PDA

View Full Version : Road bikes and dirt trails:ill advised?

dd74
01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
There are some fire trails and unpaved road near where I live, but am hesitant to take my road bike on them. Given that, I thought I'd ask the forum if anyone rides their road bike on more or less off road surfaces. And if possible could you tell me the frame material your road bike that you "off road" is made of?

Thx.

stev0
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
this may be cheating, but...

I've got a steel (TT OX Platinum) disc cx that I've spent a lot of time on with 25c road tires (Conti GP 4000s). During that time, I've gone through rain, sleet, mud, cobbles, loose gravel, some sandy trails, and even some light snow. Sure, there have been some tricky moments (slippage!) and I've gone through my fair share of flats.. but more on the road than off-road, tbh. A few spills going uphill in mud or trying to ride through water too deep, but otherwise, being off-road just kinda keeps you on your feet and keeps things fun.

I once went for about 3 mi on a rocky dirt path riding a full-carbon road bike and felt nervous as hell, but after the above experience, it might have been unwarranted anxiousness. However, the steel is definitely more of a plush ride on hard terrain (I'm sure this isn't news to anyone).

I'd say go for it and have some fun.

bargainguy
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I seem to remember a Bicycling mag article a few years back where the author was claiming it's not only doable but a lot less scary than people might think.

I don't remember whatever conclusions that article came to, but in my mind, I'd be a lot more worried about wheels than the frame offroad - trashing hubs, rims, spokes, you name it. Unless you're talking really thin-walled steel frames taking a high impact, I don't know that your frame would suffer as much as the wheels.

Anybody here give it a try and really mess up a frame or wheelset?

54ny77
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
i've ridden just about all of my road bike(s) on all manner of crap roads. that includes fancier carbon bikes too (on the latter, the downtube has clear frame protecting tape to give a little piece of mind in the event of nasty rocks/pebbles). just use strong wheels, you'll be fine.

well, unless you're ~250+lbs, then use really strong wheels. i'm close to 200, and ride the usual 3x, alu. box rims, brass nipples, yadda yadda.

don't be afraid, enjoy mixing it up!

David Kirk
01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
i've ridden just about all of my road bike(s) on all manner of crap roads. that includes fancier carbon bikes too (on the latter, the downtube has clear frame protecting tape to give a little piece of mind in the event of nasty rocks/pebbles). just use strong wheels, you'll be fine.

well, unless you're ~250+lbs, then use really strong wheels. i'm close to 200, and ride the usual 3x, alu. box rims, brass nipples, yadda yadda.

don't be afraid, enjoy mixing it up!

I completely agree. These things are much tougher than most would expect and will stand up to much more than rolling down a smooth road. Tires are the things that take the real abuse when riding off road so just make sure you aren't using a super light tire and have fun. You will learn a lot from riding on a variable surface and have a good time.

I use my road bike with Enve wheels on dirt roads and smooth single track all the time and doing so really opens up your routes for daily rides.

Have fun and don't worry. Ride hard, ride lots, ride everywhere.

Dave

velotel
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Given that, I thought I'd ask the forum if anyone rides their road bike on more or less off road surfaces. And if possible could you tell me the frame material your road bike that you "off road" is made of?
Regularly, no problem. 25mm tires, currently Vittoria Pave, frame Eriksen ti. Been riding non-paved roads for years. Good fun.

pdmtong
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
there is typically no glass on dirt roads- much safer in a way
if it gets sketchy, just walk. nbd

air down your tires to 100-105

dd74
01-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Wow, I'm glad I asked this question. And yes, I do want to mix it up a bit. My frame, however, is the Serotta Couer d' Acier. With carbon stays and fork, and the Columbus Spirit tubing, do you guys think it'd be up to the task? I weigh about 160# btw. Oh, yeah, I forgot the bike has Campy EPS.

carpediemracing
01-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I used to do (hold and ride) a fun ride we called Shartkozawa (http://carpediemracing.org/shart_map2006.html) (if you go to other links you need to remove the "www." at the beginning of the URL). It was a short loop with some dirt roads. Although the first year a guy did it on a mountain bike we found that road bikes worked fine and pretty much everyone used road bikes from then on. Even cross bikes were overkill.

