PDA

View Full Version : OT: National Championship - ROLL TIDE!

bikerboy337
01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Anyone else in here have a dog in the fight tonight? I've actually got two dogs in the fight tonight, but one wins out. One brother went to Notre Dame, the other went to Alabama and my niece is a freshman this year... I went to Boston College, and since we're jealous as all heck of ND ;), I can't root for them... so Roll Tide!

Just spent X-mas in Tuscaloosa and just glad the game is finially here!

Roll Tide!

snah
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Have nephew in the ND marching band and 2 grads from my daughter's high school on the ND team, 1 starting offensive line, so.....GO IRISH!!

malcolm
01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Should be a good game and will come down to the Alabama O line. If they can get their running game going and control the ND defensive front especially that huge quick middle linebacker it's going to be a long day for the irish. I hear that Alabama's center is still not 100%, so that could be telling as the game grinds on.

Matthew
01-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Go Blue!! Hail to the Victors! Can't stand either team. And if Michigan did not turn the ball over on six consecutive drives ND may not even be playing in this game!! Thanks Denard. Should have won by three tochdowns. I know, sour grapes! Should be fun to watch tonight, but think it may get ugly. In favor of Bama.

SamIAm
01-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but from what I have seen Alabama is going to hurt them.

67-59
01-07-2013, 09:10 AM
"A Notre Dame grad will pick his nose to make sure you see his class ring." - Al McGuire

Roll Tide!

holliscx
01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
The old adage is true give Saban a month to prepare for an opponent and they will get their britches whooped.

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but from what I have seen Alabama is going to hurt them.

From what I saw in the SEC title game, I didn't see how ND had a prayer against either team, when they could barely beat Pitt.

Tide rolls, I think.

Climb01742
01-07-2013, 10:29 AM
i'd love to see oregon play either one. and leave them grabbing, and gasping for, air.;)

Doug Fattic
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Yea, I live just 6 or 7 miles north of the Notre Dame stadium so I'll be rooting for the Irish. I've got painting or frame customers or students in my framebuilding classes that are graduates or work for ND. I see their cycling team going by my frame shop from time to time. It is kind of a surprise that they are in the title game because even the South Bend Tribune sports columnists at the beginning of the year expected them to lose at least 3 games and probably more. Almost everybody on their schedule (except Wake Forest and Navy) had the potential to beat them. ND has always had the disadvantage of expecting their team members to be able to read and write and not have felony records and – believe it or not - are expected to attend class and be able to graduate from college without tutors doing their work. So it is kind of a miracle that are playing for the championship. Luck is always involved in an unbeaten record (like the Pitt missed field goal in OT). If the SEC title game had lasted another 15 seconds they would probably be playing a different team.

This area doesn't have all Irish love all the time. I'm just across the state line and the graduates from any of the Michigan or Indiana State universities around here don't waste any affection on Notre Dame. However that doesn't mean they want schools from the perimeter of the country – that feel superior – beat a local team. I didn't like Brian Kelly much in the beginning. He was always yelling red faced with his neck veins popping out when someone made a mistake – like they wouldn't have realized it themselves and screaming at them will make them improve faster. He seems a bit calmer this year. I don't think it is possible to be a more bland person – he can put me to sleep whenever he talks on TV – and have less of a sense of humor. However none of that matters if you have a great winning record.

I don't think the odds are in their favor to win but neither is it out of the question. If they lose most people around here will just shrug. It isn't a life or death struggle and few have their identities wrapped up in the team. I can't think of any of my friends that would care what happened a couple of weeks from now.

malcolm
01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
i'd love to see oregon play either one. and leave them grabbing, and gasping for, air.;)

Oregon couldn't beat Auburn a couple years ago when all auburn had was a quarter back. they woldn't have a prayer against the tide

bikerboy337
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
he was a pretty amazing quarterback... unfortunately I was in Tuscaloosa for Thanksgiving that year and went to the Iron Bowl only to watch Alabama blow a huge 1st half lead... such a cold, dark day...

