PDA

View Full Version : RX glass for wide faces.

vqdriver
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
inspired by the other glasses thread, i've been putting off getting prescription riding glasses and have just been getting by with my daily wear set. but they're less than ideal, so i suppose it's time to try out a dedicated pair for riding/sports. does anyone know which of the makers (oakley, rudy, smith, etc) makes frame for wider faces? narrow temples with spring loaded arms do not count.

christian
01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
I would call Bret at Sports Optical and talk to him. He'll steer you right. Probably my favorite retail purchase of the last ten years is from Bret. He can do things with rx cycling glasses that no one else can.

vqdriver
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM
thanks.

Walter
01-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Sports Optical is the way to go. They steered me to the Rudy Project Ketyum frame for wider faces. Mine work perfectly.

Bruce K
01-13-2013, 06:05 PM
+1000 on Sports Optical

Excellent, friendly service, wide variety of manufacturers, models, and lens choices

BK

crownjewelwl
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I have a pretty wide melon and I wear prescription oakley flak jackets

I have jawbones too but prefer the flaks...

deechee
01-14-2013, 10:22 AM
The widest sports sunglasses I've ever tried were Specialized's. I don't know if they do Rx, and in your strength.

I have a large head (although my dad's is bigger) and I had a pair of Rudy Project Ketyum's made for me by Sports Optical. They're nice n' all but at -5.25 and -5.5 they are extremely thick and heavy. I wear them mainly for commuting but for any serious riding I much prefer contacts + Oakley Radars.

Its too bad we can't get higher index lenses for sports glasses.

Bkat
01-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Definitely try Sports Optical in Denver. I've never been able to wear prescription sports lenses due to the curvature making me nauseous. After finally being tired of wearing my regular glasses to ride, I had them make up a pair of tinted prescription lenses for my Rudy Projects that were sitting in a drawer. It seems they have their own method for curved lenses and it works! I recently ordered another pair of RPs from them with transition lenses so that I had clear lenses that would tint some if the sun pops out. Perfect for gloomy winter riding. I can't say enough good things about that company.