PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Boltless" (or "Rivet") Shelving

559Rando
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
We're a diverse bunch here. And all a little nerdy, I'd wager (no offense intended!).

So...I moved into my house this summer and the garage is a scary. It's a 2 car garage that currently hold 1 (I think this probably common in my area). I have some wire restaurant shelving and ancient been-in-the-family-but-really-an-heirloom bookcase to hold my overstock/Costco purchases. Then there's a lot of stuff on the ground, around the car.

The wife wants to hire our contractor friend to build some shelving across the wall out of wood. I'm thinking boltless shelving*.

The ceiling is 10' tall. I'm thinking of 8' shelving, with some extra overstock for less commonly used items up top (Christmas decor, or who knows what).

I'm even scheming to make a workbench section on one side out of this stuff, with, below some additional storage.

Anything I ought to know before I jump in? Tips, brands, how to save, anything is appreciated!

*In case you're not familiar with boltless shelving, it's this stuff:
http://www.actionwp.com/uploads/images/full/276.jpg

pdmtong
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
i'll play.

IMHO the reality is that once you set up the shelving, and then load it up, you will probably never reconfigure it. that said, I would prefer the boltless as you put it than a built into place unit. if you want some flexibility, you might even put one unit on wheels. just make sure you set the shelve heights so they can accomodate what you store, like maybe 3 flats of water stacked, or the towel/toilet paper bulk package from costco. dont push one end all the way up against the wall, so now you leave space to stand/lean some tall stuff in the corner. put an anchor eyebolt into a stud so you can tie the shelf into the wall and earthquake proof it.

559Rando
01-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I'll definitely be tying it into the studs. Maybe run a few 2x4s to the studs so I can put a few screws through the rails into the 2x4.

Louis
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
"Open" shelving is convenient, but looks messy. If you're starting from scratch I'd recommend a little bit of open shelves for stuff you use frequently, and either free-standing or wall-mounted cabinets for most stuff. It will look much better. (but will be more expensive)

cachagua
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Those always seem rickety to me... although, every time I see them, they're holding up huge amounts of stuff.

You might at least compare prices against the kits consisting of vertical rails you screw to the studs, and shelves (and other attachments of every kind) you hang on the rails. There's a million systems, everybody from The Orange Place to The Blue Place to The Blue and Yellow Place sells them... I like 'em 'cause they're easier to tailor if you have tall things, short things, things to hang, etc.

pdmtong
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
rubbermaid tubs and moving boxes = no messy look

pdmtong
01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Those always seem rickety to me... although, every time I see them, they're holding up huge amounts of stuff.

You might at least compare prices against the kits consisting of vertical rails you screw to the studs, and shelves (and other attachments of every kind) you hang on the rails. There's a million systems, everybody from The Orange Place to The Blue Place to The Blue and Yellow Place sells them... I like 'em 'cause they're easier to tailor if you have tall things, short things, things to hang, etc.

a wall mount shelf unit will not hold as much weight...for instance i wouldnt put a case of water on the top shelf of one of those....

559Rando
01-14-2013, 05:09 PM
You might at least compare prices against the kits consisting of vertical rails you screw to the studs, and shelves (and other attachments of every kind) you hang on the rails.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to do that for stuff like brooms, rakes, etc. For the big stuff, the storage capacity of their shelves are nuttin' compared to the monster capacity I'll get with the boltless rig. Plus, I think, rows and rows of those rail would be more expensive.

"Open" shelving is convenient, but looks messy. If you're starting from scratch I'd recommend a little bit of open shelves for stuff you use frequently, and either free-standing or wall-mounted cabinets for most stuff. It will look much better. (but will be more expensive)

Good advice. I looked into cabinets, but having to move the car to open the doors wide didn't make sense, plus I don't see many cabinets 8' - 10' tall and 2' deep. The cost would be way more than my planned bolt set up.

Down the road, I might hang some kind of curtain if the clutter affects the garage decor, but right now, anything will beat the look of insanity that has taken over.