PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Loser on TV Last Night?

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I've never watched this show, until last night... It was the season premier, and they had these contestants doing all sorts of crazy sprints on treadmills and stair climbers, people were passing out, throwing up and basically just pushing themselves beyond exhaustion.

One of the 'trainers' (and I use those quotes on purpose) was yelling at the contestants, telling them they wanted to fail, that they should just give up if they couldn't get back on the treadmill.... telling them they didn't want to lose weight enough.

Later in the episode, they showed some of the contestants with their knees wrapped with ice. I'm not an exercise physiologist, or a psychologist, but from what I saw, it didn't look like a very pleasant (or even effective) weight loss endeavor.

Anyone watch this or seen it in seasons past? What's the long term success rate of the contestants on the show? I can tell you that it wouldn't have been very effective for me... You're telling me I'm not trying enough? my 400 pound body hasn't run in a decade, I'm blowing out my knees, fainting and you're telling me I want to fail? Gee, I'm sorry that my brain isn't able to magically make me in shape in 30 seconds.

false_Aest
01-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Reality TV is not reality.

Also, I really thought this was going to be another lame lance thread.

Dave B
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I have watched a few early seasons as I think it is amazing how much weight some of these folks can lose and it is crazy to see them change.

BUT, I have read several articles that very few and I mean VERY FEW actually stay as thin as they were. They work out something like 5 to 7 hours a day and then when the show is over they go back to their normal lives. Well, unless you are a pro athlete or fitness trainer you don't have that type of commitment to keep the body going.

Some of the 400pound people lose 200+ pounds and are left with huge flaps of skin that they need plastic surgery to fix.

I think there are great tings inthe show, but like with anything else when you put money and competition into it the good can quickly go bad.

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it is also troubling to me that it creates a mentality that you need a show like this to make the changes required to lose weight.

Ahneida Ride
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
slow and steady is the way to go ...

at least that is my opinion and I've seen it work.

LesMiner
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Bicycling magazine had a piece a few years back about a 500 pound guy that went down to 190 something. Cycling became his post weight lose method of maintainance.

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Yeah, it is also troubling to me that it creates a mentality that you need a show like this to make the changes required to lose weight.

It is a show, meant to be entertainment. I suspect the much more boring side of losing weight is taking place as well.

I like it, although I don't watch the show anymore. They get lots of people up off the couch and moving when they might not otherwise do anything. I think they push people in ways I wouldn't recommend, some of it seems drastic, but so is being double to triple the size of a normal person. Drastic situations call for drastic solutions.

I will also add, yelling and screaming...ever been to basic training? Biggest Losers got nothing on those folks.

To your last point, it is sad that we even need a show like this in America. The fact that the basic survival instinct, self preservation hasn't kicked in for so many Americans is down right scary.

norcalbiker
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Reality TV programs are all "STAGE"

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I will also add, yelling and screaming...ever been to basic training? Biggest Losers got nothing on those folks.

To your last point, it is sad that we even need a show like this in America. The fact that the basic survival instinct, self preservation hasn't kicked in for so many Americans is down right scary.

I've not been to basic training, but I'm familiar with it. I'm not saying the yelling itself is bad, was just surprised they would continue yelling and telling the people they were quitters after they passed out and/or their knees gave out.

It wasn't like they were slightly winded and wanted to take a break, one guy was on the ground being attended to by EMTs, while the other guy is struggling to stay on the treadmill and they're both being yelled at...

atleast with basic training, the army owns you and can do whatever they want, so if they mess you up, they have to fix you.... what if they make one of these people have a stroke or destroy their knee?

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I've not been to basic training, but I'm familiar with it. I'm not saying the yelling itself is bad, was just surprised they would continue yelling and telling the people they were quitters after they passed out and/or their knees gave out.

It wasn't like they were slightly winded and wanted to take a break, one guy was on the ground being attended to by EMTs, while the other guy is struggling to stay on the treadmill and they're both being yelled at...

atleast with basic training, the army owns you and can do whatever they want, so if they mess you up, they have to fix you.... what if they make one of these people have a stroke or destroy their knee?

I didn't watch the show so I am not able to speak to what you are saying. I think each year they have gotten more hardcore, or at least made the show more hardcore. Like somebody else said, it is all staged. Big fails, big pain, big drops and drop outs, lots of tears, then, miracle finishes, dramatic weight loss, camaraderie...it is all part of the entertainment.

GRAVELBIKE
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jillian_Michaels_(personal_trainer)#Controversy

"Michaels 'is not actually a real fitness trainer—she's an actress playing the role of fitness trainer on TV and in a line of popular DVDs.'"

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2013, 03:04 PM
. . . and am still certified, and if I had used any of the methods I've seen depicted on this show, particularly the mental cruelty in the name of "motivaton" I would have been fired immediately. Ditto for any other professional club I've had any experience with.

While at work I did have to deal with some misconceptions created by this ridiculous show, with potential clients who came and and either assumed this was the way training was done or had totally unrealistic expectations about methods or how quickly they could achive weight loss.