Smiley
01-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Ouch and Yes I believe that to be the case too :banana:

Climb01742
01-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Oregon couldn't beat Auburn a couple years ago when all auburn had was a quarter back. they woldn't have a prayer against the tide

and alabama couldn't beat texas a+m. buy hey, we're all just speculating. and florida didn't exactly show up against louisville. my real point is...until there's a play-off, who knows how teams could actually play against each other?

malcolm
01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
and alabama couldn't beat texas a+m. buy hey, we're all just speculating. and florida didn't exactly show up against louisville. my real point is...until there's a play-off, who knows how teams could actually play against each other?

I would have included a smiley if I knew how. The Texas AM game was awesome. The only game I've seen Nick Saban coach including Mich state and LSU where they just didn't look prepared.

I'm an LSU alum, so I'm still licking my Clemson wounds. I was at the chick fil a bowl and Clemson's quarterback took some vicious shots and just kept dishing out to short passes and pulled off a great win, although it sucked.

bikinchris
01-07-2013, 05:55 PM

I owuld love to see Oregon play Texas A&M and the winner of THAT game play the winner of ND and Bama.

In other words a PLAYOFF. The only popular sport in the whole world that does not have a playoff is NCAA DIvision I fottball.

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I owuld love to see Oregon play Texas A&M and the winner of THAT game play the winner of ND and Bama.

In other words a PLAYOFF. The only popular sport in the whole world that does not have a playoff is NCAA DIvision I fottball.

Not for too much longer...

zott28
01-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I've always been a fan of anyone playing an SEC team. As a PAC 12 fan, I want any ammo I can use at Thanksgiving verses my SEC love'n cousin. I hate to say it, but Go Irish.

Bruce K
01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
And here I thought we would be talking about CX Nationals ......

:rolleyes:

BK

bikinchris
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM

They are still going to have a beauty pageant, albeit a 4 team beauty pageant. I want to see every conference in a playoff. 17 teams. 12 conference champions and the top 5 ranked teams left. Play one less fluff game and have only one week after the conference championships off before the playoffs happen. The two lowest seeds play while the top seed gets a bye. First round is a home game for the higher seed. Then let the bowl games begin. Then tell everyone to shut up about who is the best team in the NCAA. Leave it on the field.

rugbysecondrow
01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Does anybody know why ND has two number 5 players( QB and middle linebacker te o).

jlwdm
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Too many players. Need to repeat numbers.

Scholarships and rosters have been cut over the years but there always seem to be a lot of players at bowl games. Not sure rules.

I think 85 max during season.

Edit: I just found a roster online for ND that showed over 100 players.

Jeff

fourflys
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
The only good think about the Irish getting stomped is it shows clearly what a joke the BCS is.... After watching them play tonight, there is no way they would have made it here in a playoff system...

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
The only good think about the Irish getting stomped is it shows clearly what a joke the BCS is.... After watching them play tonight, there is no way they would have made it here in a playoff system...

It took a miracle for them to beat Pitt at home.

Why anyone thought they should be here is beyond me.

Chance
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM

You think size, strength and speed matters?:rolleyes:

Win-loss records alone don't mean much if quality of opponents isn't taken into account. Yet we go through this every other year for lack of a better system. Don't know; maybe ND will come back and make a game of it with a couple of quick scores, but it seems highly unlikely the way they are getting physically dominated.

My sister is a ND grad and it's hard to listen to her talk about how great ND is. And her husband, who didn't attend school there, is even worse.

bikerboy337
01-07-2013, 10:57 PM
That was fun folks! I'm sure espn isn't thrilled with the ratings, but Brent sure was thrilled with mccarrons girl... Dirty old man

rwsaunders
01-07-2013, 11:19 PM
it took a miracle for them to beat pitt at home.

+1.

Doug Fattic
01-08-2013, 12:00 AM
It took a miracle for them to beat Pitt at home.

