PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Kirk Terraplane Centerpuller

dbrk
10-31-2005, 08:19 AM
This will be the first of two ride reports (if there is any interest in the first). The reason is that I hope to ride the bike again for some distance when I'm feeling better. Yesterday was my first longish ride, a bit over two hours because, well, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. The bear had a feast on my sorry self yesterday; first I thought I just couldn't warm up, then I felt plain horrible and recovered enough to make that last 35 minutes okay. Enough complaining but how _we_ are tells us a great deal about what we think the bike is, no?

We rode rollers at a rouleur pace. There are few flats just north of my Finger Lakes home but it's not nearly as up and down as it is here, a bit further south. I'd swapped out the Dugast 27c wheelset for Avocet 32c clinchers primarily because I didn't have a properly prepared spare tire and I've not the time lately to spend detailing the bikes. (I'm working on other folks' bikes, Tournesol!) These are fat, comfortable, and slick tires that take 95psi max. They tend to roll a bit slower than RolyPoly/RuffyTuffy tires but they give you as posh a ride as ever you'd like. I was with two guys on skinny tires and felt no disadavantage for the "slower" tires (it wasn't the tires that slowed me down yesterday...). I think tires are "the other third" of the way a bike feels: there's you, the frame/fork, the tires. The other equipment on the bike is the fourth third (you do the math), lagging far behind frame/fork and tires/wheels. When you ride a 32c Avocet it almost makes no difference what wheel you ride because the feeling is all in the tires. I will ride the Terraplane again with Michilen 25c next week if the weather holds up.

The bike has a sit-in feeling for me. That is, it is designed to have about 2cm of bar/saddle drop and to _plant you_ on the Brooks B17. Unless you have had this sensation it is hard to describe: with a B17 or comparable saddle you sit in it rather than on it. The ride wants you in the seat, and you start to relax your shoulders and neck, you pedal to cadence. The "downside" such as it is is that you feel less inclined to sprint and far more inclined to ride at pace without fast accelerations. The bike responded just perfectly to what lame advances I made in effort but what was clear was that the frame was as entirely planted as the saddle. It was like a match made in heaven. I have a few frames that feel like this: Goodrich-made Rivendell, a Mariposa, and a Singer, all of which are seamlessly part of the whole experience of _being in the saddle_. You want to stay down, pedal in constant happy strokes, and plow along taking hills, flats, descents, and turns with an easy aplomb. Never for a moment does the bike hesitate or flinch: you want to sit in and just ride and ride and ride.

In fact, had the bike not been so forgiving and kind, I'da' had a heck of a time because I felt so poorly physically. The bike has a kind of oldschool design with a 1" top tube and no oversized tubes elsewhere. I don't need more stiffness and usually I like less. There was no way I could rub the front derailleur or get other untoward responses out of the frame: it is balanced, straight, and clean as a whistle. Some bikes are better at slow speeds than others and this bike isn't demanding that you race it. That was exactly what I asked for and I think Mr Kirk can build a bike to suit its purpose just right. Kudos for hitting my own preferences.

I did get in one excellent descent. Since I'm not keen on turning sharply or testing if my bike "rides like its on rails", I resort to more mundane experiences like taking my hands off the bars when the descending, usually at about 40 or so mph. Then I hold the bars softly again and go as fast as I can. A great bike keeps the line, doesn't wobble, and instills confidence that you aren't going to die today. Personally I think this sort of test tells me more about a bike than any kind of crit-style runs but that's likely because I no longer give a hoot for tight turning speed. I want a bike that will go all day through hill and dale, down steep hills, not fuss to climb, respond to input just so, and invite you to enjoy the road, the scenery, the ride without having to pay too much attention to keeping it straight, solid, and going along. The Terraplane hits the mark, 10 out of 10. Bravo. It is the peer of the best bikes I own.

As for the terrplane rear...perhaps I was not in countenance to tell if it has any particular effects or advantages. I can say this for certain: the rear never skipped, did not hesitate, kept me planted on the road even when the pavement turned sketchy. I made a point of going over rough road and some pot holes but yesterday was no day to test the powers of acceleration or of daring-do, I just wanted to be on a bike that gave me as much forgiveness as I could ask for (and still keep up with my friends, I rode with two pals yesterday though I usually ride alone). Certainly the terraplane rear is nothing like the YBB or the DKS, both of which are more active as suspension. In contrast, I think the terraplane simply adds to the essential solidity of the bike, perhaps as much a feature of other design aspects. I will try to say more about it in the future.

