PDA

View Full Version : Really warm shoe covers?

FastforaSlowGuy
01-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I live near the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border, so it should come as no surprise that winter riding is a little nippy. I've been using neoprene shoe covers from Descente for the past three years, and they're on their last legs. As I search for new kit, I'm curious if there is better technology out there. Whether hiking, running or biking, my feet are always the first thing to get cold, and I think it's getting worse as I get older. Yes, I've had my shoes fitted to me, and it's been the same whether I wear pairs that fit closer and looser. I think my circulation is a little crummy.

My usual system in cold (sub 40) weather has been to don wool socks, tape a heat pack to the top of my shoes, then slip on the heavy covers. After a few hours today in mid-30s weather, my toes were frozen.

Any thoughts on materials other than neoprene for the truly cold days? I've seen windstopper fabrics, fleece, etc, but I have no experience with them and shoe covers are shockingly expensive so I want to be somewhat confident before I buy.

pdmtong
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
why not try the mavic shoe covers being blown out on realcyclist for $30 - they have a pouch built in for a heat pak

http://www.realcyclist.com/mavic-thermo-shoe-cover

BTW my brothe moved from her to durham...he suffers in the winter while I BBQ outside in shorts.

Louis
01-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Bite the bullet and get some winter bike shoes. Your feet will thank you.

merlincustom1
01-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Gore Tex Thermo.

ergott
01-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Sidi makes a battery heated foot bed.

BryanE
01-10-2013, 05:12 AM
I finally sprung for these.
Your feet will say thank you if you do.

rnhood
01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
You just need a windstopper fabric and wool sock (which you already use). Boure makes a nice shoe cover (http://www.boure.com/8426.html) and it works well.

Boots are better if you need weather protection but for only cold weather riding, skip the boots and wear the covers. Lighter and virtually just as effective.

If you need sub 20 degree gear, then add toe warmers.

christian
01-10-2013, 06:46 AM
You just need a windstopper fabric and wool sock (which you already use).

If you need sub 20 degree gear, then add toe warmers.

Sorry, I just don't think this is realistic. I run pretty "hot" and can comfortably wear a baselayer, LS jersey, and vest into the 20s, but the combination of windstopper (Sugoi or PI booties), a road shoe (Sidi Genius) and a Swiftwick wool sock is insufficient for 2-3 hours of Z2/Z3 riding in sub-freezing weather - the pedals are just too much of a heat sink and really make you freeze. I can make 3 hours with that combination and a set of toe warmers down to about 25. Below that, you really need winter boots.

If you ride frequently in the winter, winter boots are a smart purchase. I'm going to get a pair this winter.

BumbleBeeDave
01-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Bite the bullet and get some winter bike shoes. Your feet will thank you.

I'm west of you and I've never regretted my purchase of both road and MTB versions of the Northwave winter shoes. This is also late enough in the winter season that you are going to start seeing some sales.

There was also a rather extensive thread on this same subject some weeks ago . . . search for "winter" in thread names and you should find it.

BBD

Nooch
01-10-2013, 07:38 AM
this is probably the twentieth time I've posted these, but it's because I find them that damn good.

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier. As warm as my Lake winter boots, a fraction of the price, and a fraction of the weight. I find, especially in the cold, the added weight of the lake boots keeps my legs from wanting to turn the pedals over. These keep me comfortable into the low twenties -- only in the teens will I reach for the Lake boots.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/2.-productCode-14381105.html#021

93legendti
01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
this is probably the twentieth time I've posted these, but it's because I find them that damn good.

Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier. As warm as my Lake winter boots, a fraction of the price, and a fraction of the weight. I find, especially in the cold, the added weight of the lake boots keeps my legs from wanting to turn the pedals over. These keep me comfortable into the low twenties -- only in the teens will I reach for the Lake boots.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/2.-productCode-14381105.html#021

I've got these booties. They go on the easiest of any bootie I have owned. Pretty warm as well.

wasfast
01-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Booties alone will not be the answer below freezing. Focusing on just the item though, the Gore Race Power Thermo is an excellent choice.

