PDA

View Full Version : Tacx Tao Lightweight Cages

Plum Hill
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I've used Tacx Tao cages for a number of years and am happy with them.
LBS says the standard cages are backordered for months; lightweight ones are available.
Bike Radar review says the lightweight (all plastic) cage breaks easily.
Any personal experiences with this cage?

Louis
01-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Have you looked around on the web for the online outfits or e-bay? I bet someone out there has a pair of the "regular" cages for sale.

soulspinner
01-06-2013, 04:16 AM
They break with 750ml bottles eventually, broke two. Perhaps with smaller bottles, less mass they wouldnt.

Hank Scorpio
01-06-2013, 07:04 AM
What color do you want? I have a friend who is selling a pair of the Silver regular ones for cheap. I can confirm tomorrow that they have all the hardware if you are interested.

Bob Ross
01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Bike Radar review says the lightweight (all plastic) cage breaks easily.

The regular Tao cages break easily!!!

I had Tao cages on all three of my bikes, so six cages total...I've had to replace the L-bracket that supports the bottom of the bottle on all six cages more than once! It snaps right at the 90° bend when you hit a sharp bump.

After the last time I called the US distributor and asked for more replacement L-brackets they said "Yes, we're aware those break, perhaps the Tao just isn't the right cage for you" and they sent me some of their traditional metal bottle cages.

Plum Hill
01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Main objective was to support the LBS.
Thanks.

jemoryl
01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I guess I'm easy on my equipment, as I've used the metal/plastic Tao cages for tens of thousands of miles and only one has broken (at the plastic L). Still, they are so inexpensive it doesn't bug me. Mine usually come from Ribble or one of the UK vendors where they can run around $10.