PDA

View Full Version : Replacing an axle puller chain tensioner

Louis
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I recently bought a new, already built-up, single-speed 29'r MTB and it came to me with the axle-puller bolts bent on both sides. It happened exactly where you would expect, bent inward where the threaded portion comes out of the round black donut. (see pics below for a web image of the exact model)

I would guess that one side is bent ~30* and the other ~25*. It probably happened due to a combination of too much pulling and a low-quality bolt. I bet this is a relatively common thing, because some pullers (including this one) do not pull back in a straight line, but at an angle, which gets worse and worse the farther you go.

I might have just left them on, but I needed to take the rear wheel off to change the tire, so now that I have it apart, I think I should consider fixing things.

I figure I have at least 4 options:

1) Put wheel back on without even using a puller.

2) Leave it as is (re-use bent puller).

3) Try to bend them back and re-use.

4) Replace with a better model.

Any suggestions? If I go with #4, have you found any particular types to be better than the others?

TIA

http://www.universalcycles.com/images/products/small/48960.jpg

DRietz
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
If you're going to be riding the thing, you should just not use those tensioners. They get in the way, IMO.

Louis
01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
This is the first time I'll be using a bike without a dérailleur. I thought the tensioners helped a) tension the chain, b) align the wheel, and c) keep the axle from slipping in the dropouts.

Are they not really necessary after all?

DRietz
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
This is the first time I'll be using a bike without a dérailleur. I thought the tensioners helped a) tension the chain, b) align the wheel, and c) keep the axle from slipping in the dropouts.

Are they not really necessary after all?

Sure, they help do all that, but if you're to become a competent SS rider, you might as well learn how to hold the wheel where you want it whilst you tension the chain, align the wheel, and crank on the axle bolts enough to keep the axle from slipping.

It's really not that big of a deal, to be honest.

Louis
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks - if I have a hard time finding a replacement I'll just leave it off.

Mr Cabletwitch
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM
I've used the surly model and it worked well, but if you have a bolt on rear axle you can probably get away without any. If you do find some slipping you can just use one on the drive side and you should be fine.