PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you keep a few of your favourite saddles up your sleeve?

Llewellyn
01-15-2013, 02:38 AM
A comment in the same/different saddles for different bikes thread has got me thinking. Do any of you have a few spares of your favourite saddles in the parts box, just in case they stop making them. And how many do keep in reserve?

I have a spare Aliante but the Rolls' seem like they will be made forever.

rePhil
01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
I have 3 Turbos, with 3, plus a Rolls in reserve. Heavy, but comfortable for me.

echelon_john
01-15-2013, 05:48 AM
same saddles, same backstock!

I have 3 Turbos, with 3, plus a Rolls in reserve. Heavy, but comfortable for me.

AngryScientist
01-15-2013, 06:25 AM
i have a whole bunch of saddles in my basement. i can ride a few different styles comfortably, none of which are probably going out of production anytime soon, but hey - i've got them now...

christian
01-15-2013, 07:10 AM
I have:
- A Regal Racing Team on my Zanconato
- A perforated black Regal on my Allez
- A RegalE Carbon FX on my Extreme Power (should be getting installed today...)

In reserve I have:
- A NOS black perforated Regal
- A NOS white perforated Regal
- A NOS Ti-railed white with World Championship stripes Regal

There might be a few more kicking around the basement, but I did a purge a few months ago to get rid of a few.

Yeah, I like the Belgian sofa.

DRZRM
01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I ride Regale on my road bikes, SI Zoncolans on my CX bikes, and WTB Silverados on my MTBs.

I keep at least one of each sitting around as backup and always have an eye out for good deals to expand my stock.

christian
01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Zach - tell me about Zoncolans, please. They look like they have a nice flat rear and good shape generally. What are the primary differences between it and the Regale?

oldpotatoe
01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
A comment in the same/different saddles for different bikes thread has got me thinking. Do any of you have a few spares of your favourite saddles in the parts box, just in case they stop making them. And how many do keep in reserve?

I have a spare Aliante but the Rolls' seem like they will be made forever.

I have 3 extras-Rolls Due.

Yep, a pair of Sidi Genius, black in the box also.

FlashUNC
01-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Yes. Extra saddles and shoes.

67-59
01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Yep. I just discovered that the Prologo Nago Evo is the saddle for me. Have one on my Kirk and one in a box. Will probably buy another one or two within the next few months...just in case.

William
01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
I always try to keep a few spare Flites around.

William

Andrewlcox
01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
I have 2 Serotta embroidered saddles. I don't even remember what model they are or care much for their comfort but they sure look cool.

AgilisMerlin
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes. Extra saddles and shoes.

bingo :banana:

AgilisMerlin
01-15-2013, 08:21 AM

William

bingo bingo :banana:

redir
01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
Most of my bikes have Brookes Swift saddles on them. The only plastic saddle I can ride is an old San Marco Concor Supercorsa. Fortunately they did a remake of that saddle and so I have a spare one.

Mr Cabletwitch
01-15-2013, 09:09 AM

William

Same here, only saddle I've found I like on both road bikes and mountain bikes.

jmoore
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM

William

I think I have 7 Flites of some flavor or another on my various bikes and in boxes. I have been trying to move to a Prologo Scratch. It's OK, but not as good as my Flite.

LouDeeter
01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I have a combined 10 regals and rolls, mostly regals, in various color combinations. These are the older version in either the brass rails or the alloy rails. I have either Rolls or Regals on all of my bikes except one.

Sheldon4209
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
A friend of mine likes the Avocet O2 that was made in the 90s. He found 9 new old stock on ebay from a shop in England. He bought all 9 and figures he will never have to buy another saddle.

GRAVELBIKE
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
I currently have N+1 Selle An-Atomica saddles in my possession (and one of the new TruLeather models on the way).

DRZRM
01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
You know, I think they are similar in terms of feel when you are pretty stable in the saddle (wide and flat in the back). I have used Zoncolans on both road and CX for a while, and I went back and forth as to whether I like the Regale or Zoncolan better. I think it comes down to liking the shape of the Zoncolan when I am moving around more, as I am more prone to do on the CX bike. It is 135mm at the rear, as opposed to 148mm on the Regale, so I can slide off the back of it on descents, and the narrow padded nose (it is shaped more like a lollypop than a triangle) is comfortable on steep off-rode climbs. The comfort of the Regale is awesome, but I feel like it has fewer options to really slide around on it, so I would never take it on trails.

I'm not so great at describing what I like about a saddle, I hope that helps.

Zach

Zach - tell me about Zoncolans, please. They look like they have a nice flat rear and good shape generally. What are the primary differences between it and the Regale?

cash05458
01-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Only one...for my beloved MXL...on it I have a turbo, light blue which fits color of frame perfect...embroidered fancy with the Merckx logo ect...geek factor of course...picked it up for 99 bucks NOS from a shop in Holland and the guy had a second so I got that as well for a backup...given how long my last turbo lasted think I am good til I die I figure...

bambam
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't keep backups of the Brooks or Berthound.

I figure they will last but some plastic saddles most seem to go out of production after a few years.

