PDA

View Full Version : Dear Campy

nighthawk
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the cable housing kit with the rear derailleur cable housing too short for my average sized frame. I appreciate that you supply a little picture of what my cable housing should look like.... But with the housing you provide it looks like the "No" picture... And the shifting is inadequate. I guess I'll go to my LBS tomorrow and buy jagwire housing long enough to look like the "OK" picture. I'm not mad... But it would have been really nice if I could've finished my bike tonight.

Your friend,
Nighthawk

thwart
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
That's what happens when you have pasta machines and cable housing cutting machines in the same room... ;)

Have you checked the length of your last box of rigatoni? :D

thirdgenbird
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Was it shorter than normal or did they shrink it? I've always had plenty and I ride a 58cm

thegunner
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
it's cases like this where i'm glad i messed up that order and bought a spool of cable housing :)

akelman
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Campy can never fail us. Only we can fail Campy.

nighthawk
01-06-2013, 07:28 PM
The cable is the same length as they usually provide, its just a rigitoni short for the vamoots im putting together. i think the issue is really the moots rear dropout forces the cable off at a weird angle, but longer in this situation would definitely be better. It just would have been nice to have that option out of the package.

thirdgenbird
01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm so used to campy kits that I nearly screwed up a jagwire kit. I cut the shift housing in half thinking there was a dedicated RD section. Fortunately I had just enough.

martinrjensen
01-06-2013, 08:20 PM
sorry to hear that. Out of 5 campy builds with new cable sets, no problems.

changes2008
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Just built up my size 58 frame this past week and had plenty. What are you on a 63cm frame? :confused:

lhuerta
01-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Campagnolo had never failed me in over 30 years of wrenching....are you sure the cable set wasn't open when u bought it and someone had already trimmed the cable loop? Please show us some pics so we could see what u are referring to. Lou

ultraman6970
01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
Havent use campy cables in so long that I dont even remember if the box comes with a cable already cut for the rd... worse case scenario, 1 foot of jagwire is more than enough for a long and nice curve.

nighthawk
01-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Ok, ok. You've all got me convinced, ill take another look at it after work tonight. I've never had problems with their cable kits in the past either, but on the vamoots it's definitely questionable. Ill snap a photo later for reference.

We still friends, Tullio?

oldpotatoe
01-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the cable housing kit with the rear derailleur cable housing too short for my average sized frame. I appreciate that you supply a little picture of what my cable housing should look like.... But with the housing you provide it looks like the "No" picture... And the shifting is inadequate. I guess I'll go to my LBS tomorrow and buy jagwire housing long enough to look like the "OK" picture. I'm not mad... But it would have been really nice if I could've finished my bike tonight.

Your friend,
Nighthawk

Same for shimano--BUT use 5mm housing back there with metal(brass) ferrules...

New Vamoots? Wee bit longer stays..may be the 'issue', but use 5mm housing regardless..

nighthawk
01-07-2013, 07:57 AM
5mm der housing in the back, aye? Ill give it a shot if I can't get the supplied housing to work.

nighthawk
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Quick update...

The housing is fine. I finally got around to taking a second look at it, and all is well. Must have been tired the first time around. I still think it is a "tad" short... But I used the whole thing, so why don't we just call it "perfect".

Pics of the finished build up soon in the gallery. Just need to wrap some bar tape.

cash05458
01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
there you went and blamed campy and it was pretty much you...:no:

you gonna be ok with that bartape?

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Your friend,
Nighthawk

Yeah, man, and why no cable end caps?! Do Campy cables have a mystical non fraying super power? Huh, do they? :p

tsarpepe
01-12-2013, 04:44 PM
It's impressive to see how many people jump to the defense of Campy, as if their own well-being depended on it.

binxnyrwarrsoul
01-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Campy, love/hate. Always has been, always will be.

nighthawk
01-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, man, and why no cable end caps?! Do Campy cables have a mystical non fraying super power? Huh, do they? :p

That's the other thing I need to pick up... I only had two in my tool box. Doh!

cash05458
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
It's impressive to see how many people jump to the defense of Campy, as if their own well-being depended on it.

of course our well being depends on this...but take a hike you shimano freakazoid...:bike:

nighthawk
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
there you went and blamed campy and it was pretty much you...:no:

you gonna be ok with that bartape?

I'll be ok. As long as its long enough!

cash05458
01-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I'll be ok. As long as its long enough!

lol...I don't know the italian translation of our redneck get er done...but go for it...thing about campy is talking bad and blaming brings brings some bad jap voodoo...or so I hear...christ, btw I have two bikes set up with shimano...so I aint innocent...

oldpotatoe
01-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Well, it does....