PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ebay Buyer in Taiwan

jlwdm
01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a Stowa Marine Original 2012 Special Edition watch for sale on Ebay. It is brand new and never even tried on. I bought a Dornblueth 99.1 that arrived first and I fell in love with it.

I am not a frequent Ebay Seller. I limited my sales to the US and now I have a member asking about shipping to Taiwan. 100% positive rating for 128 items and member since 1999 but profile shows US as location.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

christian
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
No.

jlwdm
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Yea, I kind of knew that. I got the question 5 days ago and have not responded.

Jeff

ultraman6970
The problem you might have is that you might not be able to track the f... item all the way to taiwan. Never sold something to taiwan but you at least japan you can track it, sold something cant remember to were in asia and the item got lost.

One option is for you to put a disclaimer because at least you will be able to track the item till the last day in the US, after that you might not so a disclaimer or something mentioning that you are not responsible if the item get lost after left the US could save you in case something happens.

Sincerely too much of a risk, s/a and some asian countries are a real PITA because items get lost in their own customs offices.

If the guy really wants it and he is willing to pay you can send UPS or Fedex, they are obligated to scan and track the items and that might save you because you will have probe of delivery, with USPS you might not.

Dave B
No.

My gut reaction too, but if the buyer pays the money then there are methods to ship flat rate all over the world. A watch isn't that big.

christian
01-09-2013, 10:58 AM
My gut reaction too, but if the buyer pays the money then there are methods to ship flat rate all over the world. A watch isn't that big.If the buyer pays via paypal and claims they didn't receive it...

shovelhd
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't even ship to Canada anymore. Not worth it.

pistolpete
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
If the buyer pays via paypal and claims they didn't receive it...

This - they usually side with the buyer and the reprocussions could be bad. Have heard some horror stories.

phcollard
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I would say do it if you can ship fully tracked, insured and signed for. Taiwan is not Nigeria. Plenty of serious and wealthy buyers there.

Research shipping costs that make you feel safe - did I mention tracking? - and communicate them to the buyer. If he's willing to pay no problem.

I have once shipped a Leica camera to Taiwan. It was EMS with full tracking and insurance and it was $300 to ship. The buyer was happy to pay, and he received his camera in 3 business days.

Good luck filing a claim with Paypal as a buyer if the tracking number is recorded in the Paypal transaction details and shows the item as received and signed for.

phcollard
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't even ship to Canada anymore. Not worth it.

Why :confused:

Louis
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
If the buyer pays via paypal and claims they didn't receive it...

That's hardly a problem limited to Taiwan.

Stan Lee
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I ship eBay stuff overseas all the time and have never had an issue, it certainly drives the price of the item up if you are willing to do so. I let the feedback speak for itself and I've never been burned.

phcollard
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
... it certainly drives the price of the item up if you are willing to do so.

Exactly. Everytime I have an auction with shipping worldwide it ends up at min. 30% more than if I had chosen USA/Canada only.

In 300+ eBay sales I only lost one item during shipping, and it was to New York.

Stan Lee
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I've had about the same # of sales and at least 75+ of those have shipped overseas USPS and they've never lost an item. I've had way more trouble with buyers within the US.

slidey
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
+1

i would say do it if you can ship fully tracked, insured and signed for. Taiwan is not nigeria. Plenty of serious and wealthy buyers there.

Research shipping costs that make you feel safe - did i mention tracking? - and communicate them to the buyer. If he's willing to pay no problem.

yngpunk
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
If the guy really wants it and he is willing to pay you can send UPS or Fedex, they are obligated to scan and track the items and that might save you because you will have probe of delivery, with USPS you might not.

Good suggestion here to use one of the courier services rather than USPS, since with the courier servies, the items remains in their posession until delivery, whereas, USPS sends it off to the destination country, then it's the responsibility of the destination country postal service to make the last mile delivery. Might want to also look at DHL which also does a lot of global deliveries, but not much in the US.

ctcyclistbob
01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I would say do it if you can ship fully tracked, insured and signed for. Taiwan is not Nigeria. Plenty of serious and wealthy buyers there.

Research shipping costs that make you feel safe - did I mention tracking? - and communicate them to the buyer. If he's willing to pay no problem.

I have once shipped a Leica camera to Taiwan. It was EMS with full tracking and insurance and it was $300 to ship. The buyer was happy to pay, and he received his camera in 3 business days.

Good luck filing a claim with Paypal as a buyer if the tracking number is recorded in the Paypal transaction details and shows the item as received and signed for.

Agreed. I've shipped to Taiwan and elsewhere in Asia with no troubles. Taiwan is full of lots of nice and good people, sure things can go wrong as with anywhere, but with the suggestions above chances are it will be OK.

FYI USPS has a Priority International Small Flat Rate Box - that should fit a watch - for $16.95 to Taiwan. The website says that comes with "delivery status information".

