine. NY is a bit weird as there have been several laws passed to regain lost taxes.

http://www.ilsr.org/rule/internet-sales-tax-fairness/2237-2/

But I think only the big boys (Amazon, buy.com, etc.) have to follow these regulations. On the other hand, many of the more competitive and reputable internet companies (J&R, B&H, etc.) are in NY, so I'm not sure how good your choices will be on pricing and warranty. Have your brother do a google shopping search for the model you want. Tax and shipping will be included in his results.

I'd be glad to assist with this, if you want. feel free to PM me, I'm about 12 miles from the GWB.

(and again, this works because there is no B&H in New Jersey. BUT if you ordered it from Apple, since there are Apple stores in NJ, it would not work.)

I have a jewler in the city... I go to him, figure out what I want, 'order it' and have it shipped to me in NJ, voila, no sales tax.

There you go, J&R has the Apple MacBook Air - Core i5 1.7 GHz - 64 GB SSD - 11.6″ 1366 x 768 - 4 GB RAM for $30 less than the Apple store does, no tax or shipping. All in you'll have more than $100. Enough to buy Nooch something pretty from his jeweler.

Mike748
01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
There is on-going debate on how to tax internet purchases. Local stores say they are at a disadvantage compared with mail/internet order.

Some states like NC tell you to declare the sales tax when you pay your state income taxes. I'm sure no one complies!

I mail/internet order a lot of things. In some cases shipping cost just offsets the tax. But I save a lot of gas not having to hunt around for what I'm looking for.

I ordered my ipads direct from the Apple store. They charged me tax but I got free two day shipping from China and didn't have to stand in line.

Trade-offs all.

staggerwing
01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Call some place that does this on a more regular basis and ask what the best process.

My first thought would be B+H Photo Video. Quite reputable.

Check out their FAQ page on international orders here. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/int-shippingRulesPolicies.jsp)

Under the "Customs and VAT" section, note the following:

B&H only collects New York sales tax for purchases made in our New York Superstore or for orders shipped to an address within New York State. Sales tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

FWIW, you really, really don't want to pay NY (state + city tax).

What is the likelihood that when you step off of the airplane back in Sweden you are going to be hit with VAT once they see you have a shiny new notebook? Or, are you going to open it while on vacation, toss the packaging, add some stickers, put it in a roughed up carrier, and act like you've had it all along? Not that I'm suggesting anything. If the former, you might as well have B+H ship it through "official" channels, as they suggest on the above page.

Also, hopefully you won't need it, but is there an official Apple Sweden stance on a direct import, as to how they might treat you, from a warranty standpoint. I know some of the photo companies--thinking of you Nikon--have made an issue of such things in the past.

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Call some place that does this on a more regular basis and ask what the best process.

My first thought would be B+H Photo Video. Quite reputable.

Check out their FAQ page on international orders here. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/int-shippingRulesPolicies.jsp)

Under the "Customs and VAT" section, note the following:

B&H only collects New York sales tax for purchases made in our New York Superstore or for orders shipped to an address within New York State. Sales tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

FWIW, you really, really don't want to pay NY (state + city tax).
What is the likelihood that when you step off of the airplane back in Sweden you are going to be hit with VAT once they see you have a shiny new notebook? Or, are you going to open it while on vacation, toss the packaging, add some stickers, put it in a roughed up carrier, and act like you've had it all along? Not that I'm suggesting anything. If the former, you might as well have B+H ship it through "official" channels, as they suggest on the above page.

Also, hopefully you won't need it, but is there an official Apple Sweden stance on a direct import, as to how they might treat you, from a warranty standpoint. I know some of the photo companies--thinking of you Nikon--have made an issue of such things in the past.

I talked to B+H chat. They said there would be tax since they have a New York store. So it wouldent be shipping from out of state.
Dunno about warrenty will have to check on that.. Im assuming apple will take care warrenty issues worldwide, but assuming such may be a misstake..

Customs.. .) Depending on ones morale one would show it to them and pay 33% on top of receipt. 25%vat + 8% tax on electronics i believe. Which kinda mute the whole idea of purchasing it in NY in the first place.

christian
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
I will figure out how to do this for you if you bring me four unopened tubes of Messmör.

(Ok, really, I would just order it from B&H and have it shipped to a colleague in New Jersey, like Nooch is suggesting).

