PDA

View Full Version : achilles tendon pain

Mikej
01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
What would be the thing to do to correct AT pain from cycling?

FlashUNC
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Stretch. See a doctor. Maybe get checked out for fit at a shop?

LouDeeter
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Lower your saddle, put a wedge in the heel of the shoe with the problem to shorten the stretch. I wouldn't stretch too much without first having a doctor evaluate it if it is painful. If it is stinging, you may have torn it. Also, what caused this to flare up? Was it recent hammerfest? Long ride after a long layoff? It isn't normal to have traumatic damage to the achilles from cycling, certainly not as common as running or jumping sports.

bcm119
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I've had achilles flares ups. Initially mine was caused by cleat position-- too far forward. I have long feet, which puts extra stress on the achilles. Try moving your cleat back a few mm. It can also be the angle of the footbed. I've adjusted mine through trial and error with those thin wedges that shim the cleat and angle the shoe one way or another from the cleat. Saddle height can also cause it, usually lowering the saddle a few mm will help. For treating acute flare ups try ibuprofen and massaging the lower calf where it attaches to the tendon. Stretching can work but do it gently so you don't worsen the condition. In my experience time off the bike hasn't been necessary.

Mikej
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Mostly it has been sore for several months. My cleats are all the way back, but I may have my saddle up too high. I'll try lowering it a bit, I did raise it to deal with some knee pain.

LouDeeter
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Your age, whether you do or did other sports, have you had previous AT injuries, are all things that would help to better understand.

I'm over 60, have participated in sports most of my life, have had pulled AT injuries before, and suffer from mild pain in my lower calf/AT most of the time. It is most notable when walking up stairs early in the morning or late at night. I've found that in the morning, a slow and easy bike ride helps, also hot baths, and light stretching. In the evening, two inches of a good single malt scotch or a couple of glasses of a good Cabernet do the trick.

bargainguy
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Just curious - are you ankling? I hardly ever hear about this technique anymore, but if you're old-school and might be doing it....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386207-ankle-pain-and-cycling/

Ahneida Ride
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
stay off the antibiotic Cipro and it's derivatives

Ken Robb
01-09-2013, 05:37 PM
In the evening, two inches of a good single malt scotch or a couple of glasses of a good Cabernet do the trick.

Some nights I just pretend to be in pain so I can enjoy Lou's prescribed treatment. The older I get the less pretending is required. :banana:

professerr
01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Riding in cold weather will make my Achilles tendon flare up -- it sort of hangs out there exposed to the wind. So if it is cold at all, I put on socks with thick tops, stirrup style tights that come down low, and appropriate booties when needed.

Also, I climb more in the saddle than I might otherwise.

And sometimes I'll pop an Ibuprofen post-ride if it feels tender. Just one though, because I figure if it takes more than that, I should just ride a bit less for a while.