PDA

View Full Version : OT: this kid* rocks (creationists need not apply)

Honey
01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Not sure if this has made the rounds here or for any of you, but he is pretty awesome and impressive- to me, though if you believe creationism should be taught in schools you may disagree. The second video in the article pits Lawyer against him and a Nobel Laureate with letters from many others and it's well, impressive.

http://io9.com/5976112/how-19+year+old-activist-zack-kopplin-is-making-life-hell-for-louisianas-creationists

This is less about discussion, that will likely turn nasty on variety of issues, and more about someone who can't legally drink in our country working his butt off to affect change he sees as positive and getting it done, kudos.

Vientomas
01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Let me tell you from personal experience, just because someone is a lawyer, it does not mean they are smart, or capable in a debate.

Marz
01-16-2013, 08:06 PM
There is more evidence for Santa than creationism.

What a joke.

USA, the best and the worst.

Some of the best minds in the world and some of the most stupid, a country of contradictions.

All power to him.

93legendti
01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, he is a genius. A genius who has never heard about Jews.:rolleyes:

"But it also violates the separation of church and state," he says. "Teaching Biblical creationism is promoting one very specific fundamentalist version of Christianity, and violating the rights of every other American citizen who doesn't subscribe to those beliefs. So it would be stomping on the rights of Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Buddhists, Humanists, Muslims, Hindus, and every other religious group in the country."

And a math/economic genius to boot. Perhaps he'd like to mint a trillion dollar coin for his venture:

"To that end, Kopplin would like to see $1 trillion of new science funding and an end to denialist science legislation. He wants to see the American public become more aware and better educated about science."

And so accepting of different view points. We should have more just like him.:rolleyes:

slidey
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Its hurtful to note the despair in the article when Kopplin realised that no one was taking on the LSEA.

21st Century 'murca! :cool:

Great article though, I wonder why it hasn't gotten more mainstream coverage...or maybe it has...I just don't follow any US-based news agency's reporting.

bobswire
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Yes, he is a genius. A genius who has never heard about Jews.:rolleyes:

"But it also violates the separation of church and state," he says. "Teaching Biblical creationism is promoting one very specific fundamentalist version of Christianity, and violating the rights of every other American citizen who doesn't subscribe to those beliefs. So it would be stomping on the rights of Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Buddhists, Humanists, Muslims, Hindus, and every other religious group in the country."

And a math/economic genius to boot. Perhaps he'd like to mint a trillion dollar coin for his venture:

"To that end, Kopplin would like to see $1 trillion of new science funding and an end to denialist science legislation. He wants to see the American public become more aware and better educated about science."

And so accepting of different view points. We should have more just like him.:rolleyes:

That trillion dollars would be a bargain for what it would buy besides sure beats bombing people back into the stone age.

Full statement:
"We don't just deny evolution," he says, "We are denying climate change and vaccines and other mainstream science. I'm calling for a Second Giant Leap to change the perception of science in the world."

akelman
01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
The DoD budget was, what? Nearly $700 billion last year? The NSF budget was approximately one percent of that, I think.

akelman
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Having said that, there's also NIH, which Wikipedia tells me has a budget of approximately $30b. Then there's all of the federal and state funding for higher education, not to mention private/industry money for STEM research. In the end, it's pretty hard to figure out how much the nation spends each year on science.

Honey
01-16-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree with both of you there's a lot of money in science & the dod which as my employer I'll refrain from comment on but I think the funding he is seeking is for public k-12 science education which in LA is not very large

BumbleBeeDave
01-16-2013, 08:57 PM
. . . this thread is going to be locked in about 5 more seconds.

BBD

Marz
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
"And so accepting of different view points. We should have more just like him."

So, 93lengendti, creationism is a legitimate viewpoint?

BumbleBeeDave
01-16-2013, 09:08 PM
. . . we're done.

You had 4:55 extra just because I had to wash a few dishes . . .

BBD