PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trip to Montreal - Looking for Ideas

bikerboy337
01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
So the wife and I are celebrating out 10th anniversary this year, and have decided to take 5 or 6 days off, away from our 2 and 5 year olds and get away... we originally were thinking of heaing to napa, but the thought of taking the kids on a plane to my parents in CA was struck down after our recent x-mas travels, so my parents are coming here and we want to drive someplace nice instead...

we're thinking of heading to Quebec, and likely Montreal... likely an August trip, maybe late July, so good weather.

That being said... anyone have any good advice for places to stay, bike tours that may be offered, fun things to see?

I've been to Montreal a few times, but for bachelor parties and I dont think the things I did there will appeal to my wife...

deechee
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
There are definitely threads about Montreal in the forum if you do a search. July/August is a great time as the festivals are in full swing, and you will have a number of choices. Tourism Mtl (http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/), Local paper (http://cultmontreal.com/), Velo Quebec (http://www.velo.qc.ca/en/Home)

In terms of relaxation, I've heard great things about Spa Eastman (http://www.spa-eastman.com/fr/eastman/). Great spa and amazing food. Great bike trails nearby as well as downhill mtb if you're interested. If you're into arts & crafts, this will be running (http://www.circuitdesarts.com/en/index.html) at the same time, where you can visit local artisans & their work.

Ken Robb
01-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Our very own "Fixed" has been spending time in Montreal since his son enrolled at McGill U. If he doesn't chime in soon maybe you should send him a P-M or e-mail.

If you haven't been there yet The Finger Lakes District of NY is really nice with lots to do and little to no crowding even in Summer. Les and I love Cannandaigua and The Oliver Phelps Inn.

MattTuck
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.routeverte.com/rv/index2010_e.php

phcollard
01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
July is definitely the best month to visit Montreal. The weather is fantastic, the jazz festival is on full spin and the skirts are very short.

There are a lot of places to stay according to your style and budget. Do you like boutique hotels? Bed and breakfast? Luxury? I can give you a few hints and addresses.

As for bike tours I would have to look if that's something that's being offered around here. That being said I can probably take you out for a spin in the city. Really we can do a nice ride right in the middle of it, that is if you can cope with a cyclist of my level (which is... quite slow). You'll have to explain me why your avatar is my Wallonia flag (I am from Liège originally) :)

PM me if you want, we can talk.

summilux
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Biking? The ride up Mont Royal is a good climb. Otherwise Bixi bikes are everywhere in the downtown area and there are lots of urban bike paths. On the whole, cars are quite tolerant of cyclists.

Fine but informal dining: My favorite is Kitchen Galerie by the Jean Talon market. It's run by three (or four) guys who are really passionate about cooking. Small place so reserve.

Touristy: Notre Dame Cathedral is a great place to visit. The old port is pretty and the plaza there is full of street performers throughout the summer

Art. The permanent collection at the museum is free and good.

Good place to stroll: St-Laurent and St-Denis bounded by Sherbrooke to the South and Laurier to the North. Cool fashion stores, great restaurants, patios and bars. Some nice bike stores on St Laurent.

Beer: Benelux on Sherbrooke. About a dozen beers, all brewed on site.

Food that is really good in Montreal: Smoked meat (Schwartz's, Lesters or Smoked Meat Pete's), Macaron, a sweet multi-layered confection (Studio J), poutine (french fries, cheese curds, and gravy), wood-fired bagels (Fairmont or St-Viateur), BBQ chicken (Romados ).

One nice thing, many Montreal restaurants allow you to bring your own wine

bikerboy337
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks all so far... we're just getting started to think about this... so i'll start to look at a few of the links and nail down some ideas.... Thanks again so far!

You'll have to explain me why your avatar is my Wallonia flag (I am from Liège originally) :)

PM me if you want, we can talk.

