PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale CAAD4 vs CAAD10?

kenw
01-12-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm wondering what the extra 6 CAADs will do for me?
I have been riding a CAAD4 for many years, and have just
come across a CAAD10 frameset. Can I expect much improvement
in performance, or just a lightening of my wallet? Thanks.

ultraman6970
01-12-2013, 01:21 PM
With the 10 you get integrated headset? Check out geometry but looks like is the samething.

TAW
01-12-2013, 01:23 PM
I would say that from year to year, there are not any huge improvements in frames. Each year in the bike industry brings some new "improvements." Some are improvements, and some are gimmicks. The genuine improvements, though marginal, stay around, and those marginal differences from year to year eventually add up. All that to say that I think you would notice a difference between the 4 and the 10.

Ralph
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
As I recall......(I've got a CAAD 5 I ride a lot....same as yours except integrated headset), the 4 had the curved seat stays of the newer frames. Traditional headset....probably a plus (to me anyway). Aluminum steerer.....IMHO a plus, CF fork like the newer ones. Same geometry, etc. I think anything above the 3 is fine. The CAAD 3 was fine also, it was just so stiff....a sprinters frame. I have a friend, about 160 lbs, with at least 50,000 miles on a 54 CM Caad 4, no cracks or age issues anywhere. They were way over built for his weight.

There were, of course, small improvements in rideability as each new model came along. But not sure you would notice it. I do run 700X25's on my CAAD 5 Cannondale, so I think it rides fine.

mike p
01-12-2013, 05:38 PM
I may be in the minority but I think you'd feel a substantial difference. Everything from tube shapes to method of manufacture changed during that time. I think the main difference that you would feel is a more compliant ride. Riding a century on a caad 7-10 no problem, earlier caads were a harsher ride. If you go for it let us know what you think.

Mike

bluemax
01-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I really don't notice much performance difference between a CAAD8 and a CAAD4, and doubt I could tell a CAAD8 from a CAAD9 without a catalog. The DT got bigger and the tubing is thinner on the later CAADs which maybe saves some (negligible) weight. The best thing about the CAAD5 and newer frames is the bigger head tube for more fork options, but I miss the DT shifter bosses. I'm looking for a CAAD9 just because it's the last of the US made frames, not because I expect it to perform noticeably better than the 10(?) Cannondales I already have.

h2oxtc
01-27-2013, 11:36 AM
My 2 cents ... I have both Caad 5 and Caad 8 Optimo. Nothing "wrong" with the 5, it's a Cannondale after all, but I'll ride the Caad 8 anyday over the 5.

MIN
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Lighter
Frame possibly less durable due to thinner walls
More vibration reduction
Optmized geometry over the years
Fork stiffer and lighter than before

That said, the soda-can thickness of CAAD10s have always been a turnoff for practical reasons (denting, etc). Ride is muted on road vibrations relative to old CAADs but most carbon frames seem superior in this regard.

rain dogs
01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
My 2 cents ... I have both Caad 5 and Caad 8 Optimo. Nothing "wrong" with the 5, it's a Cannondale after all, but I'll ride the Caad 8 anyday over the 5.

Completely agree. I had a 5 and now I have an 8. The 8 is a more comfortable ride... not like carbon, but your fillings only rattle... they don't fall out.

Other things I like better...

-lighter (but man are they easy to dent... expect dents....
-much better dropout/hanger construction
-integrated headset (comparing to your 4... 5's had that)
-long/low geometry. My 56 has a 52 seattube and shorter heattube... where my 5 was almost square. You may like this... or not.

With all that said, my CAAD8 frame cost $200. The improvements don't have a set value.... but I wouldn't upgrade for $800. BTW. CAAD9 was the pinnacle, 10's IMHO aren't as nice (but the performance is the same.)

Bruce K
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
CAAD10's are BB30 (at least mine is)

To me, it feels very smooth and efficient from a pedaling standpoint (at least compared to my Meivici or Specialized Transition)

BK

ultraman6970
01-27-2013, 01:36 PM

http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2009_09_10/upTo11.jpg

rain dogs
01-27-2013, 06:50 PM
CAAD10's are BB30 (at least mine is)

To me, it feels very smooth and efficient from a pedaling standpoint (at least compared to my Meivici or Specialized Transition)

BK

They've had BB30 since something like CAAD5.... it's just they were few and far between, but you could get them. It's just now BB30 CAAD10's are much more common. But they've had BB30 versions available in every CAAD going waaay baack.

false_Aest
01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
-lighter (but man are they easy to dent... expect dents....

metal bikes dent. **** happens

but compared to 2 straight gauge steel frames I've dented my CAAD9 holds up wonderfully . . . no dents after 15k miles and i prefer to beat the snot out of my bikes.

Muffin Man
01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
I just got a CAAD 10, and this thing is amazing. Maybe all the Cannondale marketing is actually true, but this thing is actually more comfortable to ride than my carbon KHS Flite 900. None of the teeth rattling out that I was guaranteed to have because the frame is alu.

rain dogs
01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
metal bikes dent. **** happens

but compared to 2 straight gauge steel frames I've dented my CAAD9 holds up wonderfully . . . no dents after 15k miles and i prefer to beat the snot out of my bikes.

I understand that ***** happens, but I'm giving honest feedback as a multiple CAAD owner. Are you suggesting that a CAAD9 is more resistant to dents than a straight gauge steel bike?

There seems to be a noticeable difference between the wall thickness on the top tube of my CAAD5 and my CAAD8. If your bars swing around and whack the top tube on the CAAD8.... you will have a dent.... even EL tubing won't dent that easily.

I have three small dents in my top tube (one from hooked bars swinging around while we were all standing around with a group chatting on a flat repair), one from the bike rolling back and tapping the edge of the fridge door, and one from who knows what? And you know ... I don't beat the hell out of my bikes. I treat them with respect because they have my face/spine in their hands when I'm descending mountain passes. I ride them hard... but I don't kick em to the curb either.

spaced_ghost
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
the CAAD 9's and 10's i've ridden were tooth-rattling, indeed, but they were so fast I didn't care.