PDA

View Full Version : Broken Easton Seatpost

roadie7
10-29-2005, 05:45 AM
While riding home yesterday, my Easton seatpost broke so I walked the last half mile. It's the seatpost with the carbon top and the rest of the seatpost is aluminum. The seatpost is now stuck in the seattube so I'm taking it to the shop I bought the bike and they said they could remove it. I weigh about 160 so I don't think I'm too heavy. I was wondering if anyone here had the same problem and if Easton replaced the seatpost (it's a little over 1 year old).

Thanks.

Serotta PETE
10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Do not know of any problems with seat post breakage.

Would suggest you have your dealer call EASTON and see about a warranty exchage. With a post that new, I would think that would want the old one back to look at and would also want to keep you as a customer.

GregL
10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
I know of two Easton EC70 seatpost failures. Both happened within a few week's span, one at a crit and one on a training ride. Neither failure happened during a crash, although I do not know if either failed post was previously damaged. There was quite a bit of discussion about this on my local club's e-mail list. I will ask some acquaintences if they know where the failures occurred on the posts (e.g., at the head, where the post inserted in the frame, etc...).

I would contact Easton and see if they will warranty the post. I know that carbon posts are becoming more common, but I still have my reservations about their use.

Regards,
Greg

Brian Cdn
04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I would return it to your LBS. Easton warranties their posts from breakage etc... for 3 or 5 years ( can't remember).

I have recently replaced my EC90 full carbon post that was over a year old. The seat clamp kept slipping. Post was replaced with a brand new one..

Replacement should not be an issue

B. Cdn

Louis
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Not to be snarky, Brian, but he's probably dealt with it by now... :)

pdmtong
04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Curious as to how it broke? snapola? crack? warning? I would personally appreicate any details since I have an EC70. www.mtbr.com documents a history of JRA failures but I have not had any issues with mine (yet)

huey
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
call veltec, easton's distributor. they'll give you an RA#. within a week or so, you should have a new post.

rustychisel
04-08-2008, 12:59 AM
Brian was indicating a check of the date of original post... :beer:

chuckred
04-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I was worried there was a whole slew of broken posts and was ready to go check mine - then realized I've already ridden it for another 21/2 years. Another crisis averted (or pending?)

Ahneida Ride
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Replace with a Thompson ... for safety's sake ;)

znfdl
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Replace with a Thompson ... for safety's sake ;)

+1 or a bold www.boldprecision.com

Fixed
04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
the best
Suntour Superbe
imho
cheers

chrisroph
04-08-2008, 10:09 AM
ritchey
thomson
oval