PDA

View Full Version : anyone recommend a good structured training plan?

AngryScientist
01-07-2013, 02:38 PM
generally i've put together my own winter training plans, and if i stick with it, i wind up in upper mediocre shape in the spring, can anyone recommend a structured training plan that i can tailor to fit my needs? i dont mind paying for it, if i have to...

christian
01-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Get Friel's book. I like 2nd ed. since I don't have a power meter.

Follow the instructions religiously.

Then use that spreadsheet that guy posted to make creating the annual plan and tracking the workouts easy.

It will take you 3-4 hours to get set for the season, but I really think it's the best way.

AngryScientist
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Get Friel's book.

Believe it or not, i actually have it, the binding isnt even creased, maybe i should dig it up...

false_Aest
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
if you're riding with a decent trainer you should be able to find a wattage curve (speed = watts) and then judge your efforts based on speed.

2 years ago i picked up Coogan's book on training with a PM and applied it as well as I could to my Kurt. I made some impressive gains in 8 weeks. FTP went from about 250 to just over 300, etc.

IIRC training peaks has some plans that go along with the book and most of my workouts were under 1.5 hours -- making me an effective crit rider that year.

Nooch
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Nick, I just stumbled upon a site called TrainerRoad.com. For $10 a month it'll give you training plans and stuff, and with an ant+ stick it'll mate up with your speed/cadence sensor, HRM, and Power Meter if you have one.. Plus, it'll run over whatever you're doing on your computer, so watching a movie, etc... and if you purchase any of the Sufferfest videos, it'll overlay and sync the workout to the video.

Cool stuff, it seems -- I'm thinking about signing up.

AngryScientist
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
here's the story:

i just walked up 8 flights of stairs, and i feel like i'm going to die.

in a moment of weakness here, i'm actually considering picking up a power meter. it's time to get my butt in gear, for real.

Jaq
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Monday gym.
Tues. intervals.
Wed. gym.
Thus. intervals.
Friday flats
Saturday hills or LSD or even a club ride.
Sunday: feed, clean the bike, sleep
Regular sex.
TV less.
Eat better.
Floss more.

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 03:02 PM
here's the story:

i just walked up 8 flights of stairs, and i feel like i'm going to die.

in a moment of weakness here, i'm actually considering picking up a power meter. it's time to get my butt in gear, for real.

Nick, first of all, that's a rigged test. Everyone feels that way when they start out walking up 8 flights of stairs... that's why athletes warm up first. I'm sure there's a car analogy, but simple fact is that our bodies aren't designed to just start from zero... I'm sure if you went for a hike, and did that same '8 floors' of elevation gain in the middle of hike, it'd be no sweat.

Second, save your money for some good Whiskey, don't buy a power meter on impulse.

zap
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
What are your goals?

What are your weaknesses? Other than being out of breath after walking up some steps.

Until then.............

scrubadub
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm a big fan of having a coach. I own many of the books but had trouble staying focused over the long haul.

It doesn't have to be someone expensive or famous. It's about having someone keep you honest, prodding you to push a bit harder or conversely suggesting that you back off when you're going too hard. They're also good at making me pick my achievable goals and sticking to them. I don't see my coach that often despite them being local, but we chat on email as needed.

P.S. Powermeters are evil... I have one despite being a mediocre rider (I don't dare post my FTP here), but it has made me a stronger rider. It keeps me honest during interval workouts and races. The same goes for GPS watches to maintain run pacing.

mtechnica
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Believe it or not, i actually have it, the binding isnt even creased, maybe i should dig it up...

Yet you're asking on a forum? Pretty much everyone is gonna tell you to either read friel or get a coach. But really you need the motivation to punish yourself, if you don't have the mental fortitude to read through a book about training how do you expect to train for hours and hours? That said I don't really see the need for anything besides base training until the spring, it's about the hours and the cadence not the structure IMO. People saying to do intervals in January are just going to burn out early in the year and suck the rest of the way through. Nothing you read online will help you hang onto the pack at 30mph...

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Another Good Training Plan. (http://www.amazon.com/Lance-Armstrong-Performance-Program-Perfect/dp/1579542700)

bheight1
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Yet you're asking on a forum? Pretty much everyone is gonna tell you to either read friel or get a coach. But really you need the motivation to punish yourself, if you don't have the mental fortitude to read through a book about training how do you expect to train for hours and hours? That said I don't really see the need for anything besides base training until the spring, it's about the hours and the cadence not the structure IMO. People saying to do intervals in January are just going to burn out early in the year and suck the rest of the way through. Nothing you read online will help you hang onto the pack at 30mph...

This is me. Being close to 50, goals are the same each year 1) stay healthy--that includes overuse injuries and 2) hang with the faster group on Sat. So, what I do now is ride with the fast guys to ride with the fast guys. Make the most of Sat/Sun mornings--snow and cold hasn't yet been a factor but for one day in NE, if you can't ride outside during the week (commute?), and can endure indoor training than I always suggest Sufferfest or Spinervals. If I couldnt ride during week, I'd probably join a gym for the companionship and take classes. Ever take a Spinning class?--it's brutal.

dekindy
01-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Another TrainerRoad.com vote. Their website lists all the available plan names, general objectives, difficulties, etc but to see the individual workouts you would have to take advantage of the 30-day free trial. All plans were developed by certified coaches. $10 per month. They have been out of beta for a year so still in development but huge potential. If you have a decent trainer can train with power; read about it. Trainer and Ant+ speed/cadence sensor and USB stick in addition to the trainer gets you power. You can even suspend your account during the Summer months.

Next level and a long track record would be Cyclo-core.com at $27 per month.
Extensive number of off-bike flexibility and strength training included.

mcallen
01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I like this guy's knowledge base and his sense of humor. I bought a winter plan from him a few years ago but couldn't stay healthy enough to use it consistently (young kids = constant colds). I'm healthy and focused this year (knock on wood) and because of how he structured the plan, it was really easy to adapt for this season. So far so good. He has a range of plans/services.

http://www.flammerouge.je

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
There's always the Merckx plan:

Ride lots.

merlincustom1
01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
If you have Friel's book and put some creases in it you'll read fairly early on, maybe in the 10 commandments, that pretty much any plan will do if you just stick with it and stop looking for other plans. There's nothing wrong with intervals in January, especially if you have limited time to train. Within reason of course, so you don't burn out too early. This is also in keeping with Friel, who says you should always do the least amount of the most specific training necessary.

christian
01-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Helping with motivation here:

"Hey Nick, I rode 3 hours in Z2/Z3 before work today. What did you do?" :)

But seriously, if you want to look at my annual plan and log - it's on Google Docs, I can add you to it.

Nooch
01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Helping with motivation here:

"Hey Nick, I rode 3 hours in Z2/Z3 before work today. What did you do?" :)

But seriously, if you want to look at my annual plan and log - it's on Google Docs, I can add you to it.

I'll help!

Hey Nick, I only road :40 in Z2/Z3 before work today...

...but my commute is only 9.5 miles and it was on studded snows. Low speed, high effort :)

AngryScientist
01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
What did you do?

ha, not a thing this morning.

i finally got my rollers set-up in the basement last night, half an hour was all i could manage on the first night in.

i work right off of 9W now, i think i may have to get in on this commute idea, at least a partial commute, there's no way for me to get to work from home on a bike, at least in any decent amount of time.

Lovetoclimb
01-08-2013, 08:31 AM
generally i've put together my own winter training plans, and if i stick with it, i wind up in upper mediocre shape in the spring, can anyone recommend a structured training plan that i can tailor to fit my needs? i dont mind paying for it, if i have to...

Go on Amazon or to your local purveyor of books and spend roughly $8 for a copy of "Bicycle Road Racing" by Eddy Borysewicz. Incredibly dated but the training information and how to structure all or part of your year is in there. It is very simple, laid out well, and reading how Eddie B used his Eastern European toughness to break US team cyclists until they got fast enough is quite enjoyable.

