PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Installed One of the New Campy Triple FD Yet?

Ralph
01-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Getting a new frame soon that will use a braze on FD, so will need a new 10's Campy Triple FD. Can use the older design Comp Triple OK, or one of the new design ones. The new ones claim to be improved designs specifically for either 30-39-50 or 30-39-52. I change gears around a lot, so could probably make up whatever it takes. Wonder if they will work with a 30-42-52 or 30-42-53? Or 28-39-52? Or 28-39-50, etc?
Just looking at the new designes, it looks like they would lift the chain better for the upshifts. But the grooves may be specific only for the exact chainrings combinations of the new triples. Anyone installed one yet?

mistermo
01-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Haven't tried a new one yet, but am interested. The G3 Campy Centaur 10s levers don't throw enough cable to use older Campy front derailleurs. If you go Campy Comp with, at least the Centaur 10s, my experience is that it doesn't work. I found someone who made it work with an IRD Alpina triple front, but I haven't personally tried. But... the NEW, as in 2013, Campy triple front mech's may have been designed to eliminate the problem I speak of. I'm interested and intend to give it a whirl. I think the chainring issue is moot, if the shifters don't work. I swap chainrings all the time and don't have issues with front derailleurs (generally speaking).

Ralph
01-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Haven't tried a new one yet, but am interested. The G3 Campy Centaur 10s levers don't throw enough cable to use older Campy front derailleurs. If you go Campy Comp with, at least the Centaur 10s, my experience is that it doesn't work. I found someone who made it work with an IRD Alpina triple front, but I haven't personally tried. But... the NEW, as in 2013, Campy triple front mech's may have been designed to eliminate the problem I speak of. I'm interested and intend to give it a whirl. I think the chainring issue is moot, if the shifters don't work. I swap chainrings all the time and don't have issues with front derailleurs (generally speaking).

I have Power Shift Centaur Shifters on one of my bikes. They will shift a Campy triple. I use the 10's Record mid 2000's 10's FD. Which is same as Comp. You just gotta make sure the FD cable is tight enough to make the shift in 3 clicks. Also, I want to make all the shifts in 3 clicks each, so where you position the cage over the small ring determines where it winds up over big ring. Also think it takes the 10's ring, which is a little closer to middle ring. Have had some problems like you describe with a 9/10 TA Vento ring. Also have new style Centaur Ultra Shift Shifters on another bike. It handles the shifts also and I think is a little easier to set up. Still need tight FD cable. Need adjustable cable stops to make this work well. I tighten the cable up to point it's moving the cage off the stop.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Getting a new frame soon that will use a braze on FD, so will need a new 10's Campy Triple FD. Can use the older design Comp Triple OK, or one of the new design ones. The new ones claim to be improved designs specifically for either 30-39-50 or 30-39-52. I change gears around a lot, so could probably make up whatever it takes. Wonder if they will work with a 30-42-52 or 30-42-53? Or 28-39-52? Or 28-39-50, etc?
Just looking at the new designes, it looks like they would lift the chain better for the upshifts. But the grooves may be specific only for the exact chainrings combinations of the new triples. Anyone installed one yet?

Optimized for 50/39/30 or 52/39/30. Not a real deep cage like 6703 and their 52/39 so I don't think it will hit the 42 on a 52(3)/42..Haven't tried it(just installed a 2013 Centaur triple group on a Gunnar) but it looks like it would be OK.

Dave
01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
One of the first things that I checked, late in '08, was the amount of cable pull from an early model ultrashift lever. I measured enough to operate a triple FD (about .65 inch), but there are only 6 clicks.

Ralph
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
One of the first things that I checked, late in '08, was the amount of cable pull from an early model ultrashift lever. I measured enough to operate a triple FD (about .65 inch), but there are only 6 clicks.

I'm using a 10's Record Triple FD with Record Triple Crank OK now with new style 10's Centaur (2010 model) Ultrashift. With FD cable tight, 3 clicks for each shift.

Also have a Centaur 10's Powershift. Believe it will also work OK. 3 clicks for each FD upshift. Can't have any slack in FD cable though.