PDA

View Full Version : Saddle ? - Same for road and commuter bikes or not?

Louis
01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Let's say you're setting up a commuter bike, where you'll have a somewhat more upright position compared to your road bike, do you use the same saddle as on the road bike, or do you use something else?

Louis

AgilisMerlin
01-14-2013, 06:19 PM
i usually set up all my bikes with same saddle (selleFlite)

as i do with shoes (sidi)

just my formula, and have had the luxury of forgetting about both when riding all of my bicycles

559Rando
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
On stretch leather (Brooks, Selle Ana..., Ideale, Berthoud...) you should be good either way.

CNY rider
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
First the question: Why are you going more upright on your commuter?
And my answer: I use the same saddles because for me it's the most comfortable thing out there no matter which bike it's on (Brooks Team Pro).
But for my go fast bike I have splurged for the Ti rail version.

And an admission: On my crappy winter commuter I have a WTB something or another. It's good enough, but not great.

Louis
01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
First the question: Why are you going more upright on your commuter?

Because it's a flat-bar 29er. Technically it won't be used for commuting, but the type of riding it will see is similar, so I decided to use that to describe the issue.

AngryScientist
01-14-2013, 06:27 PM
important question: cycling shorts with chamois on the commuter or no?

personally, the bike i ride most often in "street clothes" - brooks swallow. all the other bikes have either toupes or fizik something or others.

phcollard
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
All the same. Road bike, commuter, and I hope soon mountain bike. I found my nirvana in the Ritchey Marathon. Lucky me they can be as inexpensive as 30 bucks!

Louis
01-14-2013, 06:32 PM
important question: cycling shorts with chamois on the commuter or no?

Good point. Right now I'm thinking cycling Lycra w/ chamois most of the time, not street clothes.

Mike748
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Same saddle but rotated more nose up to match my raised torso angle.

MattTuck
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
You'd have to ride on it to be sure. Mike is on the scent, if your pelvis is rotated, or your weight distribution is different, you might be able to get away with the same saddle, same saddle tilted slightly, or a new saddle.

hockeybike
01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
One thing to keep in mind with a commuter/beer bike is what kind of clothes you're going to wear. I find that any saddle with stitching or perforations (Selle Italia SLR Gel flow, I'm looking at oyu) will tear up my jeans in way less time than a smooth saddle like a Flite. If you've got a 45 minute commute that you do in spandex, though, go with what you ride on the road--easier to set up contact points, and, why mess with what works?

OtayBW
01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Your sit bones are your sit bones are your sit bones. Same saddle for me.

shovelhd
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
My commuter is a CX bike with a more upright position than my race bike. Same saddle, Specialized Toupe, just titanium rails instead of carbon.

Louis
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys - I'll stick to Regal.

GRAVELBIKE
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
All my bikes have the same saddle (http://www.selleanatomica.com/store/). Slightly different bar heights, but always the same saddle.

Ralph
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Same saddle (Terry Fly), but steel rails on daily rider, and Ti on other bike.

msl819
01-14-2013, 09:28 PM
I come at this question from a different angle. My commute is short, less than 2 miles, so I "try" to keep costs on the commuter down as much as possible. My commuter usually has whatever on it. Comfort is not much if an issue at that distance. However, I have yet to find my nirvana road saddle, though the Regal is as close as I have come. If I were to find the perfect saddle for me I would have one on every bike and multiples in storage just in case.

schwa86
01-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Same saddle on both road bikes, but have used commuter (admittedly only a 12 mile commute daily) to test other saddles -- eg now trying one of the Selle Anatomicas that someone here posted on year-end sale. I do agree with previous posts that if you want exactly the same set-up/feel, it is sometimes hard to achieve.

Ken Robb
01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Brooks experts suggest that more upright positions will probably be more comfy with wider saddles and more aggressive positions will be better served by a narrower saddle.

I think this is partly because more upright position puts more weight on the sit bones and saddle while a more aggressive position moves weight off the sit bones-a bit toward the front of the saddle and the hands.

I would try riding the saddle I already own on the new bike. If it's comfy you win. If it leaves something to be desired start trying wider saddles to start your search for butt heaven.