I used to train on those roads with no special prep, 23c clinchers or 21 mm tubulars, whatever frame (aluminum, carbon, mix), whatever wheels (box clinchers, box tubulars, Spinergy Rev X tubulars, Specialized TriSpoke aka HED 3 clinchers or tubulars). I never flatted on those roads and in fact flats were very uncommon in our winter event.

The dirt roads are harsh enough that during a rally inspired practice session I broke 2 of 3 engine mounts in my GTI driving over the exact same dirt roads, hitting a max speed of 70 mph and generally going about 40-50 mph.

The key is to let the bike do what it wants (bikes stay upright pretty well on their own if they're moving forward and if you let it bounce around under you the bike isn't absorbing all the impacts), keep it in the big ring (less chain slap, you won't rip your rear derailleur off), avoid big rocks and big potholes (they'll destroy your wheel), and go fast (to help deal with bumps). It seemed to me that going fast avoided many impact problems because the bike got into a rumbly harmonic, versus porpoising up and down over bumps and such. It's the same thing as riding on cobbles but on cobbles you really can't ride at the "inbetween" speeds, like between 12 or 15 mph and 28 mph (I forget the two speed ranges that worked for me but that's about right). On dirt roads you can ride at less than optimal speed and you won't feel like the bike's trying to eject you.

esldude
01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Had a Lemond Reno on 23 mm Serfas tires. Used to ride a bit of fire road around a quarry. Some fair part of it had these large slag covered roads. The rest was either grass or sand. I often rode a MTB on it. Once when the Lemond was in my truck and I wanted to ride decided I would try the quarry loop. Heck, it worked out fine. Even on the slag covered portions. I used it on such a good many times after that when it was what I had with me.

Mostly, it didn't work if it was shortly after a heavy rain in the softer grass and sandy areas. No harm, just hard pedaling as you sunk in pretty good. I also did do some gentle downslope fire roads criss crossed with small tree roots. I went pretty slow, as obviously a narrow tire at speed on that was asking for trouble. But even that was taken better than I expected.

After that, I didn't worry much about most roads. And when I was a kid, I rode on whatever with whatever though it was long ago. Shouldn't really have been surprised. In fact, I had more flats per/mile with the MTB than the road bike and those were at about the same speed. The light and lively character of the road bike made it more enjoyable than the MTB.

AngryScientist
01-07-2013, 05:55 AM
let me put it this way: i've seen plenty of dirt roads that were easier on me and my bike than some of the "roads" in the NYC area.

it's no problem, and can be lots of fun.

CF bike, CF (spoked) wheels:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-emqFJy_C0TA/UB3BnZn-znI/AAAAAAAAAmU/gO7tgh33Axc/s640/IMG_0865.JPG

shovelhd
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Quite a few of the road races in the Northeast have dirt sections. Almost everyone is riding a road bike, carbon, aluminum or steel. Like Dave says, the tires, and secondarily, the wheels, are the things to be concerned about. That and your butt. :)

happycampyer
01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
The CdA is fine and more than up to the task—many people ride road bikes at D2R2, Batttenkill, etc., which have plenty of gravel and dirt roads. One of the biggest issues imo is going to be tire clearance. While not essential, wider tires inflated to lower pressures will make riding on gravel and dirt much more enjoyable. You'll definitely be able to fit 25 mm tires, and some 27 mm tires may fit, but others won't (a lot depends on the fork, chainstay length, brakes, etc. in question). And, as other's have said, sturdy wheels are recommended.

nighthawk
01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
The only advice I can offer beyond what has already been said is to learn to soften your grip when descending dirt/gravel roads. Let the front of bike take the vibrations, let your hands and arms float on top. Your wrists will appreciate it.

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Definitely.

I've taken my Time VXR on a couple impromptu dirt road rides (unexpected road closures and we had to navigate our way around) and it handled it like a champ.

verticaldoug
01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
If a road bike can survive flying across the cobbles of Paris Roubaix at 25+ in the pro peloton, it can survive dirt roads. If you ever look at some of the old mountain stages from pre-war TdF, those roads were pretty nasty looking. Modern gear is probably a lot tougher except for some of the ultralight carbon frames.

