PDA

View Full Version : BCS game, No ESPN. Where else????

BlackTiBob
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi,
no ESPN on our cable pkg. :(

Anywhere else to stream it, live?????

Thanks

vqdriver
01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
espn3.com but it's blacked out in my area so i guess i'm finding a tv unless i want to watch a replay.

Louis
01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't even bother - the game's over.

vqdriver
01-07-2013, 07:57 PM
This is funny

"Notre Dame's jersey names make it so much easier to quickly ID who Eddie Lacy runs over."

BlackTiBob
01-07-2013, 08:13 PM
FYI, found a Wall Street Journl blog.
Written updates, shortly after each play or series.

Best I could find so far.
TDF coverage seemed a lot easier to find.....

Louis
01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Just listen on the radio - that's what I'm doing.

Doug Fattic
01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I found a local church with a 48 foot screen. It's a quiet crowd.

jr59
01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
http://atdhe.eu/

djg21
01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I found a local church with a 48 foot screen. It's a quiet crowd.

Inspired by this thread, I turned it on on the ESPN Live app on my iPad. I quickly turned it off. At least I won't have to listen to the gloating of the moron ND Alum I work with.

Louis
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
gloating of the moron ND Alum

It's not clear to me why, but many of them do have a grossly inflated opinion of their alma mater.

Louis
01-07-2013, 08:41 PM
"Notre Dame's jersey names make it so much easier to quickly ID who Eddie Lacy runs over."

Wow !!! I wouldn't want this guy to run into me even at 25% speed.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/01/08/sports/football/20130108_337_BCS-slide-PAV7/20130108_337_BCS-slide-PAV7-blog480-v2.jpg

I Want Sachs?
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
ND was lucky to have a relatively easy schedule so they can get where they are today. Alabama is making them look like HS kids playing against pros.

Doug Fattic
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
ND was lucky to have a relatively easy schedule so they can get where they are today. Alabama is making them look like HS kids playing against pros.
Alabama is making them look like HS with all the missed tackeles (that they didn't do during the season) but they did NOT have an easy schedule. Only Wake Forest and Navy were gimmies.

jr59
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Rudy...Rudy...Rudy!!!!

jr59
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Alabama is making them look like HS with all the missed tackeles (that they didn't do during the season) but they did NOT have an easy schedule. Only Wake Forest and Navy were gimmies.

The way ND is playing; They would be the 5th best team in the SEC west!

vqdriver
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
It's not clear to me why, but many of them do have a grossly inflated opinion of their alma mater.

This.

Games back on espn3 btw. Guess they can spare the bandwidth now.

changes2008
01-08-2013, 06:03 AM
The way ND is playing; They would be the 5th best team in the SEC west!

You're being generous. ND, regardless of win/loss should not have played in that game. Look at the crap teams they played as proof. This is like Boise making the national title game. That being said, not sure who would have made for a more interesting game but whatever. Looking forward to the 4 team playoff. That's next year right?

FlashUNC
01-08-2013, 08:12 AM
You're being generous. ND, regardless of win/loss should not have played in that game. Look at the crap teams they played as proof. This is like Boise making the national title game. That being said, not sure who would have made for a more interesting game but whatever. Looking forward to the 4 team playoff. That's next year right?

But Boise beat Oklahoma. In fact, Boise State's won more BCS bowls than Notre Dame.

Birddog
01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
So A&M ought to be NC, right?

Doug Fattic
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
You're being generous. ND, regardless of win/loss should not have played in that game. Look at the crap teams they played as proof. This is like Boise making the national title game.
I don't know why everybody keeps saying Notre Dame had an easy schedule. So you are saying that USC, Oklahoma, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, BYU, Boston College are crap teams? They had only 2 easy games on their schedule, Wake Forest and Navy (and some years the Navy team can be a challenge but they never have 300lb lineman). Because of their tough schedule everyone around here (I live near South Bend) at the beginning of the season thought they would lose a minimum of 3 games and probably more. Only the most wildly optimistic thought they would lose only 2 games and anyone that said they would run the table would have been delusional nuts. So it was a huge surprise they did. They are independent (the football team does not belong in a conference) so they play top teams from around the country almost every week. They don't play the poor teams with losing records that everyone else does that is in some conference like the Big Ten or Pac 12 or whatever. Playing these good teams brings in big money and big TV ratings. They have an exclusive contract with NBC. This is why they don't pad their schedule with weak teams.

Of course not everyone here in Michiana (Notre Dame is located almost on the state line) is unhappy Notre Dame lost. Half my local friends wish Notre Dame loses every game and sent me "roll tide" text messages last night.

Usually ND plays better teams in bowl games because they have a strong national following (because it is the premiere Catholic university) and bring in more money than some more regional team with a better record. You can bet the BCS organizers were thrilled ND was playing in the national championship rather than another SEC team even though the game was over before the end of the 1st quarter.

crownjewelwl
01-08-2013, 08:28 AM

right...but they shoulda lost to purdue, pitt, AND stanford

jr59
01-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't know why everybody keeps saying Notre Dame had an easy schedule. So you are saying that USC, Oklahoma, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, BYU, Boston College are crap teams? They had only 2 easy games on their schedule, Wake Forest and Navy (and some years the Navy team can be a challenge but they never have 300lb lineman). Because of their tough schedule everyone around here (I live near South Bend) at the beginning of the season thought they would lose a minimum of 3 games and probably more. Only the most wildly optimistic thought they would lose only 2 games and anyone that said they would run the table would have been delusional nuts. So it was a huge surprise they did. They are independent (the football team does not belong in a conference) so they play top teams from around the country almost every week. They don't play the poor teams with losing records that everyone else does that is in some conference like the Big Ten or Pac 12 or whatever. Playing these good teams brings in big money and big TV ratings. They have an exclusive contract with NBC. This is why they don't pad their schedule with weak teams.

Of course not everyone here in Michiana (Notre Dame is located almost on the state line) is unhappy Notre Dame lost. Half my local friends wish Notre Dame loses every game and sent me "roll tide" text messages last night.

Usually ND plays better teams in bowl games because they have a strong national following (because it is the premiere Catholic university) and bring in more money than some more regional team with a better record. You can bet the BCS organizers were thrilled ND was playing in the national championship rather than another SEC team even though the game was over before the end of the 1st quarter.

Ok Doug, I'll play!

You named 8 teams, only one turned out to be a quality opponent. The rest were lower mid level teams for sure. Not programs, but teams this year. With Stanford being the only exception. Who in that group would you call good this year?

I realize that you have to play who you schedule, but when you look back on things, none of those teams were worth much. Just down years for some, for some... well they haven't been good in years.

ND was mismatched and got what happens when you match one team like Al & a team like ND. A blow out! Just to much speed, to many good players on the sidelines waiting their turn.

ND would have been the 3rd best team in the SEC west. LSU would have done the same thing. Just run over them.

Keep in mind that the SEC pays it's staff a LOT more than any other conference. Millions of dollars to their O and D coordinators. In no other part of the country does football mean so much, well maybe Tx, but you get the point.

ND had no chance, or maybe a punchers chance. This was not a great team that AL had this year, it was to be a rebuilding year there. Just goes to show.

FlashUNC
01-08-2013, 08:38 AM
If Purdue counts as a tough game -- considering they fired their coach for being terrible -- then its pretty clear they didn't belong.

If Pitt's kicker can make a 30 yard field goal, the Irish never make the game.

So much of their season just seemed like needless hype.

bikerboy337
01-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I take offense to this. As a Boston College grad, how dare you state that we are not a cupcake team! ;););) We were a whopping 2-10 this year and beat Maryland and Maine! ;););)

just kidding obviously!

So you are saying that USC, Oklahoma, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, BYU, Boston College are crap teams? They had only 2 easy games on their schedule, Wake Forest and Navy (and some years the Navy team can be a challenge but they never have 300lb lineman).

Doug Fattic
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Well its true that by the end of the season many of the teams Notre Dame played didn't end up having a great year. However they are schools expected to be good and were ranked sometime during the season and are located throughout the country. It think my primary point was that ND didn't schedule a bunch of teams that had no chance of beating them so they could have a great record. Most comments on this subject thread are saying the bowl system is flawed and I agree.

I'll mention something else about average teams that play Notre Dame like Purdue. It is an in-state rivalry and they get really up to play them. So they are almost always very competitive games. All those that support Michigan or Indiana state schools love to root against ND. I'm not sure football is all that popular around here. Almost none of my cycling friends pay that much attention or care what happens. I'd bet 95% of them couldn't name 3 teams in the SEC. Come to think about it I can't name 3 teams in the SEC.

67-59
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Well its true that by the end of the season many of the teams Notre Dame played didn't end up having a great year. However they are schools expected to be good and were ranked sometime during the season and are located throughout the country. It think my primary point was that ND didn't schedule a bunch of teams that had no chance of beating them so they could have a great record. Most comments on this subject thread are saying the bowl system is flawed and I agree.

I'll mention something else about average teams that play Notre Dame like Purdue. It is an in-state rivalry and they get really up to play them. So they are almost always very competitive games. All those that support Michigan or Indiana state schools love to root against ND. I'm not sure football is all that popular around here. Almost none of my cycling friends pay that much attention or care what happens. I'd bet 95% of them couldn't name 3 teams in the SEC. Come to think about it I can't name 3 teams in the SEC.

I don't think anyone has said that ND tried to set up an easy schedule. They are simply saying that they didn't deserve to be in the NC game. Those are very different issues. For the latter analysis, it doesn't matter how good opponents were expected to be -- what matters is how good opponents actually were. And the reality is that most of ND's opponents weren't great teams. Michigan State was expected to be good? They finished 7-6. USC? Same thing - finished 7-6.

I'm not sure how or why it matters that you can't name 3 teams in the SEC....

fiamme red
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Wow !!! I wouldn't want this guy to run into me even at 25% speed.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/01/08/sports/football/20130108_337_BCS-slide-PAV7/20130108_337_BCS-slide-PAV7-blog480-v2.jpgI don't want to imply anything about that particular person, but many of these athletes are doping.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8765531/steroids-loom-major-college-football-report-says

The sport's near-zero rate of positive steroids tests isn't an accurate gauge among college athletes. Random tests provide weak deterrence and, by design, fail to catch every player using steroids. Colleges also are reluctant to spend money on expensive steroid testing when cheaper ones for drugs like marijuana allow them to say they're doing everything they can to keep drugs out of football.

"It's nothing like what's going on in reality," said Don Catlin, an anti-doping pioneer who spent years conducting the NCAA's laboratory tests at UCLA. He became so frustrated with the college system that it drove him in part to leave the testing industry to focus on anti-doping research.

Catlin said the collegiate system, in which players often are notified days before a test and many schools don't even test for steroids, is designed to not catch dopers. That artificially reduces the numbers of positive tests and keeps schools safe from embarrassing drug scandals.

While other major sports have been beset by revelations of steroid use, college football has operated with barely a whiff of scandal. Between 1996 and 2010 -- the era of Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong -- the failure rate for NCAA steroid tests fell even closer to zero from an already low rate of less than 1 percent...