PDA

View Full Version : Avocet

majorpat
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
So, I haven't had a computer on the bike for about five years and can't say it has been missed. Thinking I might get a simple one and checked out some online: not impressed. Why can't I find something like the old Avocet 15? Speed, distance and ride time in a unit that isn't square, cheap or goofy looking? Not interested in downloading info, Strava-ing or my heartrate. Anybody got a suggestion (or an old Avocet!)??

Pat

Keith A
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
I think Cateye still has some basic computers that might be what you are looking for.

Louis
01-15-2013, 02:25 AM
+1 on Cateye.

A while back I got a wired speed only model for a single-speed (can't remember the model).

My old (mid-late 80's) Cateye Micro is still going strong on my daily driver, and other than balky buttons if the temp is below 40*, it's as good as new.

Llewellyn
01-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Cateye Velo 8 - wired, simple and has all the basic functions you need. Cheap as chips from somewhere like Ribble. The only thing it has that is probably not much use is a calories consumed function - don't know how you can measure that accurately anyway, or why you would want to.

Carries on working if it rains too!!

charliedid
01-15-2013, 07:20 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Avocet-15-Cyclometers-Computer-/321055756668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac06a117c

thirdgenbird
01-15-2013, 07:31 AM
I think I have an avocet 45 somewhere... If you are interested I can try to dig it up.

Gummee
01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm trying to be the Underpants Gnome of Avocet computers. I've accumulated half a dozen or so.

Accumulate Avocet computers
?
Profit

:D

I'd run you towards a Cateye. I liked the Strada wireless for ease of use and 'not too many data fields at once.' One button. No wires. Yay for no wires!

M

oldpotatoe
01-15-2013, 07:45 AM
So, I haven't had a computer on the bike for about five years and can't say it has been missed. Thinking I might get a simple one and checked out some online: not impressed. Why can't I find something like the old Avocet 15? Speed, distance and ride time in a unit that isn't square, cheap or goofy looking? Not interested in downloading info, Strava-ing or my heartrate. Anybody got a suggestion (or an old Avocet!)??

Pat

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-VL520

Works, simple, reliable, $20

BumbleBeeDave
01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
. . . on four different bikes and just bought extra transmitters. Simple, works great, battery in head unit lasts for at least two years, and I have yet to have to replace a transmitter battery even after at least four years. Original head unit with transmitter is $50-60 and the thing is tiny and has multiple mounting options.

The only problem I've had is that the plastic rails on the mount wear a bit and it starts rattling. That's was fixed with one tiny piece of duct tape.

It IS kinda square, but what the heck . . .

BBD

carpediemracing
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
If you just want speed, distance, and time, and you have a smart phone, strava would be useful. You don't share or anything, just use it as your own private training log. I know you said you didn't want to strava but as a very basic tool it works great for me. I'm about the most unscientific rider I know of as far as training - my training is almost always JRA rides, with a few jumps thrown in for fun. I glance at my powermeter less frequently than I did a cyclometer, and in fact used to cover it up (I stopped covering it up when I realized if I really didn't want to look I wouldn't, and I don't so I don't).

I do a given loop that I normally do in training, takes a little less than an hour, and I don't do time trial type efforts when I train. If I'm 20% faster or slower then I know I'm going faster or slower by something significant enough to factor out wind etc. A minute or two and it doesn't count.

What's nice about strava is not having to log anything. Just end ride and it saves it for you. You can review at your leisure. It summarizes stuff kind of like the AMEX card does statements - you have monthly, weekly, notes, blah blah blah.

Finally you can "explore" an area and see where other people have segments. I discovered a short loop nearby - it's a development of some sort - that someone calls their "crit" course. I wouldn't have known about it except for Strava.

Having said all that when I was looking to track my speed on a track bike I used a wireless Cateye I had laying around. I lost it now and have looked for it every now and then. No cadence, just speed, max speed, avg speed, time, etc.

As far as why simple computers don't exist anymore, I think it's due to the fact that programming more stuff in is so simple and inexpensive that companies will just include them because they can.

fiamme red
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
http://www.jensonusa.com/!TSZHYBvY7PLeMnCsExDADg!/Sigma-BC509-Cycling-Computer?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CKmwq5rN6rQCFYKPPAodmCwAOQ

jmoore
01-15-2013, 10:27 AM
this

If you just want speed, distance, and time, and you have a smart phone, strava would be useful. You don't share or anything, just use it as your own private training log. I know you said you didn't want to strava but as a very basic tool it works great for me. I'm about the most unscientific rider I know of as far as training - my training is almost always JRA rides, with a few jumps thrown in for fun. I glance at my powermeter less frequently than I did a cyclometer, and in fact used to cover it up (I stopped covering it up when I realized if I really didn't want to look I wouldn't, and I don't so I don't).

I do a given loop that I normally do in training, takes a little less than an hour, and I don't do time trial type efforts when I train. If I'm 20% faster or slower then I know I'm going faster or slower by something significant enough to factor out wind etc. A minute or two and it doesn't count.

What's nice about strava is not having to log anything. Just end ride and it saves it for you. You can review at your leisure. It summarizes stuff kind of like the AMEX card does statements - you have monthly, weekly, notes, blah blah blah.

Finally you can "explore" an area and see where other people have segments. I discovered a short loop nearby - it's a development of some sort - that someone calls their "crit" course. I wouldn't have known about it except for Strava.

Having said all that when I was looking to track my speed on a track bike I used a wireless Cateye I had laying around. I lost it now and have looked for it every now and then. No cadence, just speed, max speed, avg speed, time, etc.

As far as why simple computers don't exist anymore, I think it's due to the fact that programming more stuff in is so simple and inexpensive that companies will just include them because they can.

thegunner
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
hey pat -- i recently switched all my bikes to a garmin 500 -- i have a strada wireless (no cadence, just wireless speed) that you can have for free. i have ONE* bike mounts in case you need it too... just lemme know :)

*someone asked about the extra mount

Keith A
01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
hey pat -- i recently switched all my bikes to a garmin 500 -- i have a strada wireless (no cadence, just wireless speed) that you can have for free. i have two bike mounts in case you need it too... just lemme know :)How can you beat this? Thanks!

majorpat
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Wow! That's what this community is all about. Will PM you to see if I have anything laying around that you could use. Thanks
Pat

Pete Mckeon
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
taking up space and is a light green, It is yours if you want it. PETE

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
From an old Avocet user, Cateye Strada wireless, non cadence. Relatively cheap, easy to set up, and the info you'd want.