I regularly ride the OCA which is dirt trail here. It is nice and refreshing to do a ride and not get honked/yelled at. If you can find single track without large tree roots and rocks, you will have a great time.

zennmotion
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Aside from clearance for adequate tire width, my only concern would be for flying stones nicking up carbon tubes- I'd put some helicopter tape around the underside of the DT, BB area and under the chain stays. But then, this is my own phobia and the main reason I prefer metal frames, and even steel forks if the bike is going to see a lot of loose gravel, but for the occasional rough section or ride I wouldn't worry about it.

christian
01-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Do not ride North Todd Road at 20 mph on 22mm Continental Competition tubulars though. You will have to call your wife if you double-puncture. She will be annoyed and you will have to take the children for ice cream.

I hear.

No seriously, riding road bikes on dirt roads is the most fun thing there is. I rode D2R2 this year on my Merckx and I try to throw in some dirt on every ride.

John Price
01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Years back, when I lived in Lincoln, Nebr I would ride my Merlin on dirt trails. I was riding on Mavic GEL280s with Vitt. Corsa sewups. Really had no problems to speak of. In fact, got more flats on the paved roads.

These days, we live in Colorado. I ride more plenty of gravel and dirt on my home built (lugged steel) with Panaracer Paselas - great all around tires for road and trail use.

Don't worry about your frame material... just go out and give it a try. Experiment with what tires to use (ask any locals who do the same sort of riding). And most of all have fun. Trail riding on a road bike is fun and the look you get from mtbers can be quite comical.

happycampyer
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Do not ride North Todd Road at 20 mph on 22mm Continental Competition tubulars though. You will have to call your wife if you double-puncture. She will be annoyed and you will have to take the children for ice cream.

I hear.

No seriously, riding road bikes on dirt roads is the most fun thing there is. I rode D2R2 this year on my Merckx and I try to throw in some dirt on every ride.yes, but this year you're going to be riding my Strada Bianca ti after I sell it to you. ;)

jmoore
01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Come ride some of the awful chip seal we have in NTx. The fire roads will seem like heaven compared to those.

54ny77
01-07-2013, 09:25 AM
N Todd is fun.

In the words of Johnny Dangerously, I made mistake of bombing down Hunt Lane once without having been on it. Once....

:bike:

I hear.

No seriously, riding road bikes on dirt roads is the most fun thing there is. I rode D2R2 this year on my Merckx and I try to throw in some dirt on every ride.

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Come ride some of the awful chip seal we have in NTx. The fire roads will seem like heaven compared to those.

Yeah, this is kind of my sentiment too. The bike will be able to handle all sorts of dirt and gravel roads, but don't just ride on such roads to get dirt road respect... there are nice dirt roads that are sometimes smoother than pavement that are well packed and graded, and there are bone rattling dirt roads that have no socially redeeming qualities, are loose (dangerous) and hide spoke snapping holes in the mid-day shadows of the overhead foliage.

My point is, there are a ton of great roads out there, so don't waste your time on dirt unless it is pleasurable. Your prostate will cry uncle long before your bike.

559Rando
01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
May I suggest we read some vintage Chris Kostman:

Mountain Bikes: Who Needs Them?
An Inveterate Roadie Provides a Techno-Backlashian Perspective (http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/whoneedsatb.html)

I routinely dust every mountain biker I encounter on the trail. And I ride a road bike.

Furthermore, I think, no, I know, the mountain bike is the most over-rated, most improperly used, most over-built, and most greedily promoted piece of hardware to hit the sport and fitness industry in modern history. Ninety-nine percent of the miles ridden by 99% of the mountain bikes could, and should, be ridden on the first and only real all terrain bike, the 'road bike.' More bluntly, a road bike is equal to or better than a mountain bike if ridden with skill like I have.

Blasphemy, you say? Don't think you could possibly ride off pavement without monster knobbies, suspension, enough titanium for an ICBM, and enough gears for at least two whole bikes? Don't be a trained parrot by thinking this and don't let the greedy hawkers control your thoughts and your pocket-book! Simply put, invest in some skills, some style, some finesse, and some balls (girls included), not more over-hyped bike junk.

Read it, learn it, and live it: 'Technique beats technology any time, anywhere.' And that's what I deadpan to every nimwit mountain biker who asks me how I managed to blow him away without tweaking my wheels and cracking my frame.

And before you write in that I'm just some elitist roadie with a penchant for ATB-bashing, let me offer my credentials for having a credo worth splashing across this page: I've raced the Alaskan Iditabike three times and have set solo and tandem 24 Hour off-road cycling records. Off-dirt I've raced the Race Across America twice (9th in '87), two Ironmans, and broken numerous distance records, including San Francisco to Los Angeles. Importantly, I practice what I preach.