Insulation works by trapping warm air and thus has to be near the heat source to do so. Having the insulation on the outside of the shoe, several layers away from the foot is not that.

Prewarm your shoes before you ride. I leave my shoes on the heat ducts all winter long. Putting on a cold shoe sucks the "warm" out of your feet before you even get started.

Have a shoe at least a size larger for winter. Tight shoes will constrict blood flow which means colder feet.

Use the same 3 layer approach as all other cycling clothing. Thin wicking sock next to the skin, wool sock for insulation, wind and or water blocking on the outside of the shoe.

All those things above, and also winter shoes, work with a fixed supply side (your body temperature). At some temperature, your loss is greater than the supply side and you get cold feet. The only solution is increasing the supply side with heat generating options.

Chemical packs work to some extent, and for some limited time only if they stay dry. Once they get wet, zero function.

Heat sources like Hot-tronic and others are the kill it dead solution but not without some issues like cost, batteries and wires.

http://cozywinters.com/hotronic/

Cozy winters also offers other battery solutions for gloves etc

merckx
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
gore tex thermo.

+1

ultraman6970
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Always you can get or maybe your wife or kids have them... large wool socks, cut them to fit the cleats then you put your old stuff over it, done :D

veggieburger
01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Always you can get or maybe your wife or kids have them... large wool socks, cut them to fit the cleats then you put your old stuff over it, done :D

We do this up in Canda-duh sometimes. You can get a three pack of wool socks from the local hardware store for $12. Slice a wee hole where the cleat needs to poke through, and double up if it's really cold. Heat pack or wind blocker goes between layers on super cold days. Yeah, it looks a little goofy, but it's cheap and makes you feel kinda lumberjacky. :cool:

Bkat
01-10-2013, 08:23 AM
My feet (and hands) go numb very easily, but I've found the combo of wool socks, DeFeet slipstreams over my shoes, with my Sidi shoe covers over that, keeps me toes from falling off. So far, I've stayed warm down to the 20s with windchill in the teens.

Mikej
01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
why not try the mavic shoe covers being blown out on realcyclist for $30 - they have a pouch built in for a heat pak

http://www.realcyclist.com/mavic-thermo-shoe-cover

BTW my brothe moved from her to durham...he suffers in the winter while I BBQ outside in shorts.

Broke my zipper on the first try on the Mavics. I use zip lock bags over my socks + the bootie.

ultraman6970
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Lived in an area where the weather is similar to nova scotia and we did weird stuff as well, but eventhought was cold the nice was that was quite dry because of the wind. Darn humidity sucks in cold weather, anybody has been in miami or disney when they have those freezen to death 30 dregrees nights? jezz...

We do this up in Canda-duh sometimes. You can get a three pack of wool socks from the local hardware store for $12. Slice a wee hole where the cleat needs to poke through, and double up if it's really cold. Heat pack or wind blocker goes between layers on super cold days. Yeah, it looks a little goofy, but it's cheap and makes you feel kinda lumberjacky. :cool:

poff
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Assos Fugubootie7 work great, but are very expensive :eek:

choke
01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
makes you feel kinda lumberjacky. :cool:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo :)

jbal3242
01-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Booties alone will not be the answer below freezing. Focusing on just the item though, the Gore Race Power Thermo is an excellent choice.

Been using the Gore Thermo so far this winter with DeFeet wool-e-ator socks and keeps toasty in 30's temps for up to 2 hours. After 2 hours or in temps below 30 start to lose the toes and even sooner depending on wind chill and speed.
Agreed on careful to not overtighten shoes to allow circulation flow and a size bigger always helps.

fatallightning
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
What size foot are you? I may have something.

GRAVELBIKE
01-11-2013, 01:45 PM
My feet (and hands) go numb very easily, but I've found the combo of wool socks, DeFeet slipstreams over my shoes, with my Sidi shoe covers over that, keeps me toes from falling off. So far, I've stayed warm down to the 20s with windchill in the teens.

What shoes are you using?

I'm tempted to add some DeFeet oversocks under my Northwave booties, but I use MTB shoes (Sidi Dominators).