PDA

View Full Version : Wire Bead vs Folding

msl819
01-13-2013, 11:30 PM
What is the performance difference if there is any? Why choose one over the other? I have always used folding but couldn't tell you why.

Steve in SLO
01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Most wire bead tires weigh ~100g more than their folding counterparts. That's why I usually go folding.

Louis
01-14-2013, 01:22 AM
As Steve said, there's a difference in weight. Also, since folks are willing to pay extra for less weight, most of the higher-end tires tend to be Kevlar bead, and the wire-bead tires lower down the range of offerings. Lots of wire-bead tires are perfectly serviceable.

monkeybanana86
01-14-2013, 03:06 AM
wow I never even thought about this except on practical levels. Good info!

Brucer
01-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Kevlar beaded tires are a bit easier to get on and off the rim, as well.

oldpotatoe
01-14-2013, 06:51 AM
What is the performance difference if there is any? Why choose one over the other? I have always used folding but couldn't tell you why.

Lighter and if ya want to take a spare tire, gotta be folding. I guess less weight would translate into some sort of 'performance difference', but it's teeny. Most low end tires don't come in folding version, most high end don't come in wire..some cross over in the middle.

AS was mentioned, sometimes easier to get on, foldable.

shovelhd
01-14-2013, 06:57 AM
If you buy in bulk, you've bought your spares until you need them. Spares, on the bike, or in your luggage when traveling with the bike.

AngryScientist
01-14-2013, 07:11 AM
they heavy tires, that are heavy anyway, are just fine in wire-bead version. continental gatorskins, for example, no need to buy a kevlar bead in them IMO.

AgilisMerlin
01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
i just like tires in tidy little boxes.

difference, for me, not noticeable-

i never buy wire bead

Bob Loblaw
01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
I ride both. Can't tell the difference.

BL

palincss
01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Lighter and if ya want to take a spare tire, gotta be folding.

Not really. Back in the 70s, before folding tires were so common, you often saw tourists carrying spare wire bead tires coiled into 3 loops taped together, spare sitting on top of the panniers. If you've ever ordered wire bead tires and had them shipped, you've almost certainly found them coiled in the box that way. There are tutorials and videos showing how to coil the tires.

msl819
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys... good info here!

fiamme red
01-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Not really. Back in the 70s, before folding tires were so common, you often saw tourists carrying spare wire bead tires coiled into 3 loops taped together, spare sitting on top of the panniers. If you've ever ordered wire bead tires and had them shipped, you've almost certainly found them coiled in the box that way. There are tutorials and videos showing how to coil the tires.I often carry a wire-bead spare tire folded that way in my pannier or saddlebag.

flydhest
01-14-2013, 10:42 AM

Funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I always found wire bead tires easier to get on and off. It has been years, though, since I used a wire beaded one, so things may have changed.

fiamme red
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I always found wire bead tires easier to get on and off.That has been my experience too. Then again, I've never tried to mount a wire-bead tire on a Campagnolo Proton rim. :help:

Chance
01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
That has been my experience too. Then again, I've never tried to mount a wire-bead tire on a Campagnolo Proton rim. :help:

+2

Don't use them often, but the last ones were easier to mount. They were Continental Gatorskins.

Chance
01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Maybe not performance related, but folding tires always seem easier for me to check for debris when changing a flat. A small piece of glass or wire can sometimes be extracted easier if the tire can be turned inside out. Other than that an weight not much difference.

Brucer
01-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I had to replace a Rubino Pro with a non-folding Rubino on a Stan's NoTube rim while a group of 12 riders waited patiently until I'd mounted the tire. The folding tire had been relatively easy to mount. The non-folding one, not so much. In the time it took to get the tire on the rim, the rest of the group could have read War and Peace.

Fishbike
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I once got a nasty whack in the lip when unfolding a wire beaded tire. The thing sprung open quickly -- like one of those fake snakes in a can -- and caught my face and cut my lip. Really hurt for a while. A folding tire has never assaulted me.

MattTuck
11-18-2015, 05:44 PM
This forum is the gift that keeps on giving. Had a quick question, and as usual, the forum has the answer. Weisan would be proud.

jasonification
11-18-2015, 06:24 PM
I once got a nasty whack in the lip when unfolding a wire beaded tire. The thing sprung open quickly -- like one of those fake snakes in a can -- and caught my face and cut my lip. Really hurt for a while. A folding tire has never assaulted me.

This made me laugh out loud:hello:

PFSLABD
01-17-2016, 02:40 PM

That's for sure. I can't stand folding tires. They're nice to have on a long tour because they're easier to pack, but putting them on is a bear. Once you get them shaped to fit the rim, though they make a nice secure bead all around.