19wisconsin64
01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
in ten years of buying and selling things on ebay to people in other countries i've never lost one thing, or had one claim or problem. i usually ship us postal service airmail. they have flat-rate ship boxes. seems like this buyer has a lot of feedback too, so it seems like a very safe sale! good luck!

bargainguy
01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Used to do a lot of ebay selling, but in used camera equipment, so take this for what it's worth.

The decision to sell in the US only vs. north america only vs. the entire world is a tough one. There are pros and cons to each.

You'll definitely hit a larger demographic if you go international. But then you'd better be OK with filling out customs forms accurately and ensure you get appropriate tracking from whatever carrier you choose.

IMHO, USPS tracking is next to worthless. I've ordered stuff from overseas and already had it delivered in my hands when USPS tracking said it still hadn't left Mumbai or Singapore or whatever. Not exactly real-time updating.

Don49
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
The reason I stopped shipping outside of the US was a customs problem.

Sold a camera (eBay) to a guy in Canada, did all the proper paperwork, and shipped the camera. Canadian customs assessed a $50 fee to be paid by the buyer. The camera was delivered to the buyer without collecting the $50 duty from him, and he subsequently refused to pay the fee. As the seller, I was 2nd in line as responsible for the duty fee, and the shipper came after me for the $50 through a collection agency.

Bottom line, never again, not worth the potential hassle and liability.

phcollard
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
The reason I stopped shipping outside of the US was a customs problem.

Sold a camera (eBay) to a guy in Canada, did all the proper paperwork, and shipped the camera. Canadian customs assessed a $50 fee to be paid by the buyer. The camera was delivered to the buyer without collecting the $50 duty from him, and he subsequently refused to pay the fee. As the seller, I was 2nd in line as responsible for the duty fee, and the shipper came after me for the $50 through a collection agency.

Bottom line, never again, not worth the potential hassle and liability.

Very strange. Which carrier was that? We I get stuff shipped by USPS I sometimes have fees for taxes and duties. I pay the postman or the clerk at the post office if I have to collect the parcel there. If I don't pay they send the stuff back to the seller. They don't charge you for that.

I believe it's the same with Fedex. I once received a parcel from Rapha and they wanted me to pay $70 for a $110 jersey. I said no way send the thing back and go away. I was refunded by Rapha a few days later and they certainly did not have to pay the fees.

Please carry on shipping up north. We need the good deals from the USA :banana: USPS is our friend, and for small items First Class is sometimes even cheaper than to ship inland!

tuscanyswe
01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Very strange. Which carrier was that? We I get stuff shipped by USPS I sometimes have fees for taxes and duties. I pay the postman or the clerk at the post office if I have to collect the parcel there. If I don't pay they send the stuff back to the seller. They don't charge you for that.

I believe it's the same with Fedex. I once received a parcel from Rapha and they wanted me to pay $70 for a $110 jersey. I said no way send the thing back and go away. I was refunded by Rapha a few days later and they certainly did not have to pay the fees.

Please carry on shipping up north. We need the good deals from the USA :banana: USPS is our friend, and for small items First Class is sometimes even cheaper than to ship inland!

Same here. If theres an import tax or vat fee to pay i have to pay it in order to get the delivery. I can refuse and the item will be sent back to the shipper.
Goes for all shipping firms, usps, ups dhl or whatever.

ultraman6970
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM
This is why I have issues sending to asia, in specific small countries from there "IMHO, USPS tracking is next to worthless"... even if you ask to the post office guy he will tell you that no matter what you do once the item left the country wherever the package goes the other side doesnt have the obligation to scan the stuff making the customs# or any other tracking# you get just useless. That's why i suggest larger curriers like ups or fedex.

wallymann
01-09-2013, 05:22 PM
a little slow but 100% positive parcel control up to delivery, secure storage at all points in possession-chain, signed-for delivery, reasonable rates.

bargainguy
01-09-2013, 05:38 PM
OK, one more international story, then I'll shut up. Another reason not to go international because anything can happen.

About 15 yr. ago, I sold a used Nikon lens on the bay of evil to a fellow in Germany. Chose USPS registered mail.

Ship the lens off, got a tracking #, etc. Three weeks later, the tracking hasn't been updated and the guy in Germany is screaming for his lens.

Here's what happened. German customs intercepted the package and held it without notifying him it was there until after they decided to ship it back to me because of whatever.

So I had no choice but to refund his money - including registered mail shipping. Asked him if he wanted it reshipped via a different carrier but he said no, which I completely understood.

I complained bitterly to the US Consulate, USPS, etc. They said there's nothing they could do. Rotsa ruck.

Don49
01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Very strange. Which carrier was that?

Fedex.

ultraman6970
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Barganguy at least you get the item back, I got screwed with the item plus the paypal refund, sucks.

slidey
01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Corrected it for you...you're welcome :)

"IMHO, USPS tracking is worthless"

rugbysecondrow
01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't, but that is me.

I wish I hadn't seen that Ebay listing though...that is a great looking watch.

:banana: