PDA

View Full Version : riding in hawaii?

vqdriver
01-10-2013, 06:31 PM
taking the family to oahu in february and i wanted to sneak a ride in at some point. most likely i'll be renting cuz it's not worth the headache to take my own bike with me for a single day's use.

any route recommendations? road or mountain, doesn't really matter to me, but no view is worth dealing with tourist traffic so something off the main roads or a mtb trail would be ideal. either way, i'd also love a recommendation on rental shops on the island.

tia

maunahaole
01-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Where are you going to stay? That determines a lot. What size bike do you ride? I may have one for you to borrow if you are a tall one. (rental is expensive)

Hit me up when you get here. I'll go for a spin with you so you don't get lost.

vqdriver
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
i ride a 54 so that may be a stretch, but thanks. that's very generous.
we're staying at the aulani.

maunahaole
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I cant help you with a 54.

Aulani is on the west side. Great spot for the fam, as it is very contained and have lots to keep you occupied. Weather tends to be sunnier and drier than other parts of the island. Expensive, though.

Riding on the west side is very limited and not particularly bike friendly. If you can get a hold of a mountain bike, maybe try riding Kaena Point, which is at the top end of the west side. dirt road and 4wd only.I have never done this but it is on the list - it is an out and back to Mokuleia on the north shore and should have some stunning views. If you want to come into town we can ride out from town towards the windward side.

bluesea
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm sure mh would probably guide you up Tantalus, the most enjoyable road climb through a tropical forest in Honolulu. Most riders I've met have been happy renting from the Specialized dealer, The Bike Shop on So. King st, fairly near the approaches to Waikiki.

Its less tourist than local traffic these days, but yeah it can be hectic.

vqdriver
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
either of you guys mtb? i'm googling the trails on the island and i don't think i can miss that.

maunahaole
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure that anyone wants to go as slow as I would climb tantalus.

maunahaole
01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
I do not. I see a lot of folks that do the Waahila downhill, as that is close to where I live. I think that a lot of folks come here and don't think of experiencing the mountains and the rainforest. It's worth going up the hill and getting muddy.

bluesea
01-11-2013, 05:32 AM
I MTB-ed much in the 90's but sold my bought-and-hardly-used MTB last year.