PDA

View Full Version : velocity hubs...

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
i'm building a set of wheels for this coming season, and chose Velocity road hubs for a number of reasons. very affordable, silver and come in campy.

i have to say, upon initial inspection, the finish and quality appears to be excellent. i cant speak to the durability, because i havent ridden them yet, but they look great for the price! anyone looking for an affordable silver campy hubset should consider these IMO.

http://www.velocityusa.com/downloads/hubs/Road%20Hubs/road-silver-rear-campy-500.jpg

Nooch
01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
I know E_J builds on these quite a bit, and built my major toms off a pair. While I don't have a ton of miles on that wheelset, as it's saved for race day only (and who am I kidding, how often do I race cx?), the few times I have ridden em they've been very nice.

tele
01-15-2013, 06:56 AM
I'ne got 2 pairs of Velocity hubs from John as well and have probably 5k on both sets and they have taken some decent abuse in all weather/road conditions and no problems yet.

Fishbike
01-15-2013, 07:07 AM
I have a couple of sets and they are a great choice for all the above reasons -- very good price, come in black and silver, come in Campy and Sramano, and most importantly roll well. While not silent, they are not particularly noisy. You can have your favorite wheelbuilder build with them or you can now order custom wheelsets in all kinds of pretty colors direct from Velocity (although the website is confusing).

ergott
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
I noticed that they will bind up a bit when clamped down. I has to back off the endcaps of the front hub just a tiny bit and put some thread locking compound on there to keep that adjustment. This makes the hub roll much smoother when in the bike. Bearing size is acceptable. I would consider them for a budget build for lower spoke counts and Campagnolo, but for 32 spoke Shimano wheels, 105 is a better buy.

bikerboy337
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Had a set of A23's built up with velocity hubs for a training wheelset (28/32) and they've been great so far... no major miles (maybe 500), but hubs have been nice... roll well and its been a great build...

oldpotatoe
01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
i'm building a set of wheels for this coming season, and chose Velocity road hubs for a number of reasons. very affordable, silver and come in campy.

i have to say, upon initial inspection, the finish and quality appears to be excellent. i cant speak to the durability, because i havent ridden them yet, but they look great for the price! anyone looking for an affordable silver campy hubset should consider these IMO.

http://www.velocityusa.com/downloads/hubs/Road%20Hubs/road-silver-rear-campy-500.jpg

Just watch which 'campagnolo compatible' you buy. The one pictured doesn't like 11s...need a really thin lockring to keep the lockring from hitting the frame. I use this one for Campagnolo-no issues with 11s.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=755

No silver tho-

I agree with Ergott tho-if you are shimano/sram, 5700 hubs are hard to beat.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Just watch which 'campagnolo compatible' you buy. The one pictured doesn't like 11s...need a really thin lockring to keep the lockring from hitting the frame. I use this one for Campagnolo-no issues with 11s.

this could be bad news for me, definitely was planning on using these with 11-sp. hoping for the best, i should have the wheel built tonight, so i can test a cassette on it.

FlashUNC
01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Any reason you went with Velocity over Miche or some of the other budget Campy hubs out there?

oldpotatoe
01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
this could be bad news for me, definitely was planning on using these with 11-sp. hoping for the best, i should have the wheel built tonight, so i can test a cassette on it.

Our first 2 tries with the pictured hub and 11s saw the lockring rub the frame..Had to use a very thin Velocity lockring but still really close. About 2 years ago.let me know what you find. I haven't sold those hubs for a while.

Miche are good silver(albeit with lotsa of decals) hubs also. Only available in pairs to me..but now 32h and the far superior, 36h also.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Any reason you went with Velocity over Miche or some of the other budget Campy hubs out there?

not too many other budget campy hubs really exist, and I have a set of the miche's, the finish quality of the velocity's is definitely nicer, no doubt about that.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
the decals peel right off if the miche's by the way, no problemo...

(front hub pictured...)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xjlY_WBJoqI/UONbzJvPvDI/AAAAAAAABC4/qOOatbX0LeM/s640/IMG_1201.JPG

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
let me know what you find. .

will report back tonight.

FlashUNC
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
not too many other budget campy hubs really exist, and I have a set of the miche's, the finish quality of the velocity's is definitely nicer, no doubt about that.

That's very true. Just wondered if there was something beyond finish that steered you to them other than Miche's or Novatec's.

jemoryl
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I've had a set of Velocity wheels (Aerohead rims, Wheelsmith DB spokes and Velocity hubs) for somthing like 8 years, and the hubs have held up well. From what I can tell, the OEM on mine is Formula.

ultraman6970
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Used both and the miche had worked fine for me and my CX friends in europe for a few years now.

Used a set of spartacus wheels and no good experiences with those at all. The axle was too flimsy to me and im not even racing no more. No idea if now they come with more solid axles. Definitely I would think it if the rider is a heavy sprinter or for a low spoke wheelset for cx for example.

GRAVELBIKE
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8377254045_718799f14f.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/8377254045/)

That's the SL218 that BikeHubStore.com sells. I've seen what appears to be the same hub sold under other names/brands. Mr Potatoe is lacing the one in the above photo to an H+Son Archetype.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Our first 2 tries with the pictured hub and 11s saw the lockring rub the frame..Had to use a very thin Velocity lockring but still really close. About 2 years ago.let me know what you find. I haven't sold those hubs for a while.

reporting back: no problems with an 11-speed cassette and the velocity road hub, plenty of clearance. using a campy lockring btw.

oldpotatoe
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
reporting back: no problems with an 11-speed cassette and the velocity road hub, plenty of clearance. using a campy lockring btw.

Sounds like they fixed it.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 04:59 PM
yes, i would imagine so, definitely plenty of room on there.

they supply a lockring with the hub, but i used the campy one that comes with the cassette. the formula one is splined for the shimano tool, not the campy one. silly velocity.

jemoryl
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
yes, i would imagine so, definitely plenty of room on there.

they supply a lockring with the hub, but i used the campy one that comes with the cassette. the formula one is splined for the shimano tool, not the campy one. silly velocity.

Hmmm, maybe they gave you the wrong lockring? My Velocity/Formula hubs (older) take the Campy tool.