Well Notre Dame was in the BCS because they didn't lose a single game like all the other teams did. You are being very selective in using the Pitt game to illustrate ND's season. They played a lot of teams that were ranked at the time. USC started the season ranked #1. They beat Oklahoma in their stadium. Stanford isn't considered by most to be a bunch of losers. Michigan and Michigan State are always tough and were ranked when ND played them. Purdue gets up for ND like it is a bowl game. Miami may not be the national powerhouse it once was but schools don't put them on their schedules to pad their win record. Boston College is always capable of being a spoiler. BYU is a traditionally strong team. When I watched many of these games, the ND defense seemed to be able to stop anything all the time. Tonight they couldn't tackle anybody like they were covered in vaseline. They either lost their ability or Alabama plays on some different level.

Since I don't get cable I had to go to one of those mega churches that has a 48 foot screen which is surrounded by 4 others. In the lobby were many other giant TVs. It was in South Bend so there was only one person cheering for Alabama. She made about the only noise all night. It was like a morgue. Almost everyone had left by the end of the 3rd quarter. I didn't stick around either.

fourflys
01-08-2013, 12:38 AM
You think size, strength and speed matters?:rolleyes:

Win-loss records alone don't mean much if quality of opponents isn't taken into account. Yet we go through this every other year for lack of a better system. Don't know; maybe ND will come back and make a game of it with a couple of quick scores, but it seems highly unlikely the way they are getting physically dominated.

My sister is a ND grad and it's hard to listen to her talk about how great ND is. And her husband, who didn't attend school there, is even worse.

Agree.. I'm a ND guy, but they just weren't on the level of play Bama was...

bironi
01-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Well Notre Dame was in the BCS because they didn't lose a single game like all the other teams did. You are being very selective in using the Pitt game to illustrate ND's season. They played a lot of teams that were ranked at the time. USC started the season ranked #1. They beat Oklahoma in their stadium. Stanford isn't considered by most to be a bunch of losers. Michigan and Michigan State are always tough and were ranked when ND played them. Purdue gets up for ND like it is a bowl game. Miami may not be the national powerhouse it once was but schools don't put them on their schedules to pad their win record. Boston College is always capable of being a spoiler. BYU is a traditionally strong team. When I watched many of these games, the ND defense seemed to be able to stop anything all the time. Tonight they couldn't tackle anybody like they were covered in vaseline. They either lost their ability or Alabama plays on some different level.

Since I don't get cable I had to go to one of those mega churches that has a 48 foot screen which is surrounded by 4 others. In the lobby were many other giant TVs. It was in South Bend so there was only one person cheering for Alabama. She made about the only noise all night. It was like a morgue. Almost everyone had left by the end of the 3rd quarter. I didn't stick around either.

Doug,
That just sounds depressing. I'd at least like to drink a beer while watching.
Byron

changes2008
01-08-2013, 05:57 AM

Starting next year, right?

malcolm
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Alabama plays on a different level. ND had never played a team with an O line like Alabama. Barret Jones manhandled the ND middle guard/linebacker all night. The SEC is just a different caliber conference for what ever reason. I think 7 straight national championships says something. Nick Saban is also an incredible coach and always prepared to the nth degree. ND couldn't tackle because they were being beat up all night.

Kudos to the ND coach and players that were interviewed. The most gracious guys I've seen in a long time especially the players at their age in the given situation their grace in defeat was commendable.

Chance
01-08-2013, 06:53 AM
They either lost their ability or Alabama plays on some different level.

This. On average the top teams in the SEC presently do play at a different level. The best of the best players (again on average) go there to play because it’s where they stand the greatest chance to stand out in order to move up to the pros.

Two “facts” to consider. How many Championships has the SEC won lately? The level of dominance doesn’t happen by chance unless they play at a higher level on average. Secondly, what was the point spread for the game? Even though ND was ranked first, people who put their money where their mouth is expected Alabama to beat ND by a significant score. If people actually thought ND was better as suggested by their higher ranking the point spread would have been the other way around. Rankings alone, however, don’t fool gamblers very often.