I got a back up Specialized road pro body geometry(black leather,red cloth edges,thin top, red leather recessed V cut down the middle). I found my first one on 2003. I wish I could find some more because I used my back up on another bike. My first one has electrical tape wraped around the nose because the leather was rolling up. I check ebay every once in a while.

If anybody has unused ones lying around let me know.

If there is a chance you wont be able to find it in a few years I'd buy some reserves.

jtakeda
01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I have backups but they're usually take offs from other bikes.

I just pick up flites if I find a good deal.

I have a back up brooks but only one.

veloduffer
01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
for years I've stocked Vetta SP saddles (probably over 20 yrs) and have switched saddles to Selle Italia SL XC Flow, for which I have 5 or 6 backups (half in black, half in white). Saves me from a lot of pain of finding new saddles; they only reason I had switched is the Selle Italia came with a new bike and I liked it.

eBAUMANN
01-15-2013, 12:55 PM

William

same, the "1990" re-issues are not as comfy and the rails are shaped differently. i hoard 90's Ti flites like its my job.

sc53
01-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Yes, I have about 4 spare Terry Butterfly's of various eras, then my favorite saddle changed and I am stuck with the Terry's in my bike closet. Oh well, my favorite could change again I guess.

rjfr
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Love to find the one. Until then, I keep the best so far.

The Williams Aurora SLC wide looks like it might be the one. If so, I'll buy a couple.

ctcyclistbob
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
I have a few Brooks B17s I keep in reserve, including a couple with Ti rails. One of the spares came in handy last year after I broke a tension shackle on my current saddle, and had to order a replacement part and repair it.

I've gradually stocked up for the future as the spare saddles came along at good prices.

rugbysecondrow
01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I have two brooks b-17, but I am more concerned about bars so I have some 48 Nitto Noodles stockpiled in case they stop making them.

zmudshark
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Regal Girardi
Sidi Genius
Centaur Ultrashift 10s Ergos

A stash of them all.

kc1431
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
No, I always think of it after something I love is out of production and can not be found anywhere

krhea
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Do any of you have a few spares of your favourite saddles in the parts box, just in case they stop making them. And how many do keep in reserve?

Yes...just a couple extras...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/KRhea/IMG_1271_zps8e301221.jpg

Llewellyn
01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Wow, I thought I was the only one who stashed gear!! It's pleasing to know that I'm not alone.

Respect guys :)

Llewellyn
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm going to show my wife this the next time she asks "haven't you got enough cycling bits and pieces" :banana:

Bob Ross
01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Do any of you have a few spares of your favourite saddles in the parts box, just in case they stop making them.

No (though perhaps I should?), but I do have a few spares of my favourite cyclometer in the parts box, just in case they stop making them.

SPOKE
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
My favorite saddle, Selle Itaila Storika (with the rivets) is pretty difficult to find these days. I had a stash of 6 about 3 years ago.....down to zero now..:(
If anyone knows where a stash of these may be please let me know!!!

tuscanyswe
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Haha love it. Thats crazy! :)

thirdgenbird
01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
The original titanium railed slr.

I've got a bright red one that won't match any of my bikes. Despite several offers, I just can't bring myself to letting it go. I think I may look into getting it recovered in either white or black.

sevencyclist
01-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't think my wife will allow me to get away with keeping a stock of couple of bike frames in case "name your builder" stopped building bikes!

kohlboto
01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm trying to hoard as many Antique Brown Fizik Aliantes as I can find...
so far my collection is 1.

patstar
01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
I hoard Selle Italia Flites

hockeybike
01-15-2013, 08:18 PM
The original titanium railed slr.

I've got a bright red one that won't match any of my bikes. Despite several offers, I just can't bring myself to letting it go. I think I may look into getting it recovered in either white or black.

You have it all wrong--you need to get a new bike. Something white or black, if you want to stay conservative, or cyan. Just don't go green. Clearly, you have a saddle in need of a new bike.

thirdgenbird
01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
You have it all wrong--you need to get a new bike. Something white or black, if you want to stay conservative, or cyan. Just don't go green. Clearly, you have a saddle in need of a new bike.

Raw aluminum track bike?

bambam
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Great idea. With all those different colors you HAVE to look for bikes they will look good on.

I'm also guessing you have an awesome collection of jerseys to match?

GRAVELBIKE
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
And for extra credit, how many folks hoard certain brands/models of shorts/bibs?

yummygooey
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
I hoarded Ariones at one point but I'm trying out Specialized Romins right now.

dogdriver
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Old, beat Flites continue to be my favorite. I'm always looking for them at gear swaps. Have a couple Gobis around. The one on my mtb is getting broken down and is rapidly becoming my favorite saddle. Might have to run over the others a few times with the truck.

pdmtong
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM

the real question is whether these are duplicate OR incremental colours to the ones on the bikes....and for those of you unaware, maybe we need another pic of the bike cave version 2 in this thread so the rationale is self evident.

for those into details, these are all CX versions. I imagine this is why the special edition rapha sadlles did not make the kevin cut.

chapeau!