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Road-Racing-Complete-Competition/dp/0941950077

fiamme red
01-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Go on Amazon or to your local purveyor of books and spend roughly $8 for a copy of "Bicycle Road Racing" by Eddy Borysewicz. Incredibly dated but the training information and how to structure all or part of your year is in there. It is very simple, laid out well, and reading how Eddie B used his Eastern European toughness to break US team cyclists until they got fast enough is quite enjoyable.One of his secrets was eating horse meat: "Guys, for me, horse is faster animal, so come on, eat horse." :)

christian
01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
One of his secrets was eating horse meat: "Guys, for me, horse is faster animal, so come on, eat horse." :)I have been eating a lot of fish (lox on bagels, mostly) in preparation for a half-Ironman this year. Fingers crossed.

54ny77
01-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I had that book as a junior, dog-eared every page. No idea where it is, probably boxed up in parent's garage somewhere. Loved the horsemeat part!

Doesn't Eddie B live in San Diego somewhere? I recall a story that his house burned down a couple years ago.

One of his secrets was eating horse meat: "Guys, for me, horse is faster animal, so come on, eat horse." :)

shovelhd
01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
What are your goals?

What are your weaknesses? Other than being out of breath after walking up some steps.

Until then.............

Exactly. "Get in shape" isn't a goal. The more specific (and realistic) you are with your goals, the better the fit to your plan. I would tell you two completely different things if you were a recreational rider that wanted to do an early century versus if you wanted to start racing.

The first question, before you go and drop a bundle for a power meter, is, are you willing, and interested in, doing structured straining? If not, save your money.

Allan and Coggan Training and Racing with a Power Meter also has a sample FTP improvement plan that is based on power, but it can be adapted for HR only.

Gummee
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
I had that book as a junior, dog-eared every page. No idea where it is, probably boxed up in parent's garage somewhere. Loved the horsemeat part!

Doesn't Eddie B live in San Diego somewhere? I recall a story that his house burned down a couple years ago.

He did when I lived there. Trained with his group on a few occasions. Him, Mark Whitehead, and Arnie Baker all had training sessions/athletes at the Sandy Eggo velodrome

M

dekindy
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Dr. Arnie Baker has some good, high intensity training programs in his book aptly labeled "High Intensity Training".

efuentes
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I have been using the plans in Time-Crunched cyclist, Usually do a couple of cycles per year and will give you pretty good fitness. I know that is not as detailed as the other options out there but keeps me in the pointy end with the guys.

In reality a couple of days of intervals and some long rides on the weekend with a fast group works pretty good as long as you dont have Cat 3/2/1 dreams and are not willing to get down to 13% fat :)

54ny77
01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
this guy has great programs. helped alotta joe's become pro's.

http://www.53x12.com/do/show;jsessionid=336505DB0851208CB49EFF433B49DCF6?p age=front

;)

MattTuck
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
this guy has great programs. helped alotta joe's become pro's.

http://www.53x12.com/do/show;jsessionid=336505DB0851208CB49EFF433B49DCF6?p age=front

;)

Maybe you can just get your Primary Care doc to write you a scrip for some testosterone patches, EPO and a low-oxygen tent. seems easier than working out :rolleyes:

christian
01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I know you're joking, and that Michele Ferrari is a huge scumbag, but there's actually some good articles on that site. Still 53x11.com has got to be better?

54ny77
01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
i prefer 34x28!

[edit--ironically, that is a website. i had no idea...]

I know you're joking, and that Michele Ferrari is a huge scumbag, but there's actually some good articles on that site. Still 53x11.com has got to be better?

RacerJRP
01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Like others have said, come up with honest goals and that will dictate what sort of training you spend your time doing.

If you really want to put in the solo hours on the bike doing structured workouts there is no better $ to spend on yourself than to start using a PM.