PDA

View Full Version : Drying Lycra cycling clothes...

dd74
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey, how do you guys dry your Lycra cycling clothes; jerseys, shorts, jackets, etc., after washing them? Do you hang them up on pegs or do something else?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

fa63
01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I wash them on gentle cycle (or handwash them), then hang it on one of these to dry:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/230/3844313624755P.JPG

Bruce K
01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
+1

Racks at Target, Walmart, you name it

BK

LouDeeter
01-06-2013, 04:14 PM
After removing from the washer, I put the jerseys on hangers with bibs looped by the straps over the jersey hanger hook that they go with. Leave them in the laundry room overnight.

giverdada
01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
used to dry my stuff in the dryer hoping the heat would de-funkify them. it just broke down the fabric and elastic and everything else at an accelerated pace. now everything is hang to dry. been using Eco-Ver detergent for years and it works well. assos blue liquid stuff is also phenomenal for staying in sportswear and making it smell fresh for longer than 15 minutes into a warm-up. one handy place to hang all of this stuff is on the non-drive side of the bike, just make sure it's not soaking wet, and not resting on stuff you don't want damp, like your saddle or bar tape...

Lovetoclimb
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
I hang it all from a clothesline I have in the guest bedroom. Sometimes I put an oscillating fan on the heavier stuff that tends to hold water. Unzip all zippers and usually turn bibshorts inside out (chamois facing out).

Louis
01-06-2013, 05:14 PM
I wait until I have an entire washer load full, then do everything at once. I put them on hangers (shorts too), put the hangers on a rod I installed in the laundry room, and blow air across them using a small 6" fan. I usually leave the fan on overnight, then let them hang there a few days (sometimes more, if I'm lazy) before putting them away in the "bike stuff" dresser.

ultraman6970
01-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Cycling stuff dries really quick because is designed to drop humidity quick.

You wont have problems leaving a jersey to dry overnight in the bathroom over the courtain rod for example. As for the bibs and shorts is almost the same situation but here the key is the chamois, some stuff overnight is super dry, other brands takes tiny longer.

pdmtong
01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
everything on individual hangers with the bibs inside out

hang in garage on rigid clothes line made from old push broom poles.

summer time no issue dry in a few hours or so.

winter time I hang inside on 2nd shower curtain rod I set over tub/shower.
house heat enough to dry whatever I wear overnight.

like most of you, I have accumulated enough stuff to have two of most things. so, if not dry, not a big deal.

nothing in the dryer. ever.

AngryScientist
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
we have one of those racks like FA63 shows in the basement. i have quite a few things that i wont throw in the dryer, like jeans that fit perfect, etc.

my washing machine has a "hand wash" cycle too, almost everything i actually care about clothing-wise gets washed on that cycle and hung to dry.

we use the dryer mostly for bulk items like sheets and towels, etc.

azrider
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
wash regular cycle, air dry on rack similar to above. Since i live in AZ i put rack outside and let the sun kill all chance of bacteria

ofcounsel
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I've just always had mine washed and dried in the washer and dryer. The washer and dryer have sensors that are supposed to sense what sort of stuff goes in them and how much heat they need. Never really had an issue.

rePhil
01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Am I the only one that still has a outside clothes line?

AngryScientist
01-06-2013, 07:45 PM

no, we have one here too, but really cant use it this time of year.

shovelhd
01-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Outside on a clothesline during the season. Inside in the dryer on delicate long run time.

FlashUNC
01-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Rack, hang 'em on a hanger, or just spread 'em out on a towel on the floor.

Usually some combination of all three.

Bkat
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I give them to my wife and they wind up in the closet miraculously dry!

Johnny P
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM

No. I use either an outside clothesline or one in the basement for hanging laundry. The basement one takes a day to dry. Outside in the summer, just a few hours.

ofcounsel
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
I give them to my wife and they wind up in the closet miraculously dry!

