PDA

View Full Version : Catching The Dream - Riding In France

Joel
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
In September I had the chance of a lifetime to ride the great local back roads and legendary climbs of the Tour De France.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115101

And let me tell you that the reality of it is all far-far-far beyond one’s wildest dreams. We’re talking the kind of scenery that our esteemed members ‘velotel’ and ‘maxn’ are always posting.

Buzzing through the story-book beautiful towns; climbing through meadows with plenty of cow-bell – from the real cows! Topping off a water bottle from a mountain spring; lunching at a café overlooking an endless vista, sweeping down mountain passes like the wind.

And that all is just the warm up for the main event – the climbs we have all contemplated for years. Alpe D’Huez; Glandon; Galibier all of them. Watching on TV, wondering –what would it be like? How would it feel? I could try to describe it, but frankly it’d be a futile effort. They must be ridden, with a big smile!

And I must give a shout out to Teresa Harte & Roger Dunne, who run Velo Vercors www.velovercors.com in Saint-Jean-en-Royans. The tour they put together was nothing short of artistry. Imagine an ex-pro who knows each and every wonderful road setting the itinerary, and then selecting fun local lodging and great food and wine. Well -- that’s what they did and it was just spectacular.

Now I’m just angling on how to go back again!

***Pictures added below***

tiretrax
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Sounds great. Post some pictures, if you have any.

I read your former post. Sounds like we have similar memories, although I got hooked in 1st grade by my ex-parisian french teacher. Anquetil had recently completed his five wins and Merckx was ramping up his career. She'd regale us with stories of watch Le Tour if we completed our work early.

Looking back, it's funny how satiating I found the coverage of Wild World on Sports or CBS Sports Saturday in comparison to live coverage on cable that I enjoy today. Recently, I watched a John Tesch clip of the 88 TDF. It was hard to get through the 20 minutes. I also remember reading cycling magazines at my LBS because I was saving my allowance for parts and gear.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Stand and deliver! :p

BBD

mike p
01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
More details! Pictures! Now!

Mike

Joel
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
I am not a professional photographer by any means, and quite frankly most of the time I was riding along smiling with sheer joy to be shooting, but here's the first group. A few more to follow

Joel
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
OK gang, here are the rest of them.

None of this even -- remotely -- does the real thing justice.

Enjoy!

Buzz
01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Fantastic. Thanks for posting!

dancinkozmo
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
yeah...great stuff !! thanks !!!

Nags&Ducs
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM
stunning!!!! soooo jealous!!!

soulspinner
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Sweet:hello:

AngryScientist
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM
this one is stunning. i love it. thanks for sharing these.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=108971&stc=1&d=1358109557

Joel
01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
That's the 'col de rousset' climbing out of the town of Die. Which was a rather appropriate name for the way we felt after battling the winds all the way up the climb :)

AngryScientist
01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
That's the 'col de rousset' climbing out of the town of Die. Which was a rather appropriate name for the way we felt after battling the winds all the way up the climb :)

tell me Joel, if you dont mind me asking - what type of training did you do to prepare for a trip like this, living in Florida.

i do a little climbing, but it truly is little compared to some of the stuff that exists across the pond. i've often wondered if i'd be totally overwhelmed attempting some of the stories climbs of europe given my normal riding...

Joel
01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Training, yes training in Florida for the Alps!

Basically I did a ton of miles on the fixed gear. :bike:

The program was about 60 miles on the fix both weekend mornings. The roads out west of Orlando do have some rolling hills and some fairly sharp climbs. Net, for a 60 miler, about 30 miles is dead flat and 30 miles is rolling. Each and every climb on the fix was ridden as hard as I could. Then fast spin down. The flat 30 was tempo riding, just keeping the rpm's smooth and high. It gets windy here, and the stronger headwinds tend to be on the return end of the trip, so I just would keep it moving. I allowed myself one stop at the 38 mile mark for water and a power bar (bike only fits one water bottle which in itself is good training in the Florida heat).

Then during the week I would do 20 or 25 in the evenings on the fixed gear. Three or four nights a week. This was higher intensity work. Most all dead flat with just a couple of rises. Due to crazy work hours (60-80)/family/kids etc. these were highly variable. All in it turned out to be about a 7000 mile year.

Beyond that it was really about making sure I was using my time well. I've been in the sport seriously since 1976, and have always been a decent climber as I'm not a very big guy.

Probably the most important thing is that i did not try to kill myself on the Alps. It was a tour and not a race. I just wanted to be in good enough shape to enjoy the ride. Roger - who is the ex pro who set the courses said that the most important thing (and we all know this) is to ride your own pace and don't "take the bait".

The rental bike was equipped with a triple and I did use it quite often. No shame there. My legs felt great the entire time - and the only time they didn't was just because I was stupid and let my pride get in the way chasing. Well the exception might be the last kilometer of the Glandon - which was freaking insane.

The climbing is quite different from the Rocky Mountains - which are high, but not often all that steep and have a consistent gradient. The Alps are not all that high, but the gradient is constantly changing with the switchbacks, and the wind is a huge factor.

All that said, it's a blast! As I said, Teresa and Roger put together a heck of program that mixed it up and made it just far too much fun! :):):)

Happy to help with anything else.

Joel

AngryScientist
01-14-2013, 10:58 AM
thanks for the thorough response. strong work!

idragen
01-16-2013, 01:25 PM
awesome pics! truly a dream ride!!

patstar
01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
epic trip, thanks for the pics and the report
Looked like a blast!

67-59
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Looks beautiful. A trip like that is on my bucket list.

572cv
01-16-2013, 03:05 PM
The Vercors is simply spectacular, one of the most versatile riding areas in France.... a gateway drug to the Alps. A group of us rented a place near St-Jean-en-Royans in Sept '11. It was magical. Coming home after a great day on the road, through the grape arbor with the sun setting on the mountains:

poff
01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Here is a glimpse of Pyrenees.

Flying Pigeon
01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Great stuff!! Thanks! Lovin' the Col de Rousset.

Could you escape the tourist traffic in the Vercors?

Flying Pigeon
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Dang, what a place! You weren't far from here, the Combe Laval:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/airwise2/58787f16.jpg

majorpat
01-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Wow! Must go to France someday to ride.

572cv
01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Great stuff!! Thanks! Lovin' the Col de Rousset.

Could you escape the tourist traffic in the Vercors?

In September, there was no tourist traffic that I could see. Tons of white roads... One time I rode 45 minutes and didn't see a car ( in motion).

The Combe Laval is amazing, waaayy up above st-Jean, and a great ride.

Pete Mckeon
01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Remember riding with a gang around OTTROTT and it was one of the best places I have ever ridden and also consumed red wine.

IT does not have nitrates as wine sold in US does - - and there were NO headaches in the morning from consuming too much the past evening.

In the morning we had a wonderful breakfast, then went for a long ride till around one, then came back for siesta AND then more red wine.

:)Sure would like to go back sometime.

Joel
01-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Hey Gang,

Sorry so long to respond...been out of the country.

Very little traffic in the Vercors while we were there, but it was not 'high' season.

And the Combe Laval was crazy fun! You can see the entrance tunnel in the second to last picture. The day we came down was extraordinarily windy (40 mph - 50 mph). I'm not a big guy and was getting blown all over the place. And for those of you who have been there - riding next to the side on a quiet day is something else. On a windy day - well - somewhat short of scary for a flat lander like me.

All good!

idragen
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Dang, what a place! You weren't far from here, the Combe Laval:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u496/airwise2/58787f16.jpg

wish I could be in this pic!