PDA

View Full Version : Any Giro Empire experiences?

kohlboto
01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm due for a new pair of shoes this spring and, aesthetically, for some unknown reason, I am really drawn to the Giro Empires. Maybe it's the pang of nostalgia...
Does anyone own a pair and have some impressions and/or experiences they wouldn't mind sharing?

Llewellyn
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Wow, a blast from the past!!

Serious question, are there any advantages with lace-up shoes compared to velcro straps?

christian
01-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Some people are drawn to them. ;)

phcollard
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
They look great! I did not know about this model but now that I've seen them I definitely want to try a pair. I love my Giro Trans, they are very comfy. So I can hope the Empire will fit. The only thing I don't like is that they probably won't last long. After a season only the carbon sole is quite damaged and the faux leather on the ends is already tearing.

Lovetoclimb
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Our team ordered them with our Giro Sponsorship this season. Used the Prolights last year and really liked them. Apparently the empires are a lace up version of those so I am hoping for good things. Will report back in April!

FlashUNC
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
The Empires look awesome.

jonbek
05-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Anyone have anything to add, now that the Empires have been out for quite some time? Looking for a bit of a long term review on them if at all possible.

:banana:

justinrchan
05-28-2014, 08:39 PM
I have a pair in blue and they are great. Fit like my Factors but one thing you will have to note is that since they are lace up you need to really tighten the laces to get that same feeling as a ratchet style shoe. That is if you like your shoes tight and i do.

Robbos
05-29-2014, 11:52 AM
I've had these for a year. Stiffness is through the roof, the sole is incredibly thin, and they look classy... Yet the laces don't really do it for me. Maybe its the shape of my feet, but I really appreciate the ability to ajust my shoes on the fly, especially when my feet 'swell up' with the heat. Have to say as well that, aside from the evil they do, my Specialized S-Works road shoes are far more comfortable and ajustable.

Idris Icabod
05-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Is there a place to tuck the laces?

kurto
05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Yeah, you tuck the laces in a little elastic deal attached to the tongue. I've never had any issues at all with mine coming untied or getting in the way while pedaling. I think the shoes are awesome. They fit me great, and I prefer laces to velcro and buckles. I also think they look really nice (I have the silver and neon yellow/green). I have Giro mountain shoes, too, and they are tops all around.

hida yanra
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM
they are really quite nice- I'm a big fan.

Yes, you'll need to pull the laces tight, but once you've tightened them a few times, it seems like they don't need as much effort.

Stiff, secure, the breathe much better than it seems like they should.
2014 models have replaceable walking pads, if you want a pair to last more than a couple of years, probably stick with the 2014s (though the 2013s had much better colors IMO)