This is how it happens with me too. :)

BumbleBeeDave
01-07-2013, 10:19 AM
. . . use mild detergent, cold water cycle, gentle agitation, and hang dry. Works great.

BBD

carpediemracing
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I use the dryer on gentle with a Bounce sheet for everything. I know the sheets are supposed to reduce wicking etc but I can't tell so I use one. The only thing is I try to wash any velcro stuff separately from my kit stuff, so the gloves and booties go in with my regular clothing (or Junior's wash, which does not get a dryer sheet).

Reading about everyone else's procedures I realized that if I hung my cycling gear I'd be able to introduce more humidity into the house (which is good in the winter). We have two humidifiers running and the house is usually at 40% or lower. Something to consider.

I have enough stuff that I cycle through my gear pretty slowly on the trainer. Wear isn't really an issue. I have Verge shorts from 10 years ago - wore them as part of my team kit for 5 years, still wear them when I train outside, wear them regularly on the trainer, and sometimes even race in them.

I don't own any super fancy shorts except some Castelli Body Paint shorts a friend got at a trader show and gave me. I'm not keen on them but I'll wear them on the trainer. I wash them the same as any other pair of shorts I own.

bluesea
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Air dried inside out, on X racks. I don't use a dryer for anything, ever.

jmoore
01-07-2013, 11:06 AM
wash gentle cycle with a bit of Arm&Hammer baking soda to kill the smell.

dry in the dryer on gentle/low cycle for about 10 minutes. never an issue and my stuff doesn't stink. the only stuff that doesn't go in the dryer is my wool/wool blend jerseys.

pdmtong
01-07-2013, 12:29 PM
The only thing is I try to wash any velcro stuff separately from my kit stuff, so the gloves and booties go in with my regular clothing (or Junior's wash, which does not get a dryer sheet).

go to target or walmart and buy a mesh zippered wash bag to put the velcro stuff in. now you can wash all your cycling stuff together...same with the bibs..in a wash bag so the shoulder straps dont strangle the other garments.

TomNY
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
I wash all cycling workout clothes with Oxi whatever that powder is named, and a HD detergent in the high efficiency washing machine. After spin dry i put each garment on it's own hanger. In summer about an hour in the sun, they are done. Otherwise I have a clothes line strung in basement in front of furnace area. The clothes dry over night. I also safety pin socks into pairs, or multi pairs prior to washing. I also drape these over hangers. When the socks are dry, they are de pinned and roll - folded for storage. If they are gym socks I keep the pins on so when I change out of them, the socks are paired and ready for washing. I have reduced my single sock mess to just about zero.

Jaq
01-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I wash all cycling workout clothes with Oxi whatever that powder is named, and a HD detergent in the high efficiency washing machine. After spin dry i put each garment on it's own hanger. In summer about an hour in the sun, they are done. Otherwise I have a clothes line strung in basement in front of furnace area. The clothes dry over night. I also safety pin socks into pairs, or multi pairs prior to washing. I also drape these over hangers. When the socks are dry, they are de pinned and roll - folded for storage. If they are gym socks I keep the pins on so when I change out of them, the socks are paired and ready for washing. I have reduced my single sock mess to just about zero.

Not fer nuthin, but you seriously need to get laid.

torquer
01-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Outside clothes lines have been rebranded as "solar dryers." We should lobby for tax credits for using 'em.

And repeating a helpful hint from a recent related thread, don't forget to zip up your tops before washing. Helps ensure longer zipper life.

Louis
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Not fer nuthin, but you seriously need to get laid.

How does that help keep the sock drawer organized? :confused:

pdmtong
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
not fer nuthin, but you seriously need to get laid.

rotflmao

AgilisMerlin
01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
I wash them on gentle cycle (or handwash them), then hang it on one of these to dry:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/230/3844313624755P.JPG

and a wood stove

jonbek
01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I always air dry.

CAAD
01-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Delicate wash cycle then the lowest heat setting on the dryer. No problems with the gear falling apart.