PDA

View Full Version : Cross tires on Open Pros?

Russ
10-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Do you know if one could safely use cross tires on Mavic Open Pro rims? What's the widest tires these rims will hold?

Thanks!

ergott
10-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Do you know if one could safely use cross tires on Mavic Open Pro rims? What's the widest tires these rims will hold?

Thanks!

Yes. Some bikes come stock with Open Pro rims. As far as width, I bet that frame clearance becomes an issue before any problems with the rim.

dbrk
10-29-2005, 05:03 PM

Thanks!
Yes.
I've used Vittoria 42c Randonneurs and Schwalbe BigApple HUGE (don't know the width but much, much wider than any cross tire) on OpenPro rims, no problem.

dbrk

jerk
10-29-2005, 05:28 PM

Thanks!

what the hell else would you put a clincher cross tire on?

jerk

Bruce K
10-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Michelin Muds or Jets, all Schwalbe clinchers, ANY clincher cross tire works on OPs.

DfCas
10-29-2005, 07:12 PM
A lot of the light weight 29 mtb'ers use Open Pros for 2.1/52mm tires and report no problems.

dan

PBWrench
10-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Happy Halloween buddy! What kind of cross rig are you building up?

Russ
10-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Happy Halloween buddy! What kind of cross rig are you building up?

No kidding!!! Miami is really a "haunted house" after Hurricane Wilma!!! Well, nothing like New Orleans :eek: BUT, we are living without power for a few more days :no: :no: :no:

On the bright side... The weather is now great mid to low 70's, low humidity, etc. I have been riding and barely sweat now.

To answer your question: I am not building a cross bike, rather a commuter. But I want strong cross-type tires so I can jump the curbs and run over the pot-holes ;)

Regards to all you!

Don
10-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Russ,

Our power returned this evening. Telephone yesterday. No structural damage to our condo but this area of Palm Beach County is a mess. Hope you are safe and sound!

Don

Russ
10-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Russ,

Our power returned this evening. Telephone yesterday. No structural damage to our condo but this area of Palm Beach County is a mess. Hope you are safe and sound!

Don

Hey Don,

I am glad to hear you are fine.... I hope everyone at the shop is good as well. I will see when I can go up there and see you all. Send my regards to the rest of the crew!

Down but not out!

Hysbrian
10-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Tufo tubuluar clinchers are where its at...well thats if you are running clinchers in cross