PDA

View Full Version : campy top pull fd

PaMtbRider
01-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I am looking at a cyclocross frame that is designed for a top pull front derailleur. I am not aware of a campy top pull design. Will campy levers play nice with say an Ultegra front derailleur or is there a better option? Bike will also be set up with avid bb7 discs which I assume should be no issue with campy levers.

zetroc
01-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Campy used to make a top pull FD, but no longer. I've only ever seen one in person, and it's on my brother's bike. Good luck.

christian
01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Shimano CX70. Problem solved.

BTW, does the frame not have a pulley? My Campy levers are shifting a Tiagra FD via a pulley.

ultraman6970
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Remember a guy that did a conversion, with luck you will find the pictures and how he did it.

The good news is that campagnolo will shift whatever you put in the FD, I would go with one of those new sram ones that kind'a twist and let us know how it works hehe

astaft
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Problem solvers has a rather un-elegant solution if you need to use a campy derailleur

http://problemsolversbike.com/images/sized/files/prod_usage_img/fs0915_crossclamp-305x204.jpg

PaMtbRider
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM
The frame is an Ibis Hakkalugi Disc. It doesn't have a pulley and because of the seat tube size / shape I don't think the bolt on adapter would work. I am not against using a cx70 front derailleur and would consider a complete bike from Ibis which comes with a shimano build kit. Just exploring options of buying the frameset and building it with campy instead.

christian
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
I strongly prefer Campagnolo, so I would do that - buy the frame, build with Campagnolo and use a CX70 fd.

zennmotion
01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I use an old XT top pull with centaur 10 levers- works fine, although the lever throw is a little more than my other crosser that uses a pulley with a mirage FD. Princess and the Pea problem IMO. By the way, I like the mirage for cross- not pretty, but stiff cage for tough conditions- steel is real with CX FDs

christian
01-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I use a Tiagra FD and Mirage RD for cross. The Mirage RD shifts great, and is cheeeap if you fall over on it. It does weigh 2x the Record part, though.

binouye
01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
I have Centaur 10 spd Ergos pulling an old top-pull XTR front der on my 29er, and it works fine. On a previous build I had the Centaur Ergos shifting an old XT (bottom pull) front der, and that worked too.