The only oddity in bits on this bike are the Paul's Racer centerpulls and I have to say that I like them aplenty though likely no more or less than long reach/std reach 57mm calipers. They stop better than any cantilevers I have used (yuch, cantilevers...) and swapping tires and the rest is easy enough. Good stopping power, enough for me though some people seem to think that they need more and more (I don't). The Nitto Randonneur bars are like old friends and the TA pedals with clips and straps make me wonder why I use an clipless at all. Oh, the Brooks leather wrap was excellent: just enough, not too squishy (I think it is more positive than cork tape. I have grown to dislike cork tape over simple cotton, preferring a more positive feel. I think the leather wraps like this Brooks and Jitensha's Fujitoshi tape are the best place between cork and cotton). The feel on the wrap is very positive, not slippery and that is a very good thing.

More later about this all but for now let me say that I could not be more pleased with fit and feel, with performance and choices. The bike suits my tastes just right, from design to finish: elegant, precise, and bringing out the best qualities of its builder. 10s all around, I say.

dbrk

dirtdigger88
10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
thats how a ride report should be. . .

Thanks, Douglas!!

Jason

dauwhe
10-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Every post from Mr. Brooks is an education. Sometimes we think so much about bikes that we forget about the rider. I'm reminded again that how I feel on a given day is even more important than tire size!

I hope you feel better, and continue to enjoy all your wonderful bikes!

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

CNY rider
10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed every minute of it, and will be looking forward to part deux.

rnhood
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Excellent ride report and very communicative. Those Kirk frames really look nice.

dbrk
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Thank goodness Monday's two hours were nothing like Sunday's for the way I felt on the bike. A strange kind of relief washed over me when I pulled into the driveway feeling human in comparison to, say, like Beetlegeuse.

I swapped out wheels again to see how the bike would ride with Rivendell RuffyTuffy 27c, my favorite of all tires (round, reliable, just as "fast" as any tire I like, none of the angst associated with flatting a Dugast...). I left from the house here in the Finger Lakes and that puts you on dirt and hardpack for the first half mile. I then aimed for both smooth and rough roads, looking for alley-oop hills and places where the absence of traffic gives you the ease to attend to the bike or not but not to your life at the risk of drivers. I chose an east-west route for the most part and there was a strong, relentless headwind from the southwest, at points right into the teeth, at others a few points off the bow. The last six miles consisted of the ride up from Richmond/Honeyoe, a road familiar to Tour de FingerLakers who will remember this last climb back to the house. Since that's an easterly route the wind disappeared, not feeling like much of a help, though it is, but not harassing you while you are climbing steadily, easily up this long series of hills.

The Rivendell tires, I must confess, roll faster than the Avocet 32c Dura but these latter tires are the nicest, squishy-est slicks I've tried. So you can't have more comfort than the Avocets but you do give up a bit. I find no advantage in difference between the Rivendell tires and any other skinnier, harder road tires, so I'd just as soon ride 27c. Interestingly, the Kirk is just as sweet with the 27c as with the 32c and I didn't notice much difference in handling, perhaps a nudge quicker up front but not enough to cause you to attend. I took my hands off the bars on a fast descent and once again got the positive, straight, certainly-perfectly-aligned feeling of the whole bike going forward. It is a flawless, gentle, and forgiving ride but one that makes you happy to go fast, or just as fast as you like. I never found the bike lagging: sometimes when you stop pedalling certain bikes/tires/whole experience gives up, as if the momentum quits, but not on the Kirk. You get a bit more than you put into it and that's another mark of greatness: comparable to the Sachs, Pegoretti, Hampsten, and this one particular Goodrich. It's almost as if the bike wants to give back to you better than you give.

The best, best part was coming back onto that last half mile of hardpack dirt, potholes, and then my driveway. Again, TdFLers will remember that the gravel driveway descends to the house, in fact, more steeply than it first appears. It's a great sprint because you can always bail out onto the grass and risk nothing more than your dignity. I was feeling good (praise the lords) and hauled down the drive, stood up and pounded some, and there it was: the rear _stuck_ to the road. This bike is planted on the road, giving you every last bit of security, fun, and a sense of power to the drivetrain. Can't ask for better. I honestly don't think that the terraplane rear moves as much as 5mm, or 5mm more than any other unbent rear, but it certainly sticks the road perfectly. There is, what I would call, a natural flex but not anything comparable to ST, YBB, or DKS, all of which are active in suspension in different degrees. Terraplane is just right, not more movement than you'd ever want (this can happen on others with more active suspension, especially climbing), but it is profoundly forgiving and happy to take the input without giving up a moment to slip.

Perhaps another ride report but I think I've had enough paces now to feel like I have the lay of the bike. Keeper. "Keeper" is my highest compliment. Keeper puts this bike in league with my favorites and the best ones I've ever had. I love lots of bikes, really, truly, but not every one is a keeper for the _ride_ as well as for the aesthetic. The Kirk Terraplane gets capital "K"eeper.

dbrk

Ginger
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Douglas,

Thanks for putting into words the feeling I get every time I ride my terraplane!

