PDA

View Full Version : hampsten

AgilisMerlin
01-16-2013, 06:41 PM
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5469/andyg.jpg

Dave B
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
There is an American cyclist to be hella proud of!

gone
01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Love that picture!

gaucho753
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/gaucho510/Gaucho%20Bicycle%20Racing%20Photos/Hampsten_LaVieClaire.jpg

Pete Mckeon
01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
about 5 years ago when Ben Serotta was hosting an event.. Andy is a VERY nice gentleman and the Italians really like him also.

On a Monday night he called and asked a restaurant to take us in for dinner. They did because of the respect they have for him.

His brother is Steve and also a nice fellow who use to host events in CA around SOLVANG,

They are both wonderful folks and today run a frame building business "HAMPSTEN" in USA. Look at their web site for the beautiful work of ARTs they make/sell

majorpat
01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Oddly enough, this was delivered by TR in Paris.

There is an American cyclist to be hella proud of!

Pete Mckeon
01-16-2013, 07:53 PM
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Oddly enough, this was delivered by TR in Paris.

:banana::banana:THanks to the forgotten and the present.:)

jmeloy
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Working with Steve on this could not have been more fun. Just good people!

MattTuck
01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Awesome bike :) What's that little band around the top tube?

Love the paint scheme.

Kirk007
01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
If you want a real treat sign up for one of these and ride with Andy in Italy:

http://www.cinghiale.com/

One of those trips of a lifetime is not overstating....

tiretrax
01-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Of all the famous people I have met, Andy is the most humble and approachable. For a legendary grand tour champion, he is not pretentious or conceited. I had a nice visit with Steve, Andy, and Andy's beautiful wife at NAHBS a few years ago.

rePhil
01-17-2013, 05:07 AM
One of my all time favorite cycling photo's is Andy getting ready for the Giro Time Trial. A confident looking Andy straddling the top tube, hands on his hips, Heart rate strap visible through the maglia rosa.
I'd post the pic but they belong to Graham Watson.

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Read an interveiw with Hampsten, recently, not a derogatory comment spoken. What a cool cat. And he rocked those "O's" better than anyone.

dumbod
01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
My wife and I are doing a Cinghiale tour in September so I've been corresponding with him via email. It's obviously a small sample size and he presumably wants our money but my impression is that he's one of the really good guys.

john903
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
That is a great photo and I must compliment you on all the great photos you post. Iam curious though, what jersey is he wearing it looks like it is from the Giro but before he is in the pink? I was just wandering why it is blue is it like a climbers jersey or points leader jersey?
Thanks and have a great day.

MattTuck
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
My wife and I are doing a Cinghiale tour in September so I've been corresponding with him via email. It's obviously a small sample size and he presumably wants our money but my impression is that he's one of the really good guys.

Are you doing the cooking and cycling one? I was looking at that, but too rich for me this year. It'll be the trip of a life time, I hope to see some pics!

Pete Mckeon
01-17-2013, 11:52 AM
bar slap into top tube that leaves an mark on TT.

Love the paint scheme.

bfd
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5469/andyg.jpg

Ok, here's a question, what gloves was he using? Its been cold lately and I need new gloves. If Andy can ride in the snow with those gloves, I'm interested! Good Luck!

AgilisMerlin
01-17-2013, 07:00 PM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8027/gav2.jpg

AgilisMerlin
01-17-2013, 07:00 PM
zen

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8027/gav2.jpg

jmeloy
01-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Haha it is the 2012 registration band from Ragbrai that I hadn't taken off yet!

Love the paint scheme.

choke
01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
That is a great photo and I must compliment you on all the great photos you post. Iam curious though, what jersey is he wearing it looks like it is from the Giro but before he is in the pink? I was just wandering why it is blue is it like a climbers jersey or points leader jersey?
Thanks and have a great day.The blue jersey is the Giro climber's jersey.

dumbod
01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Are you doing the cooking and cycling one? I was looking at that, but too rich for me this year. It'll be the trip of a life time, I hope to see some pics!

Cooking and cycling is the one. All of his other rides are too "strenuous" for my wife. You're right, it ain't cheap but I'll be celebrating my 21st birthday for the 40th time and we have to prove that we're not the old farts that the calendar (and my nieces) suggest we might be.:)

It's not for nine months but I'll try to post some photos then.

hampco
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
and he's still happy to be getting paid to ride his bike...

majorpat
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I thought the green jersey was the climbers jersey in the Giro

Hindmost
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
So, is the original photo the '88 Gavia day and he has thrown away his hat on the way into Bormeo?

choke
01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I thought the green jersey was the climbers jersey in the GiroIt's blue now, but it was green until a couple of years ago and certainly would have been when Andy was racing....I sure wasn't thinking. I found this on wiki: There was also a combination classification that was introduced in the 1985 Giro d'Italia and was first won by Urs Freuler. The classification was discontinued after the 1988 Giro d'Italia. For the 1988 edition of the Giro, the classification awarded a blue jersey.

Louis
01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Sticker that came with some Cinelli bar tape.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=77874&stc=1&d=1295812704

54ny77
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
geez, he looks like he's gained approx 14 ounces since he won the giro back in the day.

impressive!

and he's still happy to be getting paid to ride his bike...

djg21
01-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Love the paint scheme.

Number holder.

prometheus20
01-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Nice to hear so many positive comments about Andy- especially good to know he is a classy gentleman. Makes me want to look up his touring company. I was lucky enough to do a tour in Italy in 2000. Such a beautiful country and so bike friendly. Meeting Andy and riding in Italy would be an unbeatable combination.

Now that America has only one official TDF winner Lemond's name keeps coming up as the most decorated American cyclist- and rightfully so. But it always bothers me that Andy rarely gets mentioned, and no one outside of the avid cycling community has even heard of him. His ride on the Gavia that day is legendary and is one of the few that deserves that dreadfully overused adjective that now makes me cringe "e--c." And yet he's woefully overlooked. Truly one of the most inspiring bike riders on the planet.