That said, I'm going to need the messmör. Thanks.

christian
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
I talked to B+H chat. They said there would be tax since they have a New York store. So it wouldent be shipping from out of state

No, you will have it shipped to an address in NJ or CT. Not NY.

(Personally, I think you should just pay the tax...)

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
No, you will have it shipped to an address in NJ or CT. Not NY.

(Personally, I think you should just pay the tax...)

Yeah might be the easiest. Still pretty cheap. Im usually not a price nazi unless its bike related :) Just i thought "what a great price" when on applestore.com only to realize there was another 150 usd in tax once i filled in the adress.

Edit: hmm messmör you say :)

goonster
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Digression (but with a Swedish angle):

When IKEA opened its Elizabeth, NJ store in the early 90's, they ran ads in the NYC subways highlighting lower sales tax rates in NJ. New York state sent some representatives to record NY license plates in the parking lot. The owners of those vehicles were then sent a "reminder" that they owed a sales tax rate differential on any furniture bought there.

Story here. (http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/11/nyregion/update-tax-collectors-and-ikea-store-declare-truce-on-advertising.html)

Mark McM
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Yes, you could do that - but not legally. If a NY state resident buys taxable goods or services from an entity that does not collect NY sales tax, then the resident him/herself is responsible for paying the tax to the government. There is a line item on the NY state income tax where a resident must report untaxed goods bought, and the tax owed to the state.

My own state, Massachusetts, has a similar system. You have a choice of either itemizing untaxed out-of-state purchases and the taxes owed, or paying a fixed standard tax for out-of-state purchases.

ultraman6970
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Im not that sure but check if you can get the tax back from your country? You are importing the item...

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Im not that sure but check if you can get the tax back from your country? You are importing the item...

I could get it back probally but then they would want the 33% import duties+vat on the same item. I get 150 back but would need to give em 400ish in return :/
Sweden have very unsatisfactory import system. For the importer that is..

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Oh...nevermind.

oliver1850
01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
IL is the same: sales tax for anything purchased or delivered in state or from out of state sellers with stores in IL (Performance, Nashbar); "use tax" for anything purchased out of state - payed annually with state income tax.

yngpunk
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
I've used MacMall successfully to order a Mac laptop. Free shipping and no sales tax if shipped outside of California or Illinois, where they have retail locations. They will price match as well.

Since they're an authorized Mac dealer, full warranty on their products.

FootWorksCycles
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
as stated just above, order it through MacMall. No sales tax at all. www.macmall.com

akelman
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Oh...nevermind.

I saw that, scofflaw.

goonster
01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Yes, you could do that - but not legally. If a NY state resident buys taxable goods or services from an entity that does not collect NY sales tax, then the resident him/herself is responsible for paying the tax to the government.
Tuscanyswe is not a NY resident, and is not obligated to file a NY state tax return. If he buys the Mac with his credit card, these statutes don't apply.

(edit: not disagreeing with you. I see you were addressing the "why wouldn't everyone do that" question)

tuscanyswe
01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the macmall link. Seems to have good prices too!

Your state tax system seem abit strange to me from the outside. But i think i understood abit more atleast!

Cheers paceline!

Ken Robb
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Regarding import taxes due when you go back to Sweden: When USA residents leave the USA on a trip it is a good idea to register with Customs any expensive foreign-made items they take with them so they are at risk of being charged import taxes upon their return to the USA. If a resident left with a new gold Rolex that he bought in the USA it would be very sad if he had to pay duty on its value when he returned.

You may face a similar dilemma bringing a new "used" computer into Sweden.

beeatnik
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Yes, you could do that - but not legally. If a NY state resident buys taxable goods or services from an entity that does not collect NY sales tax, then the resident him/herself is responsible for paying the tax to the government. There is a line item on the NY state income tax where a resident must report untaxed goods bought, and the tax owed to the state.

My own state, Massachusetts, has a similar system. You have a choice of either itemizing untaxed out-of-state purchases and the taxes owed, or paying a fixed standard tax for out-of-state purchases.

In CA, you're responsible for state and local sales taxes. State is static, but local varies. So if you live in a city which charges 8.5% (state and local) but purchase a vehicle in a city with a 10% rate(state and local), you're only responsible for your local rate, 8.5%. When a buddy bought a new car a few years back, he saved $500.