PDA

View Full Version : "The Rules" from Velominati

SpokeValley
01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Words to live by...or try to. Kind of an old post but a nice diversion as I look at a bunch of snow.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Competive Cyclist in their 2012 Year End Awards said that "...these should be handed out with every road bike sale."

Yup.

modernfuturist
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I've always found that I've liked Surly's credo better, but to each his own:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/some_answers_to_just_about_any_bike_forum_post_ive _ever_read

akelman
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I've always found that I've liked Surly's credo better, but to each his own:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/some_answers_to_just_about_any_bike_forum_post_ive _ever_read

I'd not seen that. Like.

goonster
01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Always entertaining, but a lot of it is dumb, and most of the rest is just flat-out wrong.

To wit:

Rule 11: If you are not Sean Kelly, and you actually believe this, then you suck at life.

Rule 23: On most descents, the aero tuck is more efficient than pedaling long before you spin out the 53x11.

Of course there are Rules, but writing them down is wrong-headed to begin with, because it leads to the temptation of getting too specific, which leads to the sin of making too many rules.

And naturally, the list is missing the most important rule of all: rules are meant to be broken*.

(* = at your own risk)

fiamme red
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
In rule #33, the author doesn't understand that "guns" are slang for upper arms, not legs. He probably means "gams."

Anyway, this list is the result of someone having far too much free time on his hands. :)

velotel
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Rules?

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I think if anyone reads them without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, they're missing the point.

Jaq
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I think if anyone reads them without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, they're missing the point.

+1

And yet, puckish trolls aside, the number of ugly internet debates over them is mind-boggling.

lhuerta
01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Always entertaining, but a lot of it is dumb, and most of the rest is just flat-out wrong.

Of course there are Rules, but writing them down is wrong-headed to begin with, because it leads to the temptation of getting too specific, which leads to the sin of making too many rules.

I think you missed the point...the "rules" are a crack at all the dumb practices that are often instituted by newbies to the sport. The underlying point of the entire website is a reminder of cycling's purity and freedom, before the sport was co-opted by nonsensical protocols.

lou

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I think you missed the point...the "rules" are a crack at all the dumb practices that are often instituted by newbies to the sport. The underlying point of the entire website is a reminder of cycling's purity and freedom, before the sport was co-opted by nonsensical protocols.

lou

Except the sock rule, of course.