PDA

View Full Version : Another request for the board fit Gurus- Pick the frame!

inthegutter
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Hey all,

Well I know you guys know the fit stuff inside and out and I am having some trouble matching my frame size. I have to get a team bike next year (merckx, I know it's a tough life :D ) and I need some help picking the closest sloping or non-sloping merckx size to my current ride, a Trek 5900.

I spliced the only geometry info I could find on the two frames and made a single Jpeg of it....

http://www.loudandcleardesigns.com/Bikefit.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Oh, my inseam is 91.2 cm if that helps anything..
?

loctite
10-31-2005, 06:22 AM
As far as what is close to your Trek its the 56 in the classic and the 51 in the sloping. The sloping is a hole degree slacker in the ST, thats a pretty big difference, im not sure how this may or may not effect you, it may be better, who knows. The one Big thing is that the Merx chart dosent give HT height, this could affect your drop, especially on the slopping. I would find out what they are on both frames and post it. Good luck!

Argos
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah. What Loctite said.

Loctite, what's with the saying under your avatar? I'm curious.

djg
10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
As far as what is close to your Trek its the 56 in the classic and the 51 in the sloping. The sloping is a hole degree slacker in the ST, thats a pretty big difference, im not sure how this may or may not effect you, it may be better, who knows. The one Big thing is that the Merx chart dosent give HT height, this could affect your drop, especially on the slopping. I would find out what they are on both frames and post it. Good luck!

As loctite points out, the classic 56 looks pretty close, as far as it goes, and maybe the 51 sloping. As he also points out, we don't know the head tube height on the Mercx (or the Trek) and we don't know the head tube angle on the Mercx. For those reasons, it's a bit hard to say what relatively slack seat tube angle will do. As per your reach, it will effectively shorten up the top tube a bit, assuming that you set your saddle position in the same way, relative to the same crank and pedals, and independent of the front end of the bike. This suggests that you'll probably want a longer stem on the Mercx sloping, by a cm or so, relative to the Trek, but I won't venture to guess the particulars as there's just too much I don't know here.

As for handling, others will have better informed opinions as to your best set up, especially if they can see you on the bike.

Dave
10-31-2005, 09:42 AM
The 58cm trek is only a 54,5cm frame, measured c-c. Seems awfully small for a rider with a 91cm inseam. With this inseam your saddle height would normally be around 80-81cm. Typically, center to center frame size is 20-21cm less than saddle height.

To compare the horizontal fit of the bike, compare the frame reach (TT length minus setback). The 58cm Trek has a 41.2cm reach and the 56cm Merckx has a shorter 40.4cm reach. The 51cm sloping frame has an even shorter reach of only 39.1cm, due to the slack STA.

You should also try to get a head tube length measurement, including the headset, for both frames. It's a bummer to get what you feel is the perfect TT length and find that you need an ugly stem and spacer combo, because the head tube is too short.

jerk
10-31-2005, 10:07 AM
a 56 will be fine. the headtube is almost the same length. by the time you get your saddle setback dialed, the bikes are virtually the same size.

jerk

loctite
11-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Yeah. What Loctite said.

Loctite, what's with the saying under your avatar? I'm curious.

I see your in NC, i am also from NC, but now live in Vermont. I owned a small family bike shop in Morganton. Anyway, when i was racing George used to still show up at some local races. About 5 years ago he had a picture on his website of him in a crit, i was on his wheel (it was like in the first 5 laps or so ;) ). SO i became known for about a year localy as "that guy on Hincapes wheel". Kinda stupid i know, but we have to hang on to any small bit of glory we had right :rolleyes:
Thanks

ergott
11-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I see your in NC, i am also from NC, but now live in Vermont. I owned a small family bike shop in Morganton. Anyway, when i was racing George used to still show up at some local races. About 5 years ago he had a picture on his website of him in a crit, i was on his wheel (it was like in the first 5 laps or so ;) ). SO i became known for about a year localy as "that guy on Hincapes wheel". Kinda stupid i know, but we have to hang on to any small bit of glory we had right :rolleyes:
Thanks

Geeze, how many here can say that!
:beer:

(not me)

loctite
11-01-2005, 07:06 AM
:beer:

(not me)

Its no big deal really, like i said it was in the first 5 laps or so, i busted my arse to get up there, and ended up getting droped halfway through the race, it was worth it though! :D

Dr. Doofus
11-01-2005, 01:19 PM
when I got back on the bike in 2002 (after four years off) I got the chance to ride with GH and some others in these parts

a GH ride had two speeds: 18 and 35+

obviously, I wasn't around much for the fast bits

Ti Designs
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM

More than you would think. Let's say you're a cat 2, the races lump pros, 1's and 2's together. You know that up at the front some pro is gonna nail the gas and string things out - nothing you can do about that. So, you can hang on the wheel of some other local cat 2 and wait for the gap to open so you can get launched off the back, or you can claw your way onto a wheel you know will keep you in.

Not many people can say that there was a guy with a camera just at the right time...

loctite
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
More than you would think. Let's say you're a cat 2, the races lump pros, 1's and 2's together. You know that up at the front some pro is gonna nail the gas and string things out - nothing you can do about that. So, you can hang on the wheel of some other local cat 2 and wait for the gap to open so you can get launched off the back, or you can claw your way onto a wheel you know will keep you in.

Not many people can say that there was a guy with a camera just at the right time...

Hey...that sounds familiar!! ;)