And guess what? For 99% of the riding I do off-road, I'll opt for a 'road bike' over a 'mountain bike' any day of the week. And while much of my off-roading is on fire roads (like 99% of you, as you too live in metropolitan areas where single track is banned or non-existent), my dirt rides include gnarly tree roots, sand, gravel, exposed rock slab, insane uphills and downhills, and other 'challenging surface irregularities.' The trick is that I know how to ride and I don't separate myself from the riding surface with a bunch of unnecessary technology.

You see, unlike most cyclists, I can distinguish between 'want' and 'need' when it comes to choosing equipment for my daily training and adventure excursions. I also have a healthy enough ego that I don't need to try to outdo the next guy or gal by having the latest gimmicky bike gear. (Beauty is only skin-deep, but studly goes all the way to the bone.) By the way, I almost never get a flat and I've never needed to true my trusty Wheelsmith wheels.

Here's why you should park your mountain bike at least some of the time and start venturing out on skinny tyres. If you don't have a road bike to do this, then at least install 1.15' or 1.25' slicks or inverted tread tyres and set your derailleurs so you can't use the wimp ring (granny gear) or the cogs bigger than 23 teeth. (By the way, these tyres, along with bar ends and multi-position bars, clipless pedals, not to mention whole ATBs that weigh only 20 to 25 pounds, are all evidence that mountain bikes are techno overkill. These are simply efforts to roadify the mountain bike!)

10 reasons to get skinny in the dirt
You'll get used to a little slip and slide under your tyres; then when you hit the pavement or return to the trail with knobbies you'll be astounded by the traction and confidence you suddenly command.
You'll be forced to actually pay attention to your line, thus developing better seeing skills and eye-body coordination.
This forced attention span will educate you immeasurably about trail surfaces, sands, soils, erosion, even geology, flora, and fauna. In other words, you'll learn to ride with the land, not over it.
Your skinny tyres will leave less of an imprint and impact on the trails.
You'll marvel at how much faster you can ride on flats, rollers, and most uphills, compared to your full-blown ATB, once you shed all that excess weight, rolling resistance, and weird positioning. I.E., you'll dust the fat tyre 'flyers' like I do all the time.
You'll realize that you really can soak up the bumps and dramatically alter your bike's riding characteristics on demand, rather than having your suspension (try to) do it all for you. This is called Body English and it's about time that you really became fluent, rather than only packing a few token phrases like some 'Ugly American' tourist.
You'll discover that there's more to the fun factor than seeing how fast you can blast a downhill in a park overflowing with hikers, equestrians, and forest rangers. In so doing, you'll dramatically increase our common survival potential in a world that abhors the mountain bike and all its connotations.
Gone will be the days that it's a total drag, literally, to ride to and from the trail head. No longer will you be smoked by the roadies while plodding the pavement, nor will you pollute the ecosphere by driving to the trail head anymore.
You'll actually have the nerve to venture down a trail that you discover while out road riding. In fact, you'll quit even thinking of 'road rides' or 'dirt rides.' A ride's a ride and a bike's a bike. It's what you make of them that counts.
Finally, you'll learn once and for all that technology is a crutch, not an asset, and that it truly detracts from your life experience on and off the bike.

Here you have it, my friends. Take off the blinders and see the truth in what I have presented to you here. Become great cyclists and develop skills that you won't believe. Then when you do that 1% of your cycling that actually requires a 'real ATB' (say, Slick Rock or Pearl Pass), you'll have the skills to accompany and match all that over-priced technology beneath you.

Get skinny. I dare you!

gregj
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
In addition to Kostman, google Tom Ritchey and Jobst Brandt and look at the amazing photos. They were riding road bikes in the hills in NorCal before mtbs were the rage.

For example: http://ildolore.cc/post/35496194414/tom-ritchey-and-jobst-brandt-in-the-80-s-around

GRAVELBIKE
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Don't do it.
No good will come of it. ;)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8082/8268281310_4a04ef5d78.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/8268281310/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8477/8247693881_7fa96d634d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/8247693881/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8205/8205876463_6f5db8e904.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/justridingalong/8205876463/)

Wilkinson4
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
In addition to Kostman, google Tom Ritchey and Jobst Brandt and look at the amazing photos. They were riding road bikes in the hills in NorCal before mtbs were the rage.