Mary Ann

Spinner
11-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Your detailed words paint a vivid picture. Thanks for two more rides through the Finger Lakes.

Tailwinds
11-02-2005, 10:08 AM
GREAT ride report, extremely well-articulated -- as always, dbrk.

These two comments in particular stand out for me:

It's almost as if the bike wants to give back to you better than you give..

That's EXACTLY my impression of the Kirk, especially on climbs. I'd even say it's "energetic."

there it was: the rear _stuck_ to the road. This bike is planted on the road, giving you every last bit of security, fun, and a sense of power to the drivetrain. Can't ask for better.

Yes, yes, yes! That is exactly what the Terraplane does! I had miles and miles of pleasure descending the mountains here in CO (before the motorist took us out). I'd say that is where the bike shines the most, if I could only pick one thing.

I agree about it being a keeper. I loved my bike so much... that's why I ordered another one.

victoryfactory
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
The bike has a sit-in feeling for me. That is, it is designed to have about 2cm of bar/saddle drop and to _plant you_ on the Brooks B17. Unless you have had this sensation it is hard to describe:

I Like that phrase. That is a quality I've noticed from time to time over the
years and found it hard to describe to others.
My Masi ca1976 had it, so does my Legend Ti, but many other bikes
(some very high end) have not.

DBRK thanks for illumining a fit concept that I've always had touble expressing,
good job.

VF, I'll even take a crack at part 2 if you feel like posting it....

jl123
11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
DBRK,
Thanks for the thoughtful test ride.

So if I read you clearly, its your experience that the terraplane mostly aids with keeping the rear wheel hooked up to the road. Certainly thats got to be an good evolution for bikes.

I cannot help but wonder how differently Mr. Kirk's varying Terraplane bends and custom tube applications affect each bikes ride.

Here's a quote from Dave Thompson from awhile back:

"The bike handled all put to it with aplomb. It's very predictably and feels safe at any speed (that I've attained). The addition of the Terraplane seat stays hasn't changed any of those characteristics. What they have done is make the bike smoother on chipseal surfaces. The buzz is really toned down. Also the sharp bumps, such as expansion joints, have the sharp part of the 'hit' removed by the Terraplane stays."

Just an assumption here, but maybe Mr. Kirk can tune his rear stays to a rather noticable degree? I suppose its down to obviously many other factors as well (tires, wheels, etc) but none-the-less I'm prepared to believe that very thin and agressively angled terraplane stays, might be capable of moving quite a bit- that is if a buyer desired such a thing.

Thanks again for the review, JL

beungood
11-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Doug, Awesome description of riding the Kirk I could almost imagine being on it. You available to write term papers?

dave thompson
11-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Doulas, we demand pictures!

bfd
11-03-2005, 02:28 PM
dbrk states:

<The Rivendell tires, I must confess, roll faster than the Avocet 32c Dura but these latter tires are the nicest, squishy-est slicks I've tried.>

If you were looking for *fastest* rolling Avocet tire, then you compared the wrong Avocet tire. You should have tried the Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 tire, not the 700x32 Duro. The Fasgrip is a "true* 25mm wide tire, closer to the 27mm of the Riv tire than the 32mm wide Avocet Duro, and when it was known as the Avocet Fasgrip Road 30, formerly mislabeled as 700x28 (actually measured between 24-26mm wide), it had arguably one of the lowest rolling resistance ever tested:
graph
http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/imgs/rolres.gif
discussion
http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/rrdiscuss.html

jbay
11-03-2005, 09:42 PM
If you were looking for *fastest* rolling Avocet tire, then you compared the wrong Avocet tire. You should have tried the Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 tire, not the 700x32 Duro. [...]

We don't know that though. There is no graph shown for the Avocet Duros. Given that the Avocet Roads (700 x 25, measured) have lower rolling resistance than the Avocet Criteriums (700 x 23, measured), it would not be an unreasonable leap to presume that the Duros (700 x 28, measured) have lower rolling resistance than the Roads.

FWIW, to me, the Avocet Duros (the regular, non-Kevlar lined version) feel faster than the Rivendell Rolly-Polys and very noticeably faster than the Ruffy-Tuffys. However, given how unreliable human perception is, it may have been more to do with the phase of the moon on that particular day...

-- John

mls
01-10-2006, 06:27 PM
hey douglas did you try the 25s yet love to hear the
review thanks

Serotta PETE
01-10-2006, 06:36 PM
THanks for the excellent write up -- wish the magazines would learn from you.

Hope that you are feeling better also.....

PETE