PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Double Century Ride Recap

znfdl
10-31-2005, 08:29 AM
On October 29th, I started the Death Valley Double Century (actually 198 miles, with almost 10,000 feet of vertical gain) at 7:10 am. The temperatures were a cool 57 degrees with a brilliant sunrise. At 7:09 and several seconds the countdown began and at 7:10 the race was on. The riders started to hammer out a pace that was between 23 mph and 28 mph. I made the split and stayed with the fast group for a while. At the 96 mile mark with 6,000 feet of climbing behind me, I pulled into the rest stop after 6 hours and 10 minutes of riding and rest stop time. I was the 22nd rider out of 150 riders at the 96 mile checkpoint and was a full 1 hour and 20 minutes ahead of schedule. The mountain range at the 96 mile mark was a nice surprise as the mountains consisted of brilliant pink rock. The next 25 miles turned out to be more problematic, as the combination of a steady headwind, poor pavement and a 10 mile grade caused my average speed to plummet. I made it into the 121 mile rest stop in slightly less than 8 hours total time. After lunch there was a short screaming downhill and a climb to the volcanic formation of the UBEHEHE crater. This short 10 mile detour (5 miles out and back) had a bump in the pavement every 100 feet and a strong steady headwind. After climbing back out from the crater the screaming downhill continued. I hit a rock and heard the familiar pop sound. I was waiting for the hiss that usually follows the pop sound, but I escaped a flat tire or so I thought. I continued riding the remaining 30 miles until the 165 mile rest stop. I noticed that I was working harder than I expected at that point in the ride, but kept plugging along. I pulled into the 165 mile rest stop in just under 11 hours of total riding and rest stop time. I also noticed that my front tire had about 50 pounds of air in it, which explained why I was working so hard. At this point I was still 1 hour and 30 minutes ahead of schedule. The remaining obstacles to finishing the ride consisted of a almost 7 mile 2,000 foot climb up Hell’s Gate, a long fast downhill and 10 miles of flat road. Climbing Hell’s Gate under the stars was a beautiful experience. At mile 174, I decided to take a nature break and did not realize that my bike was not pointed directly up the hill. When I stopped, I ended up falling on my left side, which caused severe back spasms. I lay on the ground for about 45 seconds, hoping that the spasms would subside. I got off my bike, took my nature break and started to climb again. I went about 200 feet before the spasms returned, I rested for about 10 minutes to let the spasms calm down and I repeated this process for a half hour before I decided to abandon the ride as there was no way that was going to be able to climb the last 2 miles. I rode back down the climb to the 169 mile rest stop. Once I got off the bike, the back spasms continued for another hour. I ended up riding a total of 180 miles but depressed as I was so close to the finish, but one bonehead mistake cost me a sub 13 hour double century. Overall, I was happy with my ride, as this was a ride to test how much I recovered from a knee injury and almost 2 years off the bike.

bluesea
10-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Awesome dude! Sounds like a great ride--there's always next year.

spiderlake
10-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Awesome recap!! I'm sorry to hear you had to drop out but sounds like you still had a great time. Any pictures of the amazing scenery??

george
10-31-2005, 11:06 AM
So close yet so far away! The glass is half FULL! You rode 180 fantastic miles within the Death Valley Double Century Ride. Great acomplishment. :) :beer: :)

Too Tall
10-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Awesome ride Stu. You have nothing to regret and I'll help you overcome the back spasm issues...I got's a few good ideas why this is happening.

Folks, aside from Queen this dewd backinnaday he is the all time strongest tandem stoker I've EVER ridden with. It is nice to see you finding and crushing your goals my man :) bah-na-na

znfdl
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
All:

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry, I did not take any pictures as I was pretty well occupied. I will be there again next year, with a new bike and a good attitude. I am so happy to be getting back in shape.

Too Tall definitely will hook up with you on working out the back spasms.

bluesea
10-31-2005, 11:37 AM
How were the temp and heat throughout the day?

Spinner
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
a tough break yet a strong outcome. great job making the most of it.

znfdl
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
How were the temp and heat throughout the day?

Bluesea:

The day was perfect, as the high temp was about 85 degrees and the low temp about 60. When I had a tailwind, it felt on the hot side as there were no clouds to break up the sunshine, which was reflected off the rocks and sand.

RABikes2
10-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Great report znfdl. You're a champ to us; 180 miles including all the climbing makes for some very positive input! You go big guy, glad you're back on the bike. :banana:

RA

slowgoing
10-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Great job. You proved you're back in shape. The rest doesn't matter as much as that.

As a sufferer of occasional back spasms, I can't imagine the stress on your back of having the bike roll so that you twist about your standing leg. I'm sure your stomach muscles got a workout too, trying to resist the twisting.

Heal fast, stretch your quads and do lots of stomach exercizes. Works for me, most of the time anyway.

vaxn8r
10-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, I'm impressed. It didn't go as you planned and now that leaves you something to work towards, especially as you now know you can do it. Nice effort, great report.

Take a rest for a week or a 3 and get back on your bike. If your experience is anything like my DC's, in about a week or two you're going to be going scary fast.