PDA

View Full Version : What Continental US Means

fourflys
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
I've noticed in the classifieds I'm not sure many know what this term means... typically continental US means the "lower 48"... it usually costs a bit more to ship to Alaska or Hawaii... if you ship in a flat rate box it doesn't matter if lower 48 or not... I'm not sure how Guam or Puerto Rico fits in here...

Just a thought after looking at some classifieds...

Chris

esldude
01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
I think most people know this. Sometimes you see lower 48 instead of CONUSA.

Of course the reason is larger items which may not be flat rate via USPS or in my case, I have had bad luck on larger items via USPS (just short of 50% rate of damage), will be shipping via Fedex or UPS. Those shipping services charge quite a bit more for shipping to the 49th and 50th states. Not to mention the hassles of shipping outside the country.

I have purchased items from Europe in the classifieds here. I don't know how they are doing the shipment without it being either a huge hassle and/or expense. I don't have a reasonably priced manner of shipping the reverse direction unless someone knows some tricks I am unaware of.

Jaq
01-16-2013, 11:16 PM
I only ship within the conterminous United States, but I'm special that way.

fourflys
01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much given up buying anything that won't fit in a flat rate box for the next 3 yrs...

I figure most people know it just seems there are a few ads that talk like they won't ship to other than conus... Almost as if they think it's international... The only real issue shipping up here besides cost is if it's a hazmat item...

Peter B
01-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much given up buying anything that won't fit in a flat rate box for the next 3 yrs...

I figure most people know it just seems there are a few ads that talk like they won't ship to other than conus... Almost as if they think it's international... The only real issue shipping up here besides cost is if it's a hazmat item...

It's cause we're all 'outsiders'. :)

I usually specify CONUS if I'm quoting/including shipping in the sale. If a buyer wants to cover any added cost/delays/duties I'll gladly extend my boundaries.

Pete Mckeon
01-17-2013, 08:57 AM
For FEDEX or UPS. For mail USPS it is the 50 states. Some military addresses are still same $$ is USPS for the non 50 states.

Continental is the North Continental mass. (48 states)

I've noticed in the classifieds I'm not sure many know what this term means... typically continental US means the "lower 48"... it usually costs a bit more to ship to Alaska or Hawaii... if you ship in a flat rate box it doesn't matter if lower 48 or not... I'm not sure how Guam or Puerto Rico fits in here...

Just a thought after looking at some classifieds...

Chris

MattTuck
01-17-2013, 09:10 AM
CONUS = CONtiguous?

So, does the base stock campy parts? ;)

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
IMO, CONUS means continental United States, e.g. lower 48. I only say CONUS in my classified postings because the only trouble I've ever had with shipping something was always outside of the 48 "connected" states. Case in point, I recently picked up something being shipped from Hawaii, 16 days later, hasn't arrived and the tracking has it still in HI.

jpw
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
I'll never understand why Canada didn't outbid the US for Alaska.

esldude
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Maybe because Canada only gained its independence the same year the US purchased Alaska in 1867.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/to-solve-our-debt-problems-lets-sell-alaska/2012/12/14/1c63c1d6-4352-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_story_1.html

Of course it has been suggested we could sell Alaska to fix the debt. So maybe Canada will have another shot at it.

Pars
01-17-2013, 04:01 PM
IMO, CONUS means continental United States, e.g. lower 48. I only say CONUS in my classified postings because the only trouble I've ever had with shipping something was always outside of the 48 "connected" states. Case in point, I recently picked up something being shipped from Hawaii, 16 days later, hasn't arrived and the tracking has it still in HI.
Of course, Alaska is technically on the same continent :)

fourflys
01-17-2013, 09:05 PM

Trust me, I wish they would have... I wouldn't be up here right now... And noe, the exchange on base doesn't stock Campy or SRAM... ;)

Louis
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM

How much frozen wasteland do you need? Other than gold, (the big gold rush was after the purchase from Russia) they didn't care much about subterranean resources back then.

jpw
01-18-2013, 05:35 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alaska_area_compared_to_conterminous_US.svg

when the ice melts away the investment will make a return. It's a big place.