Safe weight loss involves a steady 2-3 pounds per week at most to be safe. That takes perseverance and most often long term support from someone who knows you can do it and tells you that constantly in a positive, supportive way. It does not involve screaming at clients that they should just give up if they don't "want it enough." :butt:

BBD

cash05458
01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
my ex girlfriend used to watch this show and I would of course have to watch it with her being the swell guy supportive mofo I am:banana:...totally depressing show...the ex had gained about a hundred pounds since we had met so she related to the show...she would get all drummed up about working out 4 hours a day during the show and get inspired...but would never do anything...the bike I had bought her for 800 bucks and wanted to go out on rides together just sat out in the shed...

I just thank god I have been into riding for the fun of it even after I stopped racing...my 25th anniversary was this year and I got my 5000 miles in...the ex. is gone:hello:...she took her 270 pounds and waddled off and I am sure is watching the new season of biggest loser with her new supportive guy, the poor sob, and winding herself up...that bike I bought her is parked in someone else's shed and seeing no action...ce la vie...

mindless, fairly dangerous albeit harmless show that promotes fat folks getting worked up and for the most part beating themselves up and doing nothing...guilt trips don't work...

sashae
01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
FWIW, I used to take group classes with Bob, one of the trainers on the show at a gym when I lived in LA. He was enormously popular (this was pre-Big Loser) due to his motivational techniques and overall positive demeanor in his classes -- always drew a crowd. I'm glad to see him successful, though I've never watched the show. Guy seems like he deserved it -- I hope the show represents him more that way than as some hardass drill sergeant.

Dave B
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
A bit staged I am sure, but there is all sorts of mental fitness there as well.

Look at Bob Knight. He broke those kids and built them back up as men. Yeah he had his methods and ultimately it cost him as we have turned into a society to hand holders.

The majority of former players of his are incredibly loyal and would lay down in traffic for him. Some people respond to up beat motivators, some respond to angry drill sergeants.

Anyway, it is a show, it is partially real, but those folks do lose weight.

katematt
01-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Also, I really thought this was going to be another lame lance thread.

That was funny!!

Hank Scorpio
01-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Isn't anyone else pumped that they finally got the sound right for the T-mobile girl's Ducati?

Mr President you have to be with me on this one.

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyway, it is a show, it is partially real, but those folks do lose weight.

. . . because they all likely sign a contract that gets them bounced if they don't. I would not be at all surprised if they are not all put through some sort of "pre-camp" where they weed out anybody who obviously is going to fold and embarrass the methods of the "trainers."

BBD

maunahaole
01-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Isn't anyone else pumped that they finally got the sound right for the T-mobile girl's Ducati?

T-mobile girl rules. Pretty sure that she was on a Kawasaki in an older ad.

csm
01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I think the biggest loser is the audience.

boomana
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, my tv broke a few months ago, and I've not been inspired to get a new one since I didn't watch it much anyway, so I haven't seen the show. Per my hairdresser (I'm a gal), however, who also is a trainer at 24-hour Fitness, they let the contestants come home for the holidays, and one ended up in his class. The contestant told him that they are monitored by docs constantly throughout the day, have very strict dietary guidelines they agree to follow (very low carb, high calorie), and do work out about five hours a day. I don't know if this was one of those guys that was sent home to continue working out or if he got to go back (he couldn't tell him any of that), but apparently he'd lost around 80 pounds.

I do think the show is strictly entertainment, but I also know it genuinely motivates some folks. They actually have Biggest Loser support groups, folks that get together and get the videos and do the diet as outlined, etc. I had a cousin lose around 70 pounds a year or so ago in one of those groups. For what it's worth, there's a lot worse tv on these days.

93legendti
01-07-2013, 08:13 PM

"Michaels 'is not actually a real fitness trainer—she's an actress playing the role of fitness trainer on TV and in a line of popular DVDs.'"

"...As a personal trainer, Michaels uses a blend of strength training techniques with her clients, including kickboxing, yoga, Pilates, plyometrics, and weight training.[3] Michaels holds certifications with the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA), the National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association (NESTA),[4] Kettlebell Concepts, and with the AFPA in nutrition and wellness.[5]
In January 2012, Michaels released a 90-day weight loss program titled Body Revolution. The program features new workouts, meal plans and other personal training regimens...[6]"

And

"...Michaels was the subject of a highly critical October 2010 op-ed piece in the Los Angeles Times. The article claimed Michaels "is not actually a real fitness trainer—she's an actress playing the role of fitness trainer on TV and in a line of popular DVDs" and alleged she had let several of her fitness certifications lapse.[46] Michaels responded by threatening legal action for defamation, stating she had been an active physical trainer for 19 years and that none of her certifications have lapsed.[47] The newspaper published a correction citing her up to date certifications shortly thereafter and no legal action was taken..."

Dave B
01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
. . . because they all likely sign a contract that gets them bounced if they don't. I would not be at all surprised if they are not all put through some sort of "pre-camp" where they weed out anybody who obviously is going to fold and embarrass the methods of the "trainers."

