PDA

View Full Version : Reattaching a head tube badge ???

DHallerman
01-06-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm rebuilding a frame where the head tube badge came off. (Actually, it had been repainted several years ago, and the badge came off then.)

That badge had originally been glued to the head tube, no screws or such.

So, what's the best way to reattach that badge?

Super glue?
Other type of glue?
Some kind of tape?

What do you use to attach a badge to a head tube?

Dave, who says this particular frame is his stealth Bridgestone RB-1 that's all white and no decals

yngpunk
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Dave, who says this particular frame is his stealth Bridgestone RB-1 that's all white and no decals

Since this is an RB-1, Grant Peterson would suggest Shoe Goo

phcollard
01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Double sided tape will work (the thick one like you use for carpets). Or if you want something more permanent you could use epoxy glue.

henrypretz
01-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Gorilla Glue seems like it might handle this job more effectively than Super Glue.

Lewis Moon
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Gorilla Glue seems like it might handle this job more effectively than Super Glue.

You have to watch the expansion/foaming of Gorilla Glue. I like one of the thick rubber glues like one of the Goo products.

AngryScientist
01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
go to the auto parts store and get automotive trim adhesive. that's what it's made for.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/mmm/03601_3m_plastic_emblem_and_trim_adhesive.jpg

DHallerman
01-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Since this is an RB-1, Grant Peterson would suggest Shoe Goo

Really?

Wouldn't he suggest beeswax?

Dave, who was BOB #56 which is another way of saying he's appreciated many things GP has noted over the years but doesn't drink any powdered-fake-juice drink either

DHallerman
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
go to the auto parts store and get automotive trim adhesive. that's what it's made for.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/mmm/03601_3m_plastic_emblem_and_trim_adhesive.jpg

That's the ticket, I believe.

Thanks for pointing it out.

AngryScientist
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
That's the ticket, I believe.

Thanks for pointing it out.

no problem Dave.

the truth is, a variety of adhesives will work for the low demand task, but if you have to buy something, you may as well buy the best adhesive for the task. 3M makes top notch stuff, and you can literally get it at any auto parts store.

p.s. - this stuff held the "S-10" emblem on my old truck for over a decade, with the truck outside in every weather imaginable, so it's pretty secure stuff.

BumbleBeeDave
01-06-2013, 10:39 AM
. . will do it securely, you can trim it to match the outlines of the badge, and this will allow you to remove it in the future if you wish without tearing up the paint too much. You can also use a sharpie to cloor the edges of the tape to obscure the white outline.

To remove, just take a piece of dental floss and saw through the tape foam, then remove the residue with mineral spirits. I did this for the customer badge on my cross bike and it works like a charm.

BBD

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.how2skate.com/assets/images/guides/shoegoo-1.jpg

roguedog
01-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Thanks for this. Have had the head badge off my Atlantis for years and was wary of the shoo Goo recommendation since it had popped off after a few years of use. I was lucky to see it on the ground.

Though I kinda like it de-badged as well..but at least now I know what to use.

Ok.. ignorant question.. If I have to do a repaint how hard is it get the head badge off with the trim epoxy?

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
more/much shoe goo :eek:

Hank Scorpio
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
A more short term solution if you are considering painting in the future.

merlincustom1
01-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I used JB Weld to secure a Jen Green sterling silver badge. Good stuff.

johnniecakes
01-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I used JB weld to attach a silver head badge to my Dean titanium, it's been there for 3 years now.

oldpotatoe
01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm rebuilding a frame where the head tube badge came off. (Actually, it had been repainted several years ago, and the badge came off then.)

That badge had originally been glued to the head tube, no screws or such.

So, what's the best way to reattach that badge?

Super glue?
Other type of glue?
Some kind of tape?

If ya want it to stay...wee holes in head badge, wee holes in headtube..tap-screw in.

Hawker
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
I've always really appreciated nice head badges that didn't use screws or similar.

merlincustom1, I would imagine JB Weld would do the trick for several lifetimes or at least until LA confesses.