Teams are only as good as their opponents allow them to be on that given day. They still need to play it out on the field because the most talented teams don’t always win, which makes it interesting. In head-to-head competition there is always some level of “chance” (call it luck if you want) that influences the outcome. Having said that, overwhelming talent is hard to overcome.

oldpotatoe
01-08-2013, 07:49 AM
They are still going to have a beauty pageant, albeit a 4 team beauty pageant. I want to see every conference in a playoff. 17 teams. 12 conference champions and the top 5 ranked teams left. Play one less fluff game and have only one week after the conference championships off before the playoffs happen. The two lowest seeds play while the top seed gets a bye. First round is a home game for the higher seed. Then let the bowl games begin. Then tell everyone to shut up about who is the best team in the NCAA. Leave it on the field.

Another reason to let college football players 'major' in football.

Pay them, let them play football..if they want to take classes in other fields, they can.

ala baseball minor league system.

FlashUNC
01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Starting next year, right?

2014. This coming year will be the last under the current system.

dogdriver
01-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I've long held that the BCS and the Electoral College are the two dumbest things American. The 2000 election provided proof as to the idiocy of the EC, last night made the latest case for the BCS. Hoping for a 16 team tournament,will have to settle for four in a couple years...

MattTuck
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I watched the start of this game. Seemed like the refs botched two calls (ruling an incomplete pass and interfering with a fair catch) against Notre Dame. They tried another one (the fumble turn over) but were reversed by replay. I stopped watching after that.

I think the game was fixed from the get go.

FlashUNC
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I watched the start of this game. Seemed like the refs botched two calls (ruling an incomplete pass and interfering with a fair catch) against Notre Dame. They tried another one (the fumble turn over) but were reversed by replay. I stopped watching after that.

Yes. The refs told Notre Dame not to tackle.

Manti Te'o got totally dominated all night by a guy who's going in for ligament surgery on his foot on Wednesday. Lacy and Yelton broke I don't know how many tackles.

Golson overthrew how many receivers?

But you're right. Two bad calls at the start of the game turned it into a 35-0 laugher.

LegendRider
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Musburger interviewed a former ref who said the fair catch call was correct. He made a good case based on the written rule.

Louis
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Musburger interviewed a former ref who said the fair catch call was correct. He made a good case based on the written rule.

Musberger was way distracted during that game, so I wouldn't trust anything he said.

MattTuck
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM

My comment was tongue in cheek, I don't think it was rigged. Although, I wouldn't be surprised...

It was a technically correct call, but pretty questionable in my opinion.
video of it. (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/7/3848952/bcs-national-championship-fair-catch-interference-notre-dame-alabama)

LegendRider
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
My comment was tongue in cheek, I don't think it was rigged. Although, I wouldn't be surprised...

It was a technically correct call, but pretty questionable in my opinion.
video of it. (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/7/3848952/bcs-national-championship-fair-catch-interference-notre-dame-alabama)

Agree. If it was a correct call, the rule stinks...

akelman
01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Musberger was way distracted during that game, so I wouldn't trust anything he said.

Heh. My 10-year-old was pretty freaked out when Musberger starting perving on McCarron's girlfriend.

djg
01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Heh. My 10-year-old was pretty freaked out when Musberger starting perving on McCarron's girlfriend.

Jeeze, yeah, somebody put a leash on that senior citizen. There's that fine line that exists somewhere in between noticing and appreciating and drooling over the restraining order, because she asked for the restraining order, and Bret lost sight of the line quite a few miles from the noticing end of the spectrum.

I had no dog in the fight. I attended an undergraduate college, then a grad school, and then many years later a law school. None of the three is ND or Bama -- and it'd be a miracle if any of them appeared in next year's BCS championship game. I guess the closest affiliation I've had with a contender came through teaching at Penn State in the '90s, but I taught at the medical school, which is not in State College, and frankly I didn't feel all that much kinship with the football program even before it became a recognized national disgrace. I've always had a slight irrational bias against ND -- nothing against the university, attended by several people I know, but there at least used to be a sort of widespread notion that the ND football team was special that rubbed me the wrong way. So I was kinda rooting for Alabama.