For example: http://ildolore.cc/post/35496194414/tom-ritchey-and-jobst-brandt-in-the-80-s-around

Thanks for that. I was looking for those photos last night so I could post but I never booked marked them. I ride wide clinchers on the rough tuff, but that is just a prefernce - not a requirement.

mIKE

roguedog
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
As said by everyone else's "Do it.". Riding on dirt n gravel was really some the most fun I had riding last year.

Ken Robb
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
air down your tires to 100-105

I would have to air UP from my usual 90-95psi in 700x25-27 tires.:)

Ken Robb
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
yes, but this year you're going to be riding my Strada Bianca ti after I sell it to you. ;)

I have one too with the YBB rear end and it is a fabulous ride off pavement with 700x25-37 tires.

1/2 Wheeler
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
There are some fire trails and unpaved road near where I live, but am hesitant to take my road bike on them. Given that, I thought I'd ask the forum if anyone rides their road bike on more or less off road surfaces. And if possible could you tell me the frame material your road bike that you "off road" is made of?

Thx.

I found the question odd given you signature line.

All said so far is very true. Your road bike is more than stout enough to handle damn near anything you can throw at it. They are not nearly as breakable as the average roadie thinks.

That said, if you are planning a dirt/fire road ride and you have the option of riding a bike with fatter tires, do so.

It is simply more fun.

umami
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
You are the most fragile part of your bike, by far.

http://youtu.be/7ZmJtYaUTa0

dd74
01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I found the question odd given you signature line.
Well, there's "refusing to baby" and then there's abuse. :)

monkeybanana86
01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
I discovered dirt last year and rode plenty on my road bike before getting the "right" bikes. Going up (as long as it's not super steep or super loose) and on flat sections, of course, is no problem. Just got slower downhill and, like someone mentioned, if you don't feel confident on a section just walk it. Even with the right bike I find that sometimes I have to just suck it up and dismount. Personally I found it fun to see how far I could push skinny 23s. Oh and watch for wet tree roots those things can get slippery!

David Kirk
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
FWIW - the rides around Bozeman very often have at least one section of dirt and if you want more, a lot more, you can easily find it. I will often leave the house and ride a few miles of paved road before getting onto the dirt and then will be on dirt for as long as i want within reason. There are short sections of pavement that link the dirt sections but the ride be be great the whole way :)

It's good to see that more and more folks are discovering the 'other roads' they have available to them. It's fun and in most cases scenic and there is usually very little traffic to deal with. One thing that is nice on these dirt back roads is that when you meet traffic it's most often in a one on one way and drivers seem to be much more considerate. In fact I'd say that 95% of the folks I see in cars on my dirt roads wave to me........and I wave back. It feels good. Interestingly once you get out on the pavement the waving stops.

Enjoy the 'other' roads and don't worry about your stuff.........it will just get dusty but you will smile - a lot.

Have fun.

Dave

Wilkinson4
01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
In fact I'd say that 95% of the folks I see in cars on my dirt roads wave to me........and I wave back. It feels good.

My experience as well Dave... They give me room, they wave or nod... I have had to yield the road to an occasional cattle drive though:ie
mIKE

MattTuck
01-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Dave,

What're your thoughts on protecting the bottom of the down tube and bottom bracket and chain stays? I know that around here, lots of loose rocks get bounced up and I hear them pinging off my frame.

Anything you can do as a builder/painter to extend the longevity of paint in those conditions?

David Kirk
01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Dave,

What're your thoughts on protecting the bottom of the down tube and bottom bracket and chain stays? I know that around here, lots of loose rocks get bounced up and I hear them pinging off my frame.

Anything you can do as a builder/painter to extend the longevity of paint in those conditions?

In the summer I'll bet I ride on dirt about 4 days a week and as unlikely as it sounds I've never had a serious paint or denting issue. I've gotten small pock marks but never chips, scratches or gouges or dents. So.....because of this I've never done anything to protect the paint on my personal bikes and they look great even after years of hard use.

I think if I were motivated to do something I'd go to a detail or paint/autobody shop and get some clearbra material and place pieces in areas of concern. Most of this stuff is easy to apply and comes off pretty easily. You should be able to buy scraps for wicked cheap.

