PDA

View Full Version : Question - Chipped Tooth

bikerboy337
01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Not in my mouth... on my Campagnolo 10s cassette.

Picked up a centaur 10s cassette, put about 500 miles on it so far, was cleaning it and noticed the 19t cog has a tooth that is 80% gone, all that left is a sharp edge, my powerful quads must have sheared the metal, I hope no one behind me was hurt when I did this :banana:

doesn't seem to affect anything, but am i risking premature wear or damage by riding on it? Its the 19t, so decent bit of chain wrap and engagement...

Any thoughts would be great...

bargainguy
01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
80% gone means probably not a ramped gear or "shark tooth" profile to aid shifting.

I'd replace it asap to prevent premature wear on your chain and eventually chainrings.

But if you use the 19 sparingly and feel cheap, well, different story. Some folks replace the chain & cassette every year anyway just to avoid such situaions.

rice rocket
01-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Cheap fix?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPY-CAMPAGNOLO-RECORD-10-SPEED-COGS-17-19-T-FROM-11-23-AND-13-29-CASSETTES-/251203365605?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7ce32ae5

oldpotatoe
01-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Not in my mouth... on my Campagnolo 10s cassette.

Picked up a centaur 10s cassette, put about 500 miles on it so far, was cleaning it and noticed the 19t cog has a tooth that is 80% gone, all that left is a sharp edge, my powerful quads must have sheared the metal, I hope no one behind me was hurt when I did this :banana:

doesn't seem to affect anything, but am i risking premature wear or damage by riding on it? Its the 19t, so decent bit of chain wrap and engagement...

Any thoughts would be great...

File it down so it's smooth..one tooth on a 19t cog isn't going to have any effect on your chain. Look at some of the other 'shaped' teeth..yep, they aren't that gone but it really won't hurt anything.