PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a bike by the ocean...

dd74
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
My family has access to a house that's very close to the Pacific Ocean. I was thinking of keeping a bike out there so that each time we go, I don't have to schlep a whole bike. The frame will likely be carbon or possibly Ti. I won't keep a steel bike there. However, the components are most likely to be Campy 11, but with aluminum wheels, probably clinchers at this rate.

So my question is, if I do this, what's the best way to store this bike to prevent Mother Nature (salt air from the sea, mostly0 from inflicting damage on the frame and in particular, the group set and wheels? I should probably hang the bike to begin with, right?

Thanks for the help.

fa63
01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Listen to your own advice in your signature line ;)

Really though, you should be OK as long as the bike is stored inside. I would also wash the bike before putting it away to be safe.

dd74
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Listen to your own advice in your signature line ;)

Really though, you should be OK as long as the bike is stored inside.
LOL. Me not babying my bike and Mother Nature not babying my bike are two distinctly different actions. :)

bargainguy
01-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Kabuki once marketed a stainless steel tube Submariner model w/cast aluminum lugs just for this purpose, resistance to salt water spray for those in coastal regions.

Doesn't do diddly for anything else except the frame, and doubtful you'd want it for Campy 11 because it's rather heavy-ish, but an interesting marketing concept nonetheless.

MattTuck
01-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I think you're going to keep it inside? I can't imagine it would get that much salt if it were in a properly secured house.

If you want to be really careful with it, I guess you could get some big industrial trash bags and could probably find some dessicant (spelling?) from a hardware store, and just seal up the bike with duct tape and trash bags.

terry
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I live 1/4 mile from the water on Buzzards Bay-cape cod and the only problem I've encountered was some rusting of the steel stem bolts. I plan on replacing them this winter with stainless or ti. I have carbon, ti, al and steel frames. With the steel I just make sure there are no bare steel nicks etc on the painted frame/fork, and I use frame saver.

Hindmost
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I once lived within shouting distance of the Golden Gate. On a steel bike the chrome and the steel bolts on the bike were slightly affected. Looking back I probably should have frame-savered it.

Usual, periodic cleaning and lubrication should head off any problems.

nightfend
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Don't leave it outside.

01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
I live about a hundred yards from saltwater. The first year all my bikes developed problems from the salt. A couple big steel storage cabinets just bloomed rust in huge quantities. After one winter, every paint can was so rusted it would crumble before the lid would come off.

That was the last winter for any problems with the bikes. Here are a few pointers I learned:

1. Don't bag, isolate, dry your bike. You'll never get it dry enough. Keep the frame finish repaired, wax it regularly, and spray a nice durable oil like Boeshield on all the metal parts. For those applications like quill stem hardware, cartridge bottom brackets, etc., use Framesaver.

2. Proximity to concrete really increases the rate of rusting because the concrete holds water and is in its own right rather caustic. I hang bikes upright (by saddle and stem) and high.

3. Condensation is the worst. Don't move a bike from a cold ride into a warm house. It'll be covered in moisture everywhere, including inside the tubes. Slow transitions, or always keep the bike at ambient temperature.

4. FWIW, Shimano 7800 was much better at resisting corrosion spots than was 7700, and 7900 is much better yet. And it seems consistently better than Campy. Just sayin'.

5. Washing your bike well is paramount. A spray with Windex doesn't suffice. After a ride, I use a soft auto carwash brush and a pail with the dilute carwashing solution (the stuff that doesn't have to be rinsed off). Make sure everything gets scrubbed and cleaned, then bring it into the warmth and towel it dry. Once it's completely dry, take it out to the garage or bike shed and plan to ride it from there (don't bring it in to pump up the tires or condensation happens again).

6. A ti frame with modern components is still a big advantage. Some carbon components (especially cranks) seem to develop blooms that come through the clearcoat. I haven't seen the problem on any carbon frame except one Cervelo, but it's almost ubiquitous on bikes with Campy carbon cranks. Not sure why. They're even worse than Dura Ace 7700 alloy cranks, and that's pretty bad.

7. Industrial supplies have some things sort of like the electrolytic traps used on boats in marinas, but intended to keep big industrial machinery from rusting. They work well. Only need one, then wire it with alligator clips to all your bikes. The trap does the corrosion rather than your bike.

8. Other than that, it's generally about cleanliness and about avoiding an environment in the room that favors corrosion (that's where those electrolytic traps work so well).

one60
01-07-2013, 06:14 PM
LPS-3 (www.lpslabs.com) is a good rust preventative/inhibitor. It goes on as a waxy film not unlike framesaver . I've sprayed it on the interior tubing of my steel bike (but not the exterior). Its paint-safe, lubricates and displaces water so it should be safe to apply on the frame, chain etc prior to storing (after a quick wash). It can be removed with degreaser.

I have been told at the LBS its what boaters use on their bikes when out at sea to prevent corrosion. Perhaps a marine supply store could offer some suggestions?

Jaq
01-08-2013, 02:52 AM
I grew up in a town on the beach. Now I live about six miles inland. I can't begin to tell you how many bikes I went through. Sometimes I went through several a year. Once, I locked my bike up outside my girlfriend's house overnight, and the next day, the elements had literally dissolved the WHOLE bike. They even ate through one of the links of the chain. There was nothing left but the chain and the lock. It's freaky how bad-ass Mother Nature can be.

jpw
01-08-2013, 04:55 AM
I think you're going to keep it inside? I can't imagine it would get that much salt if it were in a properly secured house.

If you want to be really careful with it, I guess you could get some big industrial trash bags and could probably find some dessicant (spelling?) from a hardware store, and just seal up the bike with duct tape and trash bags.

+1

...and smear anything that might suffer with a little grease.

Charles M
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Have Kelly Bedford make you a full stainless custom...

jpw
01-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Have Kelly Bedford make you a full stainless custom...

a little grease is a little cheaper charles :-)

Charles M
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
And depending what you do with it, a greasy hand can also be fun and satisfying:banana:.

But I'd go kB stainless.