Or.......as blasphemous as it might sound........just ride it. It may not look perfect after A LOT of dirt road use and one could consider it to be 'patina' and battle scars one can be proud of. I love a nice clean and tidy bike and I keep my bikes looking nice. But these are very durable and sturdy machines that will put up with a lot more than most folks will ever put them through.

I hope that helps.

dave

David Kirk
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
My experience as well Dave... They give me room, they wave or nod... I have had to yield the road to an occasional cattle drive though:ie
mIKE

I was riding one of my favorite dirt roads not from from the house and saw something in the road VERY far ahead and could tell what it was. As I got closer I could see that it was moving toward me and taking up the entire width of the road and both shoulders all the way to the gutters. When I got closer still I saw that a guy was herding goats, hundreds of goats, down the road to another pasture. I stopped and they just worked around me and rubbed up against me as they passed.

It was great to watch how the group moved and how the dogs controlled the herd. It was really fun and special. I hope I can do it again. The guy running the herd got a real kick out of the lycra bike guy surrounded by countless goats.

Good fun on the back roads.

dave

Lovetoclimb
01-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Just today I rode this (http://app.strava.com/segments/747180), all gravel and dirt, some of the switchbacks are especially nasty and loose. It is part of the local epic mountain bike race ORAMM, but I have done it several times on the road bike now. Cannondale Supersix with wheels I built myself, Velocity A23s 32 spoke 3x and Vittoria Pave 24c tyres. Never had a flat or issue. Probably running 95 and 100 psi. So I say do it you will have a blast that fat outweighs the rough times.

VA-Scooter
01-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I like taking road bikes off road so much that my dream bike changed totally. I always wanted a real fast road racing bike but I finally realized that I will never be real fast. I had a titanium cross bike built with Ultegra Di2 & disc brakes. I could not be happier-It does everything-swap tires around & it will do one thing better than the other but it does not really seem to matter. CX tires or road tires I take it everywhere I want to go.

djg21
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I was riding one of my favorite dirt roads not from from the house and saw something in the road VERY far ahead and could tell what it was. As I got closer I could see that it was moving toward me and taking up the entire width of the road and both shoulders all the way to the gutters. When I got closer still I saw that a guy was herding goats, hundreds of goats, down the road to another pasture. I stopped and they just worked around me and rubbed up against me as they passed.

It was great to watch how the group moved and how the dogs controlled the herd. It was really fun and special. I hope I can do it again. The guy running the herd got a real kick out of the lycra bike guy surrounded by countless goats.

dave

When I lived in the Rockies, I'd frequently do an MTB ride to the top of a mountain where a couple of Mexican shepherds kept their herd. They had a small shed near the summit that they camped in. I got to know the shepherds and their dogs after a while, and would bring up dog treats. The shepherds would regularly have food and beer waiting for me. This made the downhill especially challenging. Boy do I miss the west.

David Kirk
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
When I lived in the Rockies, I'd frequently do an MTB ride to the top of a mountain where a couple of Mexican shepherds kept their herd. They had a small shed near the summit that they camped in. I got to know the shepherds and their dogs after a while, and would bring up dog treats. The shepherds would regularly have food and beer waiting for me. This made the downhill especially challenging. Boy do I miss the west.

Perfect.

Dave

Bkat
01-09-2013, 09:05 AM
I'd take riding with a herd of sheep in the Rockies over riding with cars in the city any day!

charliedid
01-09-2013, 09:26 AM

dave

Awesome

Touring New Zealand by bike this happens all the time, but with sheep.

Love that stuff.

Stinkydub
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I rode my Salsa Casseroll (my steel commuter) w 28s and fenders in Panther Valley near Highlands NC last weekend - basically MTB /hiking / horse trails in the Nantahla / Pisgah National Forrest area.

abelson
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Go for it. I really enjoy underbiking. You can do quite a bit with a road bike on trails, espescially if the bike can take a little fatter tire.

Brucer
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
We do a lot of road-bike riding on gravel. Better riding, actually, fewer cars and some interesting moments on ice. I agree that strong tires help. I use Vittoria Rubino Pros.

gavingould
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
i've ridden a Specialized Tarmac on dirt/gravel roads quite a few miles. your wheels are going to take most of the beating, unless you're crashing.
my cyclocross/gravel race bike is carbon too. and i'm around 225lbs.