BBD

I think it was season one or two where one dude said screw it and didn't show up at the end cause he only lost like 10 pounds.

Silly

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
. . . and am still certified, and if I had used any of the methods I've seen depicted on this show, particularly the mental cruelty in the name of "motivaton" I would have been fired immediately. Ditto for any other professional club I've had any experience with.

While at work I did have to deal with some misconceptions created by this ridiculous show, with potential clients who came and and either assumed this was the way training was done or had totally unrealistic expectations about methods or how quickly they could achive weight loss.

Safe weight loss involves a steady 2-3 pounds per week at most to be safe. That takes perseverance and most often long term support from someone who knows you can do it and tells you that constantly in a positive, supportive way. It does not involve screaming at clients that they should just give up if they don't "want it enough." :butt:

BBD

BBD

Speaking of "trainers", I suspect the truth is in the vast middle. I have never used a PT, I have talked to some about work and I know people who have and I have seen them at "work" in the various gyms I have been too. Most I have seen are bored, disengaged, and act like they don't care...going through the motions. Frankly, for what they charge I can't say they would be worth the money unless somebody came highly recommended.

Dave B
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Yes, love the 848!

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Speaking of "trainers", I suspect the truth is in the vast middle. I have never used a PT, I have talked to some about work and I know people who have and I have seen them at "work" in the various gyms I have been too. Most I have seen are bored, disengaged, and act like they don't care...going through the motions. Frankly, for what they charge I can't say they would be worth the money unless somebody came highly recommended.

I had co-workers who fit that description exactly. but sad as that sounds, simply being there does have some role in getting people to actually come and do the work. For some it was pretty obviously that they had paid money for it and didn't want to waste it. For others it seemed to be an honor thing. They made an appointment and a commitment to be there and they felt honor-bound to follow through.

There was nothing quite so rewarding as encouraging a client, motivating them through a set or workout where you could honestly tell them "Great job! You did THIS much more than you did last time."

Conversely, there was nothing so discouraging as having a client who was obviously just going through the motions. But since we worked strictly on commission it was difficult to jettison somebody. also hard because they had a signed contract entitling them to a certain number of sessions.

I realized through the 9 months I spent there that some a successful trainer-client relationship can depend very much on personalities and for some clients I just wasn't the right trainer. But for others it was clear to me and other staff that they simply had not made the decision that they really wanted to get better. That may be the type of person that Michaels' drill-instructor type approach works for.

I think a truly complete gym should have a few of both types of trainers and the supervisory person available with the knowledge and training to properly evaluate their personalities and assign them to the trainer who will be able to do the most to assure their success.

Unfortunately, that seems to be lacking at the large majority of clubs I have seen.

BBD

shovelhd
01-07-2013, 09:25 PM

BBD

I have watched the show since the first edition. They sign contracts, but it is the contestants that take care of the slackers by voting them off the show. This season a woman folded after the first gym workout. That is rare. The last stat I saw was that the show has a 60% failure rate, i.e. 60% of the contestants gain back all or most of the weight they showed up with. 40% keep most or all of the weight off. Some contestants wind up working for the Biggest Loser corporate empire, become spokespersons for show advertisers, etc.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2013, 07:42 AM

I think you need to do a little research about military basic training.

They are trying to make soldiers and Marines..it's not in their interest to 'break' anybody or 'mess you up'. They may be civilians when they enter but the military is NOT a slice of civilian-land when you graduate.

Could be wrong but I think in basic training, in the Army or Marine Corps, if you really want to quit, you can.

Not after but I think so in basic.

But this 'reality' show(they are driven by producers/directors..just like all of them), to compare with basic is like apples to zuccini-

ergott
01-08-2013, 07:59 AM

According to your own source:
"Michaels responded by threatening legal action for defamation, stating she had been an active physical trainer for 19 years and that none of her certifications have lapsed. The newspaper published a correction citing her up to date certifications shortly thereafter and no legal action was taken."

cykel
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
The best weight loss program?

Ride 'till you bonk and repeat.....easy!

__________________________________________________ ________

LouDeeter
01-09-2013, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1269869]

Could be wrong but I think in basic training, in the Army or Marine Corps, if you really want to quit, you can.

Not after but I think so in basic.

Unless the Army and USMC have changed recently, the trainee doesn't have an "I want to go home" option. The Army does issue training discharges, but it is usually for other reasons other than just "opting" out.

I like Biggest Loser. Sure, it is television and entertainment, but the principles of diet and exercise are solid. I wish I could get some of the medical evaluations the participants get. They showed some of them last night and will continue to show them as the show progresses--lots of bad livers, diabetes, arterial problems. The techniques of yelling are meant to get the contestants out of the mentality that got them where they are in the first place. Once they get through that, it is all motivation to lose the weight and do the exercises and competitive events. Worth watching, particularly if you or your loved ones are obese. This season is also for the first time focusing on childhood obesity and they have three young people participating periodically, but not in the competition for the "Biggest Loser".