I've use the wallonia flag as I used to live there as a child... my father was in the US Air Force and we were stationed at SHAPE. We lived in Casteau in a huge farmhouse, in the farm fields and beautiful country roads... i still remember long bike rides on the roads around Casteau as a kid with my mom and brothers...and the smell of cow fields all around us :eek:... was a great time to be there (mid 80s') and a great age (2-5th grades)... UNFORTUNATELY>>> i was too young to enjoy trips to Chimay... my brother was in high school at the time and has many stories of skipping school, heading out and drinking Chimay...

also... i'd love to meet up... i'm pretty sure i'll be bringing a bike (my wife doesn't ride) and would like to get at least a few rides in... we'll see though... its my 10th anniversary and she might not want me biking the whole time ;)

Fixed
01-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I am going back for the jazz fest this summer soon as I get out yoga teacher training we have an apartment near Concordia a ten minute walk to McGill wonderful food , fresh produce better than we get in Florida . I found one the best vegan restaurants I have ever been to a block from the apartment ,friendly people I made many friends at Ha yoga it is a block from the apartment too .and you have to walk up mt.royal
Old montreal is awesome the most beautiful church I have ever seen ,then there is china town .. Montreal In the summer great food super shopping temps perfect for walks with flowers blooming everywhere ..and everyone rides a bike
Cheers
Help that helps :)

oldguy00
01-10-2013, 03:27 PM
You have nice parents!!!!

We have 2 & 5 year olds as well. Haven't been able to have a getaway yet.

giverdada
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
SOOOOO much awesomeness about montreal. it's crazy and the roads are terrible in the city, but get out of it (not too hard) and it really opens up to some gorgeous country. for gorgeous people, the city is where it's at, along with beer and cheese (holy woah) and all that rich goodness.

i'm sure many other replies will tell you about the things i don't know about montreal or nearby, but i didn't see anyone mention bromont or lac brome (sp?). i think it's bromont where a lot of nationals team members train, it has a ski hill that is great for DH mountain biking in the summer, but also paved hills as far as the eye can see, the route verte which is a paved rail trail as far as the eye can see (literally), and..wait for it..the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games VELODROME!!! no joke. it still says 1996 Atlanta on it! amazing. rumbles like thunder and you can hear it before you can see it. anyway, i think you can sign up for track time or a track course or whatever, and that's just awesome. good food all around there too, though expensive as it's resort-ish.

hope your stay is an awesome one.

thwart
01-10-2013, 06:46 PM
May want to mix in a couple day trip to Quebec City... one of my favorite places on the continent.

You can catch the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal (June 28-July 7), and then head over to the Festival d'été de Québec (July 4-July 14), which is an eclectic mix of all sorts of music.

ultraman6970
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Hot chicks and good Chinese food up there.

echelon_john
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Belle & Sebastian on July 5th...

cdn_bacon
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Old MOntreal
Trois Brassieres ( brew pub) and a Canadiens game if you can get a ticket.

I'm from Toronto, but the vibe in old montreal when a game is on is amazing

oh and do yourself a favour before venturing out.

L'Académie Restaurant

www.lacademie.ca/

on St. Denis. go to the liquor store next door, purchase a bottle or two and be seated in the restaurant with them. No corking fee last I remember. Student executive chefs and the food is to (without being over dramatic) die for.

tv_vt
01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
The Botanical Garden in Montreal is also world class.

Don't forget July 1st is Canada Day, Independence Day for them. We woke up one Saturday morning there a few years ago and wondered why there was a parade going on.

Great city. Don't forget that the sun sets at around 9:30 to 10:00 in late June, too. I am so ready for some long sunny evenings. The start of summer is a blissful part of the year up north.

djg21
01-11-2013, 05:55 PM
The Botanical Garden in Montreal is also world class.

Don't forget July 1st is Canada Day, Independence Day for them. We woke up one Saturday morning there a few years ago and wondered why there was a parade going on.

Great city. Don't forget that the sun sets at around 9:30 to 10:00 in late June, too. I am so ready for some long sunny evenings. The start of summer is a blissful part of the year up north.

Good recommendation. And as it is in what used to be the Olympic Velodrome. It's fitting.

There is also the "ballet" on Ste. Catherine's Street. Leave the kids at the hotel and